Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

You got that right. $avings galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The one as it is written, or the one Stephen Breyer describes as "evolving"?
Great point. As a Constitutional originalist, I do not believe the U.S. Constitution is a "living, breathing, growing, adapting, evolving" document!

I believe it means what is says—nothing more, nothing less.

Those idiots in black robes that "legislate" from the bench and try to mold the Constitution like silly putty are IMO tyrants and enemies of freedom.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 PM

396 posts, read 399,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Great point. As a Constitutional originalist, I do not believe the U.S. Constitution is a "living, breathing, growing, adapting, evolving" document!

I believe it means what is says—nothing more, nothing less.

Those idiots in black robes that "legislate" from the bench and try to mold the Constitution like silly putty are IMO tyrants and enemies of freedom.
I can understand your point

Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...does that include Brown v. Board of Education?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Domestic:

*Attempt to implement pay as you go in Congress/Balanced Budget Amendment to attempt fiscal sanity.

*Fix immigration as best I could- Seal the border and streamline the process so that people who do come legally can better do so.

*Decriminalize most drugs, disband the DEA and use the savings to hopefully get entitlement spending into the black.
*Institute SI Metric as the sole and official measuring system of the land as per Article I, Section 8 and lead by example by using ISO A4 paper instead of "Letter" and using hole punchers and other office supplies compatible with the new environmentally friendly ISO series papers. (My First Commandment: Thou shalt not have other Kings besides Me--the foot's length is based on a 12th-Century ENGLISH King's foot. This is not acceptable in our Republic.)

*Replacing the polluting dollar bill with the more environmentally friendly dollar coin and propose a new quarter-eagle ($2.50) coin to replace the $2 bill.

*Eliminating Daylight Savings Time and transitioning to UTC to eliminate time zones and jetlag.

*Prolonging the flashcut of February 17, 2009 to a date 15-20 years in the future and requiring that all TVs sold must have a digital tuner.

*Re-establish the FREEDOM of Movement by eliminating immigration laws and basing rights and responsibilities on residency and making moving to the U.S. easier. Ex-pats who vote in elections make me mad!

*Legalizing Drugs and removing ageist Alcohol laws and other ageist legislation. Use the time for drug commercials to educate the public about the rules of SI especially for spacing, symbols, and prefixes.

*Establish Pay-As-You-Go as a constitutional amendment. I've seen it work in TEXAS with majority Republican-representation. Without that Constitutional provision, TEXAS would be bankrupt. I heard a rumor that they cannot even balance their own chequebooks.

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-09-2007 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
*Establish Pay-As-You-Go as a constitutional amendment. I've seen it work in TEXAS with majority Republican-representation. Without that Constitutional provision, TEXAS would be bankrupt.
I'm wanting to understand more of the "Pay-As-You-Go" thing. Does it mean government only spends what it makes? Please elaborate.

Last edited by grew-up-3rd-culture; 10-09-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hmmm...does that include Brown v. Board of Education?
Ah yes, the decision that led to involuntary (forced) busing! Classic case of bureaucrats restricting freedom to implement a one-size-fits-all "solution" w/o any thought to practicality or people's individual choices.

That experiment in government-imposed social engineering precipitated the destruction of our inner cities due to "white flight" and later middle-class "black flight"—perfect examples of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Brown v. Board would've been an excellent case to defer under the 10th Amendment, leaving the decisions in the hands of state & local authorities, rather that dictate from on high (Washington) how local folks should run their schools.

And before any accusation is leveled that I'd support segregation: forget it! I support individual choice and personal freedom, period.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, the decision that led to involuntary (forced) busing
Did it not remove forced segregation in public schools? The busing came later in the 70s. I agree with the futility of it, but I do not know if I would blame Brown for that.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM

OK, to answer the question that actually started this thread, here's what I'd do...

1. Kill the terrorists, even if that means spying on them first.
2. Seal the borders and deport all illegals.
3. Cut taxes. (Replace current system with FAIR or Flat Tax)
4. Shrink the government, eliminate stupid regulations and worthless departments.
5. Appoint Constitutional Originalist judges to the courts.
6. Decentralize all gov't activities except the military. (Less Fed, more states' rights)
7. Adopt English as the Official language.

Lanc

Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
OK, to answer the question that actually started this thread, here's what I'd do...

1. Kill the terrorists, even if that means spying on them first.
2. Seal the borders and deport all illegals.
3. Cut taxes. (Replace current system with FAIR or Flat Tax)
4. Shrink the government, eliminate stupid regulations and worthless departments.
5. Appoint Constitutional Originalist judges to the courts.
6. Decentralize all gov't activities except the military. (Less Fed, more states' rights)
7. Adopt English as the Official language.

Lanc
In reference to number:

1. Agree w/ reservations
2. Disagree
3. Disagree w/ reservations
4. Agree
5. Disagree w/ reservations
6. Disagree
7. Disagree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies