Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo View Post
Don't forget tattoos and limited edition kicks.

I don't have any of the former and don't know what you mean by the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I'm curious, ok, nosey. Are you able to direct where your 401K deposits go? My spouse had a 401K years ago during the S&L crisis, and it lost a majority of it's value, and her administrator was doing the directing of her funds, without her having a say so.

I got two 401K's. One is with TRowe Price and I can move my around in different funds. The other is with Merril Lynch where I can do the same. In both you have wide choices of where your money goes. Anywhere from high risk stock funds to safe money market instruments.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Whehn you look at the non-participation rate that is not surprising. Its hard to save when you don't work.

It's hard to save when you're earning minimum wage and paying half your income on rent. (According to Mortgage News Daily, half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing.)

Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I got two 401K's. One is with TRowe Price and I can move my around in different funds. The other is with Merril Lynch where I can do the same. In both you have wide choices of where your money goes. Anywhere from high risk stock funds to safe money market instruments.

I don't have any of those either. Am I on a roll or what?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
An explanation?

Broadland v. Richistan: We Do the Math | BillMoyers.com

Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It depends I think on what else is going on--- some people might not have $500 or more in a quickly accessible bank account or cash sitting around but they don't need it. They may have several 401K plans and could borrow against one if they needed to and have plenty of credit available.

Savings accounts don't get much interest and are too easily tapped into so you could leave yourself just enough to make the bills and pay off credit cards but the rest goes into a retirement plan or other long term savings.

It would matter more how many are just living pay check to pay check with no kind of savings at all. I don't really worry too much about a savings account. I might have more than that extra in a checking account that I don't plan to use.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is one of the reasons why Latinos and blacks are overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, and Romney may have record-white support. Check out the graph:

Recession widens the wealth gap by race - Jun. 21, 2012
Didn't take long but blacks and Hispanics aren't even 40% of the population and Obama has no effect on helping minorities get hired and alot of older whites with unfavorable opinions of minorities are actually the ones who do the hiring...

pretty simple to do the math... since Obama got into office, it's more blacks in college but a higher rate of unemployment lol

c'mon bud

Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, costs of operating rental property appear to not have a great deal to do with rent levels. The first obvious example of this was California after the homeowner-majority voters passed Proposition 13, rolling back and capping property assessments. Since property taxes were cut an average of 57 percent, your theory suggests rents should have fallen, but they kept going up, with local rent controls popping up in response.

Indeed, for about the past five years, landlords have reduced their mortgage costs billions of dollars by refinancing at falling interest rates, and you guessed it, rents kept going up.

As for property taxes, if you think they are out of control for homeowners, they are actually worse for landlords, because rental property is taxed at higher rates than owner-occupied homes in many states - and the homeowners who complain about THEIR property taxes being out of control are usually happy to stick it to rental properties.
Income Property is based on Income or return on investment.

34 years ago, Prop 13 passed because it was supported by many... not enough voting homeowners to do it alone.

Since Prop 13 passed, my city has added another 60% on top of the State 1%... Rental Property is subject to a Gross Receipts Tax and Rent Control... the sewer and water rates for rentals has gone from insignificant to a major expenditure... each unit pays a sewer rate... no matter if it is a studio or 5 bedrooms...

When Prop 13 passed my grade school teacher and my uncle received rent reductions...

Many landlords owned property that was not eligible for the rates or terms offered homeowners...

Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why would they favor Obama when he has presided over an increase of the wealth gap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So races of people that have had their percentage of wealth drop a higher percentage then anybody is going to support the person presiding over the country during that drop?
I had the same question. Apparently, they're incredibly easy to dupe. How else can you explain their willingness and eagerness to vote against their best interest?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I had the same question. Apparently, they're incredibly easy to dupe. How else can you explain their willingness and eagerness to vote against their best interest?
I don't think that's it. I think the explanation is that it's very easy to succumb to thinking of yourself as a victim. And it's not just the poor and nonwhites who do it. Look at all of the conservatives here who think of themselves as victims every minute of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies