Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Is Obama The "Wrong" Type Of Christian?

Wouldnt that be Gods call to make?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think this entire topic is stupid, but I'll post this link anyway.

"My Christian faith then has been a sustaining force for me over these last few years, all the more so when Michelle and I hear our faith questioned from time to time,"he said.

"We are reminded that ultimately what matters is not what other people say about us, but whether we’re being true to our conscience and true to our God."

At prayer breakfast, Obama calls Jesus “my Lord and Savior” | Tales from the Trail

I guess just like the debate about whether or not he meant "terrorism" when he said "acts of terror" now we'll hear from people who think he wasn't being specific enough when he said "my Christian faith."
Indeed.

What galls me the most is the so-called Christians who believe that they, in absolute disregard for the Lord's Word, "know" who is and isn't a Christian.
There is only one qualification: if one has professed Jesus Christ as one's Lord and Savior, one is a Christian.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Do "real" Christians believe in politics more than their god?
“Real Christians” won’t exist if not for politics. The collective compromises of two kinds
The Stupid: Bought by selling emotions, which includes bigotry as well.
The Clever: Buy the stupid, get rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Obama is a secular Christian, just like most Europeans.
Obama is a Christian, who is capable of recognizing that his religion is his own, and when elected to govern, he ought to respect what the US Constitution prescribes: No preference to ANY religion over ANY other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They both seem to have the same political view and lowering their opinion of women and children. Saudi Arabia isn't much different than the rest in their thinking, just a little more liberal.
What an idiotic idea of liberalism. I take it that you’re about as clueless about Saudi Arabia as you’re of what liberals like me stand for. Yet, you choose to speak loud.

Quote:
They all seem to have the same cause get rid of Israel..........America next. You really think Arabs aren't in on all of the wars, wasn't just a Bush thought!!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Bible says you shall not commit murder. Are we forcing Christianity down people's throats when supporting laws against murder?
It is, then, a good thing that Moses pre-dates Christianity.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In your opinion, are Mormons the "right type of Christian?"
It depends on how that individual lives. If they are a devout Mormon, then it's possible they probably aren't, but it's impossible to categorize a whole group of people as one thing or another.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Invalid analogy. Why by definition cannot call themselves a lawyer without passing the bar. Christian beliefs are largely subjective and have been for 2000 years. There is no one size fits all Christian. I'm not saying going to church or calling oneself a Christian makes it so. But since people everywhere disagree on what exactly is required to be a Christian, it has no objective standard. Being "scripturally" based isn't a requirement to be a Christian either.
Christianity is only subjective to the people that want to make it subjective. How can we all read and follow the same book, but have different standards? That makes no sense. Do you really think God is going to judge us differently? If you call yourself a Christian and your life doesn't line up with that, then you are going be held to the same standard as Christian who life represents what they claim they believe.

Quote:
How many conservative theocrats do we have on this board who claim we are a Christian nation, founded by Christians? Many if not most of the founding fathers rejected tenants of Christianity that by today's standards, makes one a non-Christian.
Proof?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
It depends on how that individual lives. If they are a devout Mormon, then it's possible they probably aren't, but it's impossible to categorize a whole group of people as one thing or another.
And that is the premise of the OP. A collective, AKA "real Christians" disregards Obama as a Christian. Why do you think that is the case?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And that is the premise of the OP. A collective of "real Christians" disregard Obama as a Christian. Why do you think that is the case?
It's his actions that are being called into question. Some have already been alluded to already. For example, him celebrating Ramadan was a bit strange. It's one thing to respect other people's religious views, but it's another to celebrate them. I can't see any other President doing that. Also his support for certain policies don't line up with his beliefs. I know I hear the argument that he's the President not a Pastor, but I would argue that if his beliefs are so strong then he should have ran a campaign based on what he believe and let the people decide if that is who they want as a President. In other words, he doesn't HAVE TO change his beliefs, he chose to because that's what he thought would get him the presidency. So in essence, his position has become more valuable than his moral convictions.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Laws against murder are a universal tenant of any civilized society and predates the 10 Commandments. You can't have a happy, 1st World society with everyone killing each other. Has nothing to do with Christianity. Purely secular nations feel the same way.
Extremely flawed logic. Extremely flawed. This is the concept of relative truth and why it never works. What would you say about countries like Saudi Arabia for example that kill homosexuals? Does that sound like murder is unacceptable? There are far, far too many cultures in this world to say that murder is universally accepted as being wrong. Is stealing universally accepted as being wrong? There are some places where it's survival of the fittest. There is no such thing as a universal tenant.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Christianity is only subjective to the people that want to make it subjective. How can we all read and follow the same book, but have different standards? That makes no sense. Do you really think God is going to judge us differently? If you call yourself a Christian and your life doesn't line up with that, then you are going be held to the same standard as Christian who life represents what they claim they believe.
Maybe because for one, you're not all reading from the same book. There are a handful of versions of the Christian Bible, all of which were written by man (not God) and subject to translation and contextual errors. Even among the same version, there is significant debate about the proper translation and context of the words. One example is the same sex marriage issue. There are many theologians (ones with actual education into the Bible) who will tell you that if you really read and understand the Bible, there is no condemnation of consensual homosexual behavior between adults. If you want the links, I'll be happy to go find them for you.

As for the beliefs of the founding fathers, this site has some good info.

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies