Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 PM

236 posts, read 442,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's on your money. Check it out.

(Sigh). Is this place for real?

What were you talking about?? Not quite understanding this post??

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
Exactly my point. If my son walked into any of the other clubs, Foul play would be called. So it is not about African America, Mexican American. It is about black, mexican, etc
This is BS. I have yet to see an ethic club that hasn't been wholly supportive of others outside of their ethnicity joining that club, so long as the motivation were genuine.

I can all but guarantee that every law school in this nation has a Black Lawyers group that openly encourages other races to join and participate.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I seriously doubt any school would have a problem with your son starting a legitimate group based on some sort of identification - I don't think that a "Caucasian Club" has the same degree of identification as an "African-American Club" or a "Hispanic Club," simply because there is no overlying heritage to being Caucasian. Like others have said, perhaps a "German-American," "Irish-American," or even "American" club would more than likely be approved, though the latter should be open to any and all races. As a matter of fact, all of these clubs should be open to anyone. I know the Hispanic and Black clubs at my university were.

I do question the motivation of starting such a club, however. If he's doing it to search for others to identify with a certain heritage, fine. If he's just doing it in spite of these other clubs, he and you are being ridiculous.
I dont see how it is being any more ridiculous than them calling him a racist for wanting to start one. Why is it Ok for them to celebrate their heritage and not for "white folk". I guess if he really wanted to make a point he could call it the White American group.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Because "white folk" don't have an identifying heritage in the same way that African Americans or Hispanics tend to.

But I'll entertain this point - what would the White American group identify with and celebrate?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. If my son walked into any of the other clubs, Foul play would be called. So it is not about African America, Mexican American. It is about black, Mexican, etc
Has your son tried to join the other clubs? Most times enrollment is open to everyone regardless of club focus. If a public school is excluding students for ethnic reasons, that should be grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
This is a picture of a penny.....

http://adampolselli.com/photos/pluribus.jpg

Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM

396 posts, read 399,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I guess if he really wanted to make a point he could call it the White American group.
Wow, that'd be dangerous.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
Name a non-white president.

Have you ever heard the white house referred to as the "white (or Caucasian) club"?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Because "white folk" don't have an identifying heritage in the same way that African Americans or Hispanics tend to.

But I'll entertain this point - what would the White American group identify with and celebrate?
All the "white europeans' so many are "mixed" with Irish, Scottish ,German, Welsh, Swedish, on and on, you know how many groups you would have to have! they could celebrate and learn about all their ancestors put into America.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Wow, that'd be dangerous.
He would certainly make his point. Being a white American, why would i join an Hispanic group or an African American group or an Asian group, what does that leave me, Chess club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies