U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,359 posts, read 19,608,770 times
Reputation: 7859

Advertisements

We have a problem in this country folks!

Quote:
Deputies searched Sunday for a shooter after multiple people were wounded when someone opened fire at a spa near a suburban Milwaukee shopping mall.
Deputies Search for Suspect in Wis. Mall Shooting - ABC News

 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,208,858 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have a problem in this country folks!
Yes we do. This trend is disturbing and downright scary. I read about this just a few minutes ago. Thanks for posting about it.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
14,935 posts, read 13,320,636 times
Reputation: 4553
It's probably a sign that more and more people are not getting their mental illnesses adequately treated with medication. We didn't have nearly this many shootings going on back decades ago when mental institutions were widely available to treat people. If we feel that having far fewer mental institutions now is better for the mental patient, thanks largely to advances in psychiatric medicine, then we better make sure they are getting adequate treatment.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,208,858 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's probably a sign that more and more people are not getting their mental illnesses adequately treated with medication. We didn't have nearly this many shootings going on back decades ago when mental institutions were widely available to treat people. If we feel that having far fewer mental institutions now is better for the mental patient, then we better make sure they are getting adequate treatment.
Nowadays there really is less of a need for mental institutions thanks to advances in medicine. Medications can now treat or manage the vast majority of severe mental illnesses. While I don't like the idea of forcing people to take medicine, it should be done in more cases (though there need to be very specific standards and requirements that are not deviated from).

The other things to consider - bad economic times can breed desperation in more people and cause people who were less mentally stable to begin with to lose it. And, while some people may not like this, yes, the breakdown in families over time has contributed to more of these tragedies.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
 
5,278 posts, read 3,494,636 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's probably a sign that more and more people are not getting their mental illnesses adequately treated with medication. We didn't have nearly this many shootings going on back decades ago when mental institutions were widely available to treat people. If we feel that having far fewer mental institutions now is better for the mental patient, then we better make sure they are getting adequate treatment.
Our culture of violence makes borderline individuals more likely to resort to it.

Are you saying there are less shootings or less mass shootings/spree killings? The violent crime rate has been dropping steadily for decades now. I have a feeling the number of mass shootings relative to population probably has dropped as well. I've never seen data on that.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,208,858 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Our culture of violence makes borderline individuals more likely to resort to it.

Are you saying there are less shootings or less mass shootings/spree killings? The violent crime rate has been dropping steadily for decades now. I have a feeling the number of mass shootings relative to population probably has dropped as well. I've never seen data on that.
There might be fewer shootings, but I think there are probably more mass shootings. The majority of mass shootings have been over the past 15 years or so.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,359 posts, read 19,608,770 times
Reputation: 7859
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Nowadays there really is less of a need for mental institutions thanks to advances in medicine. Medications can now treat or manage the vast majority of severe mental illnesses. While I don't like the idea of forcing people to take medicine, it should be done in more cases (though there need to be very specific standards and requirements that are not deviated from).

The other things to consider - bad economic times can breed desperation in more people and cause people who were less mentally stable to begin with to lose it. And, while some people may not like this, yes, the breakdown in families over time has contributed to more of these tragedies.
The problem is that schizophrenics, if not closely monitored, will go off of their medication. It is not a question of if but when.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,208,858 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The problem is that schizophrenics, if not closely monitored, will go off of their medication. It is not a question of if but when.
And maybe they do need to be monitored. Maybe they should be required to report to some place every day and take their medicine under supervision, but I don't think the mentally ill should be locked up other than as an absolute last resort.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,746,596 times
Reputation: 3272
Pretty bad when I'm never shocked at these stories any more. Yet another mass killing in the gun-worshipping USA.
 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,986,112 times
Reputation: 2279
Milwaukee News, Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, and Sports - WISN Milwaukees Channel 12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top