Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,198 times

Advertisements

Why do you suppose? Please refrain from posting mindless trash like Romney is a fascist far right winger or Obama is a Communist. I would like to read some intelligent ideas not partisan ramblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Why do you suppose? Please refrain from posting mindless trash like Romney is a fascist far right winger or Obama is a Communist. I would like to read some intelligent ideas not partisan ramblings.
Politically, I think Romney and Obama are pretty dang close in terms of action....and no one should be dumb enough to take either of those two guys on their word. Both of them have proven track records of saying what it takes to get elected.

The partisan hacks will always label the other guy as some sort of gun taking, social security cutting, racist, communist, baby eater blah blah blah.

To answer your question: It has occurred because moderates in both parties and EVEN some of the radicals have come to recognize that your parties candidate has to ultimately appeal to moderates. I think some of this stems from better strategic planning in elections....better analysis. I have to think that some of it is the result of some bad drubbings by both parties in recent years due to selecting guys like Kerry for example.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The reality is the people that own and control our economy have not use of either a real conservative or a real liberal. A real conservative would try to impose an actual open and free market economy without any guarantees for the investors, speculators or bankers. A real liberal would try and do the same with more protection for the less than successful in a open market economy.

Neither a Conservative or a Liberal would allow a government system that is designed to protect big business with bailouts and military contracts and big financiers with the same methods. These people could care less about welfare for the poor or any religion at all. They care about protecting their money and will support the "moderate" politicians of either party that will do this. They have corrupted the system and we are paying for it.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
The same reason resturants make bland food

Old 12-19-2014, 01:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Please define "true."

Myself, I prefer moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats. Joe Scarborough and former NV senator Richard Bryan fit those bills, respectively, IMO.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
A far left liberal or far right conservative can't be elected in the general election, if nominated by their party. Most voters, like me, want a middle ground, flexible person to represent us. We also vote for the person who holds the most views like us, even if they don't agree on all issues.

That being said, who wants to be President these days and get raked over the coals, have their wife, kids, parents, siblings castigated and investigated. I can't imagine anyone other than a narcissist wanting that office.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-19-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The reality is the people that own and control our economy have not use of either a real conservative or a real liberal. A real conservative would try to impose an actual open and free market economy without any guarantees for the investors, speculators or bankers. A real liberal would try and do the same with more protection for the less than successful in a open market economy.

Neither a Conservative or a Liberal would allow a government system that is designed to protect big business with bailouts and military contracts and big financiers with the same methods. These people could care less about welfare for the poor or any religion at all. They care about protecting their money and will support the "moderate" politicians of either party that will do this. They have corrupted the system and we are paying for it.
This.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM

16,580 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
That will be hard to do since your assumption that Obama is not liberal is laughable.

If you were to put Obama's policies on a litmus test check list, he would be considered not only liberal, but very liberal.
So while he may not be total moonbat liberal, that does not mean he is not an overall liberal.
As to Romney, he was certainly no conservative, despite his claim to be.

The last true conservative was probably Reagan, since George HW Bush was moderate and his son while socially conservative, was fiscally all over the map. You cannot have unfunded mandates and also cut taxes.

Interestingly enough Jeb Bush was fairly conservative governor of Florida for two terms. However his current stance on immigration and "Common Core" education standards is certainly not conservative.

`

Old 12-19-2014, 03:59 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
What does conservative or liberal even mean? Both have done so much damage, I'm not sure of the wisdom of seeking out pure examples of either.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Politically, I think Romney and Obama are pretty dang close in terms of action....and no one should be dumb enough to take either of those two guys on their word. Both of them have proven track records of saying what it takes to get elected.

The partisan hacks will always label the other guy as some sort of gun taking, social security cutting, racist, communist, baby eater blah blah blah.

To answer your question: It has occurred because moderates in both parties and EVEN some of the radicals have come to recognize that your parties candidate has to ultimately appeal to moderates. I think some of this stems from better strategic planning in elections....better analysis. I have to think that some of it is the result of some bad drubbings by both parties in recent years due to selecting guys like Kerry for example.
Yup. The voters who are the most undecided are also the most centrist.

Both parties learned long ago that nominating anyone who was too far off the moderate center in either direction becomes a disastrous landslide. Barry Goldwater was the lesson for the GOP and George McGovern was the lesson for the Democrats.

Voters will turn out for populists who capture the center's imagination. That was what brought Reagan and Obama to the White House, but it's the personality that makes the difference when it happens, not the policies. The real policy wonks on either extreme never do very well, even if they gain some attention early on. Ralph Nader and Ron Paul proved that.

The Big Middle is always silent, too. They just stay quiet and go vote. EVen in these politicized times, they are the least political as a large group of all groups, and they always tend to vote for personal qualities they admire over policy posturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies