Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That must be the problem with stray shots hitting women in wisconsin hanging out their laundry....as they tend to be slightly larger than the broad side of a barn.

<just kidding folks, just kidding> Love to razz the Cheeseheads.
Most likely it is because the idiot did not pay attention to where their round would go after hitting its target. The very first rule of firearm safety is:
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second. -- http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
Obviously Italians are not much into thinking.

I have been hunting for 50 years, and I have never had any kind of mishap or accident.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Most likely it is because the idiot did not pay attention to where their round would go after hitting its target. The very first rule of firearm safety is:
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second. -- NRA Gun Safety Rules
Obviously Italians are not much into thinking.

I have been hunting for 50 years, and I have never had any kind of mishap or accident.

Absolutely, I don't hunt but I shot A LOT growing up and my dad was a stickler for safety. I used to shoot my .22 in the woods on the edge of town and always made sure to shoot down and never in the air back towards houses etc etc.

I think many of the bad shootings around hunting seasons are alcohol related.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Absolutely, I don't hunt but I shot A LOT growing up and my dad was a stickler for safety. I used to shoot my .22 in the woods on the edge of town and always made sure to shoot down and never in the air back towards houses etc etc.

I think many of the bad shootings around hunting seasons are alcohol related.
That sounds like a reasonable assessment. If I am going hunting or even just to the range to practice, I do not touch alcohol. Like driving, firearms and alcohol do not mix. Alcohol causes stupidity and bad judgement.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:
Their rate is about double that of the UK and it's an acknowledged problem there.

If it makes you feel better to compare Italy to the US then knock yourself out, but it's as fair of a comparison as oh....scooter deaths between the two countries.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Italy fails on 'no deaths' road day
An "acknowledged problem?" Scooters??

Personally, I think Italians are better drivers than Americans.

That, after taking both the US driver's exam, and the Italian driver's exam. I've passed both. But the Italian one is significantly more difficult. For good reason, imo.

Peace,
brian

Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Clearly their gun culture is to blame.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
Has a Dick Cheney joke been made yet?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Yes...page 2, I believe.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
An "acknowledged problem?" Scooters??

Personally, I think Italians are better drivers than Americans.

That, after taking both the US driver's exam, and the Italian driver's exam. I've passed both. But the Italian one is significantly more difficult. For good reason, imo.

Peace,
brian
Um, read the link perhaps and you will be less confused about it being an acknowledged problem.

People in the US are less likely to ride scooters than Italy, thus it would be dumb to claim US scooter riders are safer or better than Italian ones since fewer people die in US scooter accidents.

Your comparing the Italian fatality rate to the US is equally as faulty given the many variables. Heck, look at NY city they must be the best drivers in the world because they have so few fatal traffic accidents proportionate to population. Not really, NYC just has lower general speeds and lots of people that don't drive as opposed to states like Wyoming where long distances, high speeds and further distance for medical care means more deaths.

I hope you are getting the point I'm trying to make in terms of how to make a good comparison.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe he is there hunting for squirrels of mass destruction and some Italians got between him and his pray.
LOL!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I drew the reference, back at #28:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Is Dick Cheney vacationing in Italy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies