Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is O'Reilly?
Entertainer 32 76.19%
News Journalist 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,988,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
How about commentator, as most of them are anymore. I find him very entertaining and on the whole, very fair and balanced. Do I always agree with him ? No.

I watch some other commentators on other networks and like a few of them, as well. The problem I have with some of them though, is that they are pretty vicious in their comments.

O'Rielly is pretty calm, never gets all jazzed up and sceechie...like Chris Mathews...LOL

Now, Sean Hannity I get a little tired of.
Commentators are entertainers, they are providing commentary on daily political news in a way to entertain you.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,988,532 times
Hmmm... Considering all the factual errors in "Killing Lincoln", yet acknowledging that it's on the best seller lists, and concluding that people actually buy what he's selling, I'd classify his job description as Con Artist. So none of the above.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

24,453 posts, read 33,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Which is called an entertainer. He is not a journalist.
Wrong. He has a Master's degree in Journalism (from Boston University); he did not get a Master's degree in "entertaining."

Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,988,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wrong. He has a Master's degree in Journalism (from Boston University); he did not get a Master's degree in "entertaining."
What he does on his show is in NO way, shape or form "journalism".

He does have a degree in broadcast journalism. He is not currently a journalist. Sorry. He's also not a reporter.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,293,080 times
Quote:
What is Chris Mathews, Rachel Maddow or whatever her name is ? Same way with Laura Ingraham or Ann Coulter.....all commentators on the news.
Chris Matthews is nuttier than Rocky the Squirrel's stool sample.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What is Chris Mathews, Rachel Maddow or whatever her name is ? Same way with Laura Ingraham or Ann Coulter.....all commentators on the news.
You are correct, her name is Rachel Maddow, and they too are all entertainers that are entertaining you with politics.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM

37,507 posts, read 21,733,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
He is a political entertainer, he is not a Journalist. He gives an opinion and that is not a reporter.
Agreed. He has been becoming more of a joke as the months have gone on. He fancies himself as a journalist, but increasingly surrounds himself with sycophants and yes men. O'Reilly has forgotten that his fame came from the substance of his works, not because of his personality. It's like if Elton John started to think people bought his records because they liked him personally, and not because they liked his music.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have friends who went to college for architecture and are now shoe designers....they did not get a degree in "shoe making" but that is what they are doing.

Getting a degree in something doesn't mean you only do that one thing. Go into your nearest coffee shop and ask the people working there what they have degrees in and I bet you none of them will say "coffee making."

One can get a degree and something and be an entertainer.

Quote:
Jay Leno received his bachelor’s degree from Emerson College where he majored in speech therapy.
Julia Roberts attended Georgia State University where she studied to be a veterinarian.
Brad Pitt studied at the University of Missouri where he majored in journalism and advertising.
Donald Trump attended the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Finance where he majored in Economics.
Tiger Woods went to the prestigious Stanford University where he majored in Economics.
Michael Jordan went to the University of North Carolina where he majored in Geography.
Matt Damon went to Harvard University where he majored in English.
Well last time I checked, Julia Roberts isn't a veterinarian. Brad Pitt isn't a journalist, even though he has a degree in journalism. Micheal Jordan went on to study geography from a bird's eye point of view on his way to the basket. Of course Donald Trump is in business, but he is also known for his entertaining with famous lines like "you're fired."

So obviously someone can go to college and end up doing something different than their degree. O'Reilly makes a lot of money being a political entertainer, entertaining millions of people with his opinions and points of view when it comes to politics.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM

24,453 posts, read 33,122,402 times
Urbanlife, do you even watch O'Reilly's show? (Not counting youtube videos and links from left-wing websites.)

If you think O'Reilly is only an "entertainer," check out his serious and heated debates with people like Barney Frank and Geraldo Rivera.

Regarding the list you posted, what does that have to do with O'Reilly? He has two degrees related to politics and that is his profession today.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,155,108 times
Yellow journalist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.