Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"Since broadening the tax base would produce enough revenue to pay for cutting everyone's tax rates, it is clear that the proposed Romney cuts wouldn't require any middle-class tax increase, nor would they produce a net windfall for high-income taxpayers. The Tax Policy Center and others are wrong to claim otherwise. The Romney plan can reduce the current tax system's distortions, increasing national income in the short run and economic growth in the years ahead. That was the key to the very successful Reagan tax cuts of 1986. It was also the tax-reform strategy embraced by the bipartisan Bowles-Simpson commission in 2010. And it could put the economy back on the right track in 2013."

Martin Feldstein: Romney's Tax Plan Can Raise Revenue - WSJ.com

Mr. Feldstein should learn some history. Lowering rates has never balanced the budget.

Voodoo economics is what thats called, and it didn't work for Reagan, it sure as hell isn't going to work now.

Its why so many of the top CEO's wrote to congress the other day, saying we have to increase tax rates, and we have to cut spending.

If a "businessmans" word means that much to you, perhaps you should listen to 200 CEO's, instead of one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Well cutting spending has to be in the equation too. That much I thought was a given to any who had any common sense.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Well cutting spending has to be in the equation too. That much I thought was a given to any who had any common sense.

What has Romney said he would cut that would make up a significant part of the budget?

Defense? He's expanding.

Social security and medicare? Says he isn't going to touch them.

Obamacare? CBO says that'll decrease the deficit, so thats more spending.

PBS? .01% of the entire budget?

Again, Romney's plan doesn't add up. Its why no one who is serious about the deficit can vote for Romney, or Obama.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
I thought Ryan was going to kick all the old people onto the curb?

"Obamacare? CBO says that'll decrease the deficit, so thats more spending."

I think you meant increase but what the CBO projects is just that. They can't tell you what something is going to cost ten years from now and history proves that.

What they say they will do means nothing right now as has also been proven every presidential election. Anything that is done will have to be done through congress.

Nobody cares about PBS.

Romney eliminated a 1.5 billion dollar deficit in Mass. That is all we have to go on him. Now I'm not all up on Mass politics back then and how it was done but it was done. Of course it was law too. So there is only one way to find out. Obama had four years to try and he doesn't deserve four more.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Romney eliminated a 1.5 billion dollar deficit in Mass. That is all we have to go on him. Now I'm not all up on Mass politics back then and how it was done but it was done. Of course it was law too. So there is only one way to find out. Obama had four years to try and he doesn't deserve four more.

I have a hard time giving Romney more than passing credit for anything he did as governor, with 87% democrat legislature I would think most anything Romney did was sponsored by the democrats

Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I thought Ryan was going to kick all the old people onto the curb?

"Obamacare? CBO says that'll decrease the deficit, so thats more spending."

I think you meant increase but what the CBO projects is just that. They can't tell you what something is going to cost ten years from now and history proves that.

What they say they will do means nothing right now as has also been proven every presidential election. Anything that is done will have to be done through congress.

Nobody cares about PBS.

Ryan would. Romney first said he'd support the Ryan budget, then said he didn't, then picked him as his VP, then said he wouldn't touch either program, then said he'd change them a little, now he's back on the campaign trail giving speeches saying that nothing will change.

Thats part of Romney's problem, he can't make up his mind on what he wants to do.

Again, Massachusetts is not a good example, it was low on the job creation front during an economic boom, and Romney didn't do a great job as governor. There is a reason, he won't win that state this November.

As I said, you can buy the "well I think he'll do a better job" argument all you want. But he is running on a platform of increasing the deficit, and hasn't said how he'll pay for any of the programs hes saying he'll do.

Its why I'm voting for Gary Johnson.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Military spending as % of GDP is 3.6% right now. Basically around 550 billion dollars. That is the base budget. It doesn't include other military spending which when it comes in we are at 5%.

Defense spending isn't free. I don't know how your article comes up with two trillion dollars added to the deficit unless one thinks defense spending has been free prior to Romney. Many think everything is free so I guess that is where that is coming from.

Reality is we need a military whether the left thinks we do or not. Maybe if you want to cut stop printing up money from the fed who hands it to the banks who then buy back treasuries that we pay them interest on. I think the number is up to around 230 billion dollars and rising. That is more than we spend on the Dept of Ag, Veterans Affairs, transportation etc.

Screaming about military spending won't reduce that interest payment. QEIV on the way. Yippee.
Yet Leon Panetta and Robert Gates believe significant military cuts are appropriate.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Military spending as % of GDP is 3.6% right now. Basically around 550 billion dollars. That is the base budget. It doesn't include other military spending which when it comes in we are at 5%.

Defense spending isn't free. I don't know how your article comes up with two trillion dollars added to the deficit unless one thinks defense spending has been free prior to Romney. Many think everything is free so I guess that is where that is coming from.

Reality is we need a military whether the left thinks we do or not. Maybe if you want to cut stop printing up money from the fed who hands it to the banks who then buy back treasuries that we pay them interest on. I think the number is up to around 230 billion dollars and rising. That is more than we spend on the Dept of Ag, Veterans Affairs, transportation etc.

Screaming about military spending won't reduce that interest payment. QEIV on the way. Yippee.
with terrorists on the loose and attacking us, we need a strong military.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yet Leon Panetta and Robert Gates believe significant military cuts are appropriate.
You don't think they are being bullied or swayed? Gates has ZERO backbone!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
with terrorists on the loose and attacking us, we need a strong military.
Got to be the dumbest statement I've heard on this forum in a long time.

Terrorism isn't a military problem, its a law enforcement issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies