Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times

Advertisements

[quote=Casey Ryback;26757330]Funny how many people attacked me using an ad hominem. Annie53 you sound like you have serious anger problems! That comment about you assuming things about my personal life is most unwelcome!

Obviously the issue of abortion is one of the most controversial issues for public policy and it really is drawn by the emotions of all sides.

I guess it is a woman's choice - only she would have the power to abort it, legally or illegally, for whatever reasons - welfare of her health, the baby is going to come out with problems, etc.

Would it be okay for lawmakers to simply ignore the abortion issue? FOr example, it could be legal but it won't be funded by tax payers. Conversely, it won't be deemed illegal because it would be impossible to regulate anyway. Would there be any negative consequences to this? Morality is relevant here because if the government funds abortion of babies that will have some undesirable trait (mental retardation for example), wouldn't that also be encouraging a form of eugenics? I'm just thinking out loud I'm here...I'm sure someone will jump on my case angrily but these are valid concerns I think and I'm just looking to hear more sides of this. If you can't have a mature discussion for this, don't even post[/quote

I agree with you and want to add, if you only allow it to save the mothers life, who decides the risk is too great for the mother? The doctor I guess. What if he thinks the mother would survive and he's wrong? The final choice really should be left up to the woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
There isn't a clear definition of retarded. It means slow, slower, slowed down, so by that definition every child that isn't working right at grade level on all subjects in school, or is more immature or maybe those that just can't run as fast as the others, they fit the description. Who would you kill and who would you let live? All of us fall behind at something.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
This is a pretty dumb question. Once a person is born and is alive and breathing, no matter their defect, they are awarded all the protection of our laws, no matter their disability.

Fetuses are not alive and breathing, they aren't even born human beings. Mentally retarded people are born human beings. Many may not agree with the decision of the parents who had the children, but it was the parent's choice to birth the child and as a prochoice person, I have no right to criticize their choice as they will be the ones ultimately responsible for the day to day care of their child.

I also do not put a dollar value on human life, no matter their disability. I think we are all disabled in someway and I believe we should all financially pay the cost of decent quality of life for those who cannot make their own decisions or don't have the capacity to do so. Hopefully whoever is their legal guardian will make the right decisions in those individual cases in regards to the care of the disabled.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Accepting that abortions are a valid choice for some women does not mean that people want others to have abortions. Wanting women to have the ability to make choices doesn't necessarily advocate for one of those choices.

I would like it if people would respect women enough to recognize that their reasons for choosing an abortion are sound and valid reasons.

The thread is a de facto comparison between fetuses and living PEOPLE. That's not a valid comparison.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Accepting that abortions are a valid choice for some women does not mean that people want others to have abortions.
A serial killer is running lose in the community.

I accept that the serial killers actions are a valid choice for this individual.

It doesn't mean that I want the serial killer to act, though.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wanting women to have the ability to make choices doesn't necessarily advocate for one of those choices.
If allowing the choice to get an abortion is such a good thing - then why wouldn't you advocate for making such a choice?

Could it be that you know that you would be advocating for the destruction of human life -and thus are parsing your moral standards?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I'm not ok with abortion. Personally I could never have one. But I am I'm pro choice meaning I believe people should be able to make their own decisions. I don't get why other people are so interested in what others do with their own lives. Being a parent is HUGE, no one should be forced to be a parent. And carrying the baby and giving it up for adoption is HUGE too. But I wouldn't expect a man to understand that because he would never be faced with carrying around a baby for nine months. No uterus, no opinion is how I see it.

And a bunch of cells are hardly the same thing as a living breathing person already here.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A serial killer is running lose in the community.

I accept that the serial killers actions are a valid choice for this individual.

It doesn't mean that I want the serial killer to act, though.
Thank you.

You made the point so much more eloquently than I. You have no respect for women. Therefore you can easily equate them with serial killers.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If allowing the choice to get an abortion is such a good thing - then why wouldn't you advocate for making such a choice?

Could it be that you know that you would be advocating for the destruction of human life -and thus are parsing your moral standards?
Why wouldn't I advocate for something?

Because it's none of my business. And because I respect other women, and recognize that the reasons for a pregnancy to be unwanted are profound and personal. Because I realize that this is a traumatic event for a woman, and that only she can understand the implications and consequences of her choice, so that it would be inappropriate for me, and inappropriate for you, to advocate one way or the other. Only the woman knows the risks that are involved for her. And I respect that.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM

203 posts, read 278,763 times
I am pro-life but I am pessimistic on ever seeing abortion outlawed. Abortion is too convenient. Even people that say they are pro-life often use abortion when it suits them.

I do want to correct a misconception I see here. A fetus very quickly develops a heart and a brain. Its rare but not unheard of for babies to survive being born at 20 weeks. I think its pretty ignorant to claim like many do on here that babies magically develop a brain, heart and start breathing right at birth. The truth is that many babies do suffer pain during abortion.

America has the most libertarian abortion laws in the world. Most countries put severe restrictions on it the later the pregnancy. In this country, we could barely pass a partial birth abortion ban on a procedure that is nearly universally described as barbaric since it involves the decapitation of near full term baby.

One thing that has always made me curious is how many pro-choice people get upset and angry to see pictures of aborted babies and the descriptions of abortion procedures. There is one procedure where the brain is sucked out by a needle. My point is not to be gruesome but to point out that if you are going to support a procedure than you should at least have no issues with the results of what it is that you support.

I think that we need to curtail the number of social abortions. I dont buy the argument that being a parent isnt for everyone. If you dont think you can be a parent then why are you having unprotected sex? Once you have sex, you are accepting the risk and responsibility of being a parent. No birth control method is 100% and people frequently fail to use it right. The Guttmacher stats show this and also show a sizable percentage that believed they couldnt get pregnant from one night of sex without protection. I think abortion is analagous to concussions in the NFL. With greater helmets and padding, NFL players take more dangerous risks rather than less. Same is true of abortion.

One thing I think the pro-choice movement does that is really not good is to attack any law that in any way limits or discourages abortions. The pro-choice motto has always been safe, legal, and rare. But instead of themselves proposing ways to limit abortions to make them rare, they try to keep it as libertarian as possible. The only thing most pro-choice people say is that we need more education and birth control. After nearly 50 years since the pill and decades more since condoms, I dont think those are real solutions. Statistics from the Guttmacher institute show most that get abortions know about birth control but for one of many reasons decided not to use it.

One scary Guttmacher fact is that nearly one in four pregnancies each year are aborted. Regardless on your position, this is way too high. Abortion has killed more lives than any war or dictator ever has and the numbers grow every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies