Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombola4 View Post
I am simply pointing out the difference between Germany and the US. GErmany is more conservative. They work and save. They spend money on infrastrucutre and in the US we spend the money on welfare. Can you dispute that point?
Germany is more responsible as a nation. That is not what I'm talking about, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Quote:
What cuts has Obama made to defense spending?
Obama is against unwanted increase in Romney's defense budget. Look here-

How Mitt Romney Would Force-Feed the Pentagon - NYTimes.com

Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,119 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference between universal care in Europe and the US. In Europe the people work and contribute. In the US the inner city Dems want it fo free. In Europe it is more like a group insurance plan vs the US where it is welfare.

GERMANS work!!! Inner city Dems look at work as slavery. Notice the difference.

Where do you think most conservatives came from? How about inner city Dems?
So pig ignorant and proud of it?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Do you think republicans will be happy to implement Europe style universal care in the US where people contribute???
Quote:
There is a huge difference between universal care in Europe and the US. In Europe the people work and contribute. In the US the inner city Dems want it fo free. In Europe it is more like a group insurance plan vs the US where it is welfare.

GERMANS work!!! Inner city Dems look at work as slavery. Notice the difference.

Where do you think most conservatives came from? How about inner city Dems?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So pig ignorant and proud of it?
But rural and suburban dems are ok with that poster apparently.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But rural and suburban dems are ok with that poster apparently.
I'm guessing that's because they're "Not from Africa"

Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
amtrack is a waste of money, they lose money on every rider they have. if amtrak were privatized, and actually had to make money to stay in operation, you can bet that the private companies would work to keep ticket prices as low as possible while still turning a profit, and the service would be much better than it is now.

as for the interstate system, that is not a waste of money. remember that much of the products you buy are transported along the interstates, trains dont go every where you know. its cheaper to load up a few 18 wheelers with say milk from your local dairy farm and transport it s 150 or so miles, than it is to load up the trucks, haul it to the train station, transport it to another city 100 miles away, the off load it onto more trucks to haul it to the small towns where the train doesnt run.
Amtrack should not be privatize unless the road system is privatized, and we are really beyond the days to be able to successfully do either. I think you need to check what other countries are doing and have done that use rail a lot and actually have high speed rail.

Btw, I've seen rail roads tracks go a lot more places than interstate highways do. I know of a town with under 1,000 people that's along two rail lines actually, and it's 150 miles from any major city.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,693 times
Smile Yep, it was the GOP's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your bias is showing!

Yep, it was ALL the GOP's fault

It was certainly a GOP led campaign of disinformation meant to manufacture public (and political) support for Bush and Cheney's oil war.

Quote:
Dem's who voted FOR the wars. Note the Senate majority leader CO-SPONSORED the Authorization bill.
How many on the list gave YOU voted for or support?

Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Current VP
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY) Current Sec of state (Labeled Smartest women in the world by many lefties)
Daschle (D-SD) Leader of the Senate at the time and co-sponsored the bill
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC) Ran for VP
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA) Ran for Pres.
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT) Ran for Pres.
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV) Current leader of the Senate
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

Now your bias is showing. Please list all the Republicans who voted for the war.

Then lets compare lists and see which one is MUCH longer.

Deal?

FYI

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Thus, Amtrak runs huge losses, but shutting it down won't save much cash outflow, because it furnishes the right-of-way for several commuter-hauling authorities. It is also subject to considerable political tampering by both parties. The late conservative Democratic Senators Mike Mansfield(MT) and Frank Moss(UT) both used political influence to sustain Amtrak Long Distance in their home states, as did Republican Trent Lott(MS). Amtrak's coach repair facility is in Indianapolis, a city it doesn't serve, save for one late-night run to ferry the "bad-ordered" equipment to and from Chicago. (In case anyone's wondering, BTW, that sagacious decision was made way back in 1970, and passenger-car repair facilities are few in number.)
personally i dont want amtrak shut down. i believe in passenger rail, i just dont want the government running the company.

Quote:
The much-vaunted High Speed Rail System ballyhooed at the Inauguration four years ago is mostly pie-in-the-sky. For several reasons (drawbridges and outdated electrical catenary being the most difficult), major improvement in speeds between New York and Washington is unlikely. The California project will grow -- slowly -- but the biggest bottleneck; the mountain passes north of Los Angeles, is a long way from resolution.

And did anybody really believe that the proposed El-Paso-Albuquerque-Denver-Billings (Good Grief! - Metro population of Billings is less than 110,000!) was anything but a sop to politics.
i agree that high speed rail in this country is a pipe dream. we would have to build separate track for high speed trains, and thus be forced to maintain about double the track miles that we do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Bush ignored the warnings. Then had US forces invade the wrong country for WMD's, none of which were found, and never went after bin laden either.

Thank you DUBYA! You have a loyal following.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bush ignored NO warnings! That is a bald faced lie!

I know what you are referring too, and that PDB memo that was delivered to him at his ranch was old information that had also been given to Bill Clinton. Bush had asked for whatever information we had on al-Qaeda. Condoleezza Rice testified to this at hearings that were held on the 9/11 attacks.

This memo contained no "warning" of an impending attack, as some of you people continue to believe. That is a leftist, Bush haters lie.
well said nononsenseguy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LOL. Like that stopped the Republicans from being obstructionists. Having control of both houses doesn't guarantee you can do what you want....
true, but then if the democrats had stood together at the time, they could have passed anything they wanted and the republicans could have done nothing to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Amtrack should not be privatize unless the road system is privatized, and we are really beyond the days to be able to successfully do either. I think you need to check what other countries are doing and have done that use rail a lot and actually have high speed rail.
yes i know what other countries have done with high speed rail, and it could be helpful in this country, IF we had the money to do it. as for amtrak, that company should be privatized, the rail system on which it runs should not be. the government has no business trying to run a business as they suck at it. remember the mustang ranch? the IRS took it over due to the owners not paying their taxes. now you would think that a business that sells sex and booze should be a money maker, and yet the IRS LOST MONEY running a bordello. if you cant make money selling sex and booze, you are doing something seriously wrong.

Quote:
Btw, I've seen rail roads tracks go a lot more places than interstate highways do. I know of a town with under 1,000 people that's along two rail lines actually, and it's 150 miles from any major city.
ok, does that town have a rail station? rail yards? how many trains stop there on a regular basis?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Check on your state DOT website for a state railroad map, most every state has it online. You might very well discover the US is full of active or semi-active railroad lines. They are just not utilized for passenger rail service, and some would need tons of money poured in them to have any kind of passenger train run on them over 15 mph, if even that. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of small towns in the US that have more than one rail line run through them.

Amtrak mostly uses tracks of private freight rail companies for running their trains, with a few exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies