Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So what does it mean to be "informed"?
Knowing facts. For instance, being able to explain the factions in Syria. Knowing about Assad and the history of the conflict. Knowing in what region Syria is located. Being able to connect it to events in that region over the last year and a half.

On one hand, we have the obvious bias of Fox. But beyond that, we have the dumbing-down of the news. Exploding graphics, car chases, info babes. That might be even more damaging than Fox being a out-and-out shill for the Republican Party. News aimed at the lowest-common denominator of intelligence and attention spans.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Fox News and Delusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I found this piece rather interesting today:

Survey: NPR’s listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed | Poynter.

Apparently Fox News viewers are less informed than folks who watch/listen to no news at all!

I have a hypothesis about this. People who are hardcore partisans are more concerned about maintaining their delusions about the the world than actually learning. I am observing it in this election. The GOP partisans absolutely refuse to believe that Obama is ahead, because of his electoral vote advantage. They keep cherrypicking polls,etc., because they just cannot admit they could lose. No one is saying it is a slam dunk, but it is clear that Obama did the groundwork, and he has an easier path to 270.

Anyhow, I am not saying that Fox News has no information of value, but that it fosters strong partisanship, which leads to delusional thinking and ultimately to being misinformed and dead wrong.
Fox doesn't have viewers, it has followers. They don't watch to be informed, they watch to be affirmed. Fox is to news what Limbaugh is to journalism. Neither is about information. And the followers have no concern over that. They want their fear and anger fed.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
No one should rely on just one news source. I listen to NPR and watch C-Span, PBS, Fox, CNN, and the local news. Sometimes for amusement I watch MSNBC. Occasionally I'll even watch foreign news programs. I also read various sources. Guess what? No one has cornered the market on spinning the news, they all do it to varying degrees. Fox is not as bad as you are making it out to be but I'm sure if you're liberal it isn't reporting things the way you would like them to.

If you really want to see biased watch the news on CBN, it may even top MSNBC.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So you miss the point, entirely.

When is the last time a journalist challenged Obama? Other than the reporter from KUSA, in Colorado.

Oh, that's right. There are none.
You missed the point entirely. You are off topic. This thread is not about the President. It is about Faux news.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
look at where this is coming from? How long did it take you to dig something like this up? It is a bunch of crap by the way....I think hardcroe particans fall on both sides of the aisle..If you don' than you are the one that is uninformed....

Gee, I took a poll the other day and found out 100% of the people were Christians. Of course I took it at church..but it still proves 100% of the people surveyed are Christians...
Nita, this was a random poll taken by phone.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No one should rely on just one news source. I listen to NPR and watch C-Span, PBS, Fox, CNN, and the local news. Sometimes for amusement I watch MSNBC. Occasionally I'll even watch foreign news programs. I also read various sources. Guess what? No one has cornered the market on spinning the news, they all do it to varying degrees. Fox is not as bad as you are making it out to be but I'm sure if you're liberal it isn't reporting things the way you would like them to.

If you really want to see biased watch the news on CBN, it may even top MSNBC.
They are not all biased. All Things Considered is perhaps the best source of news domestically. It has no bias. The BBC has no bias. The Jim Lehrer News Hour has no bias.

The most ridiculous argument advanced is that, well, if we watch both Fox and MSNBC and read right-wing and left-wing websites, the slanted propaganda somehow balances our information out and we arrive at the facts. Nonsense. Biased pap is just that. I have no problem with tuning into Fox or MSNBC to get opinions. Unfortunately, many of you, particularly you Fox News devotees, get your "facts" from Fox and talk radio. Watching MSNBC isn't going to get you any closer to the truth.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Nita, this was a random poll taken by phone.
We all know any survey, study, poll, whatever can be slanted, based on what the group doing the calling wants to accomplish. To even suggest people who watch FOX are more delusionary than others is just plain stupid...And anyone who believes this isn't using thier head.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
They are not all biased. All Things Considered is perhaps the best source of news domestically. It has no bias. The BBC has no bias. The Jim Lehrer News Hour has no bias.

The most ridiculous argument advanced is that, well, if we watch both Fox and MSNBC and read right-wing and left-wing websites, the slanted propaganda somehow balances our information out and we arrive at the facts. Nonsense. Biased pap is just that. I have no problem with tuning into Fox or MSNBC to get opinions. Unfortunately, many of you, particularly you Fox News devotees, get your "facts" from Fox and talk radio. Watching MSNBC isn't going to get you any closer to the truth.
Believe it or not, most people do not depend on one sourse for their information. And your saying Jim Lehrer has no bias or BBC has none shows where you are coming from. What about Chris Wallace, do you think he is biased?

Nita

Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Believe it or not, most people do not depend on one sourse for their information. And your saying Jim Lehrer has no bias or BBC has none shows where you are coming from. What about Chris Wallace, do you think he is biased?

Nita
Please provide some examples of bias from the Jim Lehrer News Hour, All Things Considered and the BBC.

Note: This is the part where right-wingers always fall apart and begin whining, when they are asked to provide specific evidence. You have an opportunity to break the mold. Let's see if you can do it.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
We all know any survey, study, poll, whatever can be slanted, based on what the group doing the calling wants to accomplish. To even suggest people who watch FOX are more delusionary than others is just plain stupid...And anyone who believes this isn't using thier head.
"Me don't like conclusions of dis here study, derefore me going to say all studies biased! No can trust no studies! Cept those studies dat say what me like! Them studies okay."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies