Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Another young black male victim of an armed idiot.

17-Year-Old Black Boy Killed For Playing Music Too Loud

I think the issue of Zimmerman's guilt or innocence really should be secondary to the question of how do we prevent future confrontations instigated by armed idiots? From the evidence I have seen I think Zimmerman will walk as there are not apparently any laws prohibiting armed idiots from instigating a confrontation and then shooting their "attacker".

In some ways I think it might be better if Zimmerman is acquitted, it might produce enough outrage to force the reevaluation of current laws.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Another young black male victim of an armed idiot.

17-Year-Old Black Boy Killed For Playing Music Too Loud

I think the issue of Zimmerman's guilt or innocence really should be secondary to the question of how do we prevent future confrontations instigated by armed idiots? From the evidence I have seen I think Zimmerman will walk as there are not apparently any laws prohibiting armed idiots from instigating a confrontation and then shooting their "attacker".

In some ways I think it might be better if Zimmerman is acquitted, it might produce enough outrage to force the reevaluation of current laws.
How about looking at keeping hoodlums at home...

How about keeping young black males out of trouble so they don't have to stay with their fathers?

How about dealing with the fact that most black male victims that are shot are shot by other black males.

What exactly does any of that have to do with changing laws? Nothing...

Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post

How about keeping young black males out of trouble so they don't have to stay with their fathers?

How about dealing with the fact that most black male victims that are shot are shot by other black males.

How does acting on one issue, the issue of idiots with guns engaging in irrational confrontations, preclude acting on the issues you have brought forth?

Nothing....

Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:

Why are you calling Trayvon a hoodlum?

And where do you draw the line when it comes to being able to do something as innocent as walking to a convenience store (and back) without fear of some armed nut accosting you? Should everyone you consider a "hoodlum" be restricted from walking a few blocks to a store to buy candy and a drink?

Lots of teenagers (black, white, male, female, and all the other variations) have issues that require some action being taken - such as having to stay with a non-custodial parent or guardian for a while. And since when is staying with one's father some sort of "sentence?" Like the fact that he was staying with his father some sort of ultimate.....I don't even know what to call it. His father should have been part of the child rearing process - and it sounds like he was and that Trayvon staying with him for awhile was meant to be something positive.

Believe me, as a single mother of five sons, there were plenty of times over the years when I considered that very option - out of sheer frustration. Luckily, it never got to that point where I felt it was necessary.

And.....so WHAT? Does the fact that Trayvon may have been struggling with some boundary and disciplinary issues make it ok for him, a young black male wearing a hoody, with nothing on him except a drink, a bag of candy, and a cell phone, to be accosted by some idiot with a gun and a cop complex?

Did he deserve to DIE?

As for your question about black on black killings, that has nothing to do with this case and is completely off topic. If you want to discuss that, start a thread about it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
From the evidence I have seen I think Zimmerman will walk as there are not apparently any laws prohibiting armed idiots from instigating a confrontation and then shooting their "attacker".
I'm afraid you may be right.

I think most of us agree that Zimmerman wasn't out to kill anyone that night.

Play cop, yes. Play tough guy with a gun, yes.

But to kill somebody........not likely.

But, for me, it WAS his actions that resulted in a death - in much the same way that if I get in my car, drive out my driveway, and then run a stop sign or red light, killing someone is.

Did I set out to kill someone? No.

Did my actions - my carelessness, my recklessness, maybe caused by my talking on my cell phone (or, gasp! texting!) - cause someone to lose their life? Yes.

And there will be consequences. It doesn't matter that there was no intent there - my stupidity caused the death, and while there are no laws against stupidity, if your stupidity causes a death, you're going to be held accountable in some way (probably depending on your state).

Zimmerman needs to be held accountable.

Quote:
If ONE good thing comes out of this, I hope that's it - at least as far as these stupid SYG laws go; there is just too much ambiguity in most of them.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
AGAIN, do you know what it means to file an affirmative defense of self-defense? How about explaining that if you know. I think you don't know. Your article was dated Oct. 26, 2012. A LOT has happened since that time. EXACTLY what is the trial tactic of filing an affirmative defense??? I mean since a defendant is required to put on evidence if they file an affirmative defense, and they are not required to put on evidence if they don't, how does filing an affirmative defense SCARE the Prosecutor? What does that "trial tactic" accomplish.

At an immunity hearing George Zimmerman's CREDIBILITY IS CRUCIAL. Please let us know how you think he's going to convince a Judge that he was in fear for his life when he already as a record of remaining silent when his WIFE LIED TO THE JUDGE ABOUT THE MONEY THEY HAD IN THEIR BANK ACCOUNT? Obviously you've not watched any of the video taped re-enactment Zimmerman gave to the detective. Nor does it appear that you have read any of his contradictory statements, nor have you listened to the TV interviews he gave. Do you think those things cannot be used to impeach this man? Even though the immunity hearing puts the burden of proof on Zimmerman, that's not such a good thing for him. Last I read, O'Mara said he was not going to an immunity hearing and would be using self-defense in the trial.

I'm busy right now, but I will take the time later and go through the court file which is available online and look for any filing asking for an immunity hearing. They undoubtedly have time lines for these types of things, but no defendant is REQUIRED to go to an immunity hearing. The defendant has to request one.
Darn you are stubborn.

I just gave you a cite to the existence of the hearing. Current reporting continues to refer to it. I don't see any clear answer as to whether it slips with the main trial as proposed by the defense but I see absolutely nothing indicating it has been cancelled.

So yes there is an immunity hearing and it will play before the actual trial.

That Zimmerman may be impeached on any number of grounds is certainly true. But the vast body of evidence is that the kid was on top beating Zimmerman's head against the ground. That is more than sufficient for a reasonable man to believe he was in danger of great bodily harm...like getting his brains beat out.

The photos support that view. And no they don't have to be sutured. Broken nose, blacked eyes and lacerations on the back of the head are more than sufficient.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm afraid you may be right.

I think most of us agree that Zimmerman wasn't out to kill anyone that night.

Play cop, yes. Play tough guy with a gun, yes.

But to kill somebody........not likely.

But, for me, it WAS his actions that resulted in a death - in much the same way that if I get in my car, drive out my driveway, and then run a stop sign or red light, killing someone is.

Did I set out to kill someone? No.

Did my actions - my carelessness, my recklessness, maybe caused by my talking on my cell phone (or, gasp! texting!) - cause someone to lose their life? Yes.

And there will be consequences. It doesn't matter that there was no intent there - my stupidity caused the death, and while there are no laws against stupidity, if your stupidity causes a death, you're going to be held accountable in some way (probably depending on your state).

Zimmerman needs to be held accountable.

If ONE good thing comes out of this, I hope that's it - at least as far as these stupid SYG laws go; there is just too much ambiguity in most of them.
That's why we have different levels of homicide and murder.

1st degree murder requires premeditation

2nd degree requires:
  1. The victim is dead;
  2. The death was caused by the criminal act of the defendant;
  3. There was an unlawful killing of the victim by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life.
It is going to be difficult, though not impossible, to show that GZ is guilty under 2nd degree. There is a greater chance to show that GZ is guilty of one of the levels of manslaughter, but that would require the opinion of an experienced FL attorney to determine.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

2nd degree requires:
  1. The victim is dead;
  3. There was an unlawful killing of the victim by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life.
It is going to be difficult, though not impossible, to show that GZ is guilty under 2nd degree. There is a greater chance to show that GZ is guilty of one of the levels of manslaughter, but that would require the opinion of an experienced FL attorney to determine.
Or it was self defense and is determined to be excusable or justifiable suicide...

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:

So hoodlums come in one skin color? Would that be black??

How do you know that TM was "in trouble"? His parents were divorced. Have you heard of "shared custody"? That would mean each parent was involved in their child(ren)s lives in spite of their divorce. And it appears that TM's father continued to be in TM's life. There are different arrangements under such custody and the child basically has two homes and the child(ren)s time is divided between the two homes.

I'm sure that if his father wasn't in the picture you would have quite a mouthful to say about that.

Most white males victims that are shot are shot by other white males. What's your point??

Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

2nd degree requires:
  1. The victim is dead;
I'm sure that opinion will be forthcoming when the C-D resident lawyer logs in and she sees your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies