Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This entire thread is retarded, imbecilic, moronic, *****rdly(because it promotes less choice in the use of language - it can be considered to be stingy - *****rdly - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary), and gay.

Hopefully, I just set some type of record for using the most politically incorrect words in on one sentence. Probally not - but I welcome anybody to try and go at least one futher!

LOL @ the CD censor blocking out "*****rdly"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controv...22*****rdly%22
That is pretty ridiculous. It isn't even spelled the same as the racial "n" word! Also, try using the term for "with highest honors," Magna *** Laude when describing someones educational achievements!

See what I mean? So, so SILLY! When we censor common words that have legitimate meaning, we are really in trouble in this country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
You, sir - have a very good talent of describing things in "everyday terms" - and you are 100% correct.

That said - I can see the possible problem with "retard" - but not with "retarded" - and even if "retard" is used - people generally know what it means - just as you said - it is defined as something that is not fully developed.

Why do some people have a problem with the use of truthful terminology?
It's bad when words get destroyed and lost. Retard or retarded was one of the first victims of political correctness. Nice terms like "special" when describing a child suffering mental retardation are backward in their meaning...The child is not special. The child is only special when exception is made- that exception is to love the child - It is wonderful when I see an aging young woman being treated well by professional care givers.

We must protect the weak. As we age we all go through reverse development. In effect our growth as a living thing goes into a state of retardation- we whither- as I mentioned like a plant- we are temporal creatures. Those who are strong young and healthy should understand when they use the word retard in reference to a child or vulnerable adult- that it will also come to us in time.

Surely Ann Coulter is bright enough to know if she is lucky she will age and sit in diapers and be a retard also..to have to grovel or apologize over a word is not necessary. You would think her critics would have bigger fish to fry- Coulter is a sensationalist who likes to use the ultimate truth to irritate people- she makes a living out of it..I have nothing against Ms Coulter...most of the time she hits the mark- but being human she also misses the mark...at least she tries.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Is this any surprise?

Ann Coulter to Piers Morgan: You

Instead of apologizing for using the words that hurts others, she tries to makes others look bad. Is she insane?

She just goes around throwing profanities and whatnots around and expecting people to just take it like it is? I support her freedom of speech but come on. I thought Sarah Palin would at least call Coulter out!

Also on the side note, here is a group being put together to ask Ann Coulter to apologize. Please "like" it if you can. I know I did!

http://www.facebook.com/WeDemandAnnC...gTheWordRetard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I know. I completely agree. This is why I said I support her freedom of speech but lately, it just seems to be getting out of hand especially from the right side of the political spectrum.

...may break my bones...but word will never...

Has "Adams Apple Ann", ever been politically correct?
The USA has become pussified! Too many sensitive people, taking freedom away one word at a time.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No he compared his golf game to the special olympics.
It was his bowling game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Which she has been. Many many times.
Yes, Coulter has been called out for this, but she has been defended, by you and others, and she has never apologized.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
You still have not explained how.
Regarding how names are hurtful, I'll give you an example from long ago, the early 60s. I was in jr. high (ugh!). Some guys on our bus were giving the driver a hard time, probably b/c she was trying to make them behave. Such is the nature of jr. high boys. (My brother was in this group.) One of the boys called the driver a "communist". She pulled the bus over to the side of the road, stopped it, stood up and faced us and said "I am NOT a communist! Get that straight!" Now at the time we kids thougt that was hilarious, but knowing now what the Cold War was like from an adult perspective, I now know she could have lost her job even for being a suspected communist. It happened.

So your old "sticks and stones" jingle is not quite correct. Names can hurt.

Quote:
Why isn't calling someone as having "special needs" equally as mocking?

Aren't both term identifying someone as being different than others?

For your information - I don't use either term - but I want to know why some people think that those who use one are wrong to do so.

It was once a standard part of medical terminology, after all - or at least "retarded(which is the term which Coulter used) was.
Well, the health care community has struggled with terms that are neutral to describe these conditions. One thing one learns on about Day 2 of any health care curriculum from CNA certifcate school through med school is that the patient is not their diagnosis. You don't call someone a "gall bladder" or a "heart attack" or a "retard". It's the patient with the gall bladder, etc. Plus, as I said earlier, the health care community has to change its terminology for people of low mental capacity every decade or so as these words get co-opted by the general public, to be used pejoratively. Imbecile, moron, idiot, and more were all used to describe people with lower than average IQs. "Retarded" is just another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
That is pretty ridiculous. It isn't even spelled the same as the racial "n" word! Also, try using the term for "with highest honors," Magna *** Laude when describing someones educational achievements!

See what I mean? So, so SILLY! When we censor common words that have legitimate meaning, we are really in trouble in this country!
It's City-Data's filter that censors the word c*u*m. I agree it's nutty, but hardly a sign that our country is in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's bad when words get destroyed and lost. Retard or retarded was one of the first victims of political correctness. Nice terms like "special" when describing a child suffering mental retardation are backward in their meaning...The child is not special. The child is only special when exception is made- that exception is to love the child - It is wonderful when I see an aging young woman being treated well by professional care givers.

We must protect the weak. As we age we all go through reverse development. In effect our growth as a living thing goes into a state of retardation- we whither- as I mentioned like a plant- we are temporal creatures. Those who are strong young and healthy should understand when they use the word retard in reference to a child or vulnerable adult- that it will also come to us in time.

Surely Ann Coulter is bright enough to know if she is lucky she will age and sit in diapers and be a retard also..to have to grovel or apologize over a word is not necessary. You would think her critics would have bigger fish to fry- Coulter is a sensationalist who likes to use the ultimate truth to irritate people- she makes a living out of it..I have nothing against Ms Coulter...most of the time she hits the mark- but being human she also misses the mark...at least she tries.
Re:the bold- Untrue. See my response to Harrier.

If you think it's an exception to love a special needs child (which takes in a multitude of issues, BTW), you know nothing about parental love.

I doubt that AC has much experience with truly retarded individuals (NOT 'retards'). Coulter likes to use hate speech. She's a major biatch.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-28-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Ann Coulter is an attention w-h-o-r-e.

Nothing she says is of any value, and nothing she says surprises me.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
The only thing retarded around here is the radical right.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
I have been called retarded more times than I can count.Never fazed me.Never to the best of my remembrance gotten an apology.You know what they say about sticks and stones.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
.at least she tries.
Tries what?

What does she contribute to the world? Please tell us. All I see is a woman who needs an inordinate amount of attention. And she gets it by saying rude, mean things about people so she can be on TV and sell books. All I see is her drawing attention to herself. I certainly don't see her trying to make our country a better place. Unless she does that by calling people the R word. Is that how she tries? Hmmm. I'm not liking that much. So I'm happy knowing there is an "off" button on my TV and I can continue flipping her books face-side down at the bookstore. Civil disobedience on a small, intimate scale. She's not nice? I'm not nice right back at her.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-28-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Why isn't calling someone as having "special needs" equally as mocking?

Aren't both term identifying someone as being different than others?

For your information - I don't use either term - but I want to know why some people think that those who use one are wrong to do so.

It was once a standard part of medical terminology, after all - or at least "retarded(which is the term which Coulter used) was.
One word for you: context. Context is the defining factor. I suspect you knew this already somewhere deep down.

A doctor in a hospital breaking the news to a distraught parent that their child has clinical signs of mental retardation is not the same thing as a child on the playground (or Ann Counter on twitter) pointing at someone while saying, "Haha, you're a retard."

The former is an earnest factual use of the word; the latter is insensitive and demeaning trash talk that should have no place in public political discourse, whether by a liberal or a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies