Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
In other words - that poster thinks(and you apparently agree) that only aid that comes from the government using confiscated taxpayer money is worthy.

That "reasoning" entirely dismisses the many private charities(including Catholic charities) whom help the hungry every day - without government assistance.

Why do you seem to opposed to private charity efforts - and if you and the poster who I responded to aren't - could you please do a better job of making that clear?

Opposing tax-funded food aid does not = being opposed to helping hungry people.

Sheesh.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In other words - that poster thinks(and you apparently agree) that only aid that comes from the government using confiscated taxpayer money is worthy.

That "reasoning" entirely dismisses the many private charities(including Catholic charities) whom help the hungry every day - without government assistance.

Why do you seem to opposed to private charity efforts - and if you and the poster who I responded to aren't - could you please do a better job of making that clear?

Sheesh.
Charity alone doesn`t come close to meeting the needs of the disadvantaged and I`m certainly NOT opposed to private charity efforts. One more thing.Taxing is not "confiscating" no matter how many times you hear that on talk radio.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:

Sheesh.
Actually, to some degree it does for this reason below

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Charity alone doesn`t come close to meeting the needs of the disadvantaged and I`m certainly NOT opposed to private charity efforts. One more thing.Taxing is not "confiscating" no matter how many times you hear that on talk radio.
It is absolutely hypocritical to demand that the government protect one form of life (the unborn) and not another (the poor, sick, vulnerable, etc). It's easy to be "pro-life" when all you have to do is scrawl a message on a sign and stand outside a clinic, or vote for a supposedly pro-life candidate. No cost there, no sacrifice.

In fact, if for whatever reason reducing/outlawing abortion ever required tax money, you can bet most "pro-life" Christian Republicans would become pro-choice very, very quick.

Hypocrites

Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
OP, it looks like your parish is subjecting you to the same kind of spiritual abuse that politically minded evangelical churches subject their flocks to every four years, except it's done in more gentle, more manipulative terms like "Remember, you will answer to God for every person you vote for".--generally used as a spiritual club by self righteous people who want you to vote a certain way. THese people also think that by voting a certain way, then Jesus likes them better. It's really quite disgusting, to tell the truth.

I didn't go to church for two years because of the hypocrisy and self righteousness I found in my little "religious right" church that I was going to. I just got sick of it after the '08 election when the same people who voted for warmongering, torture, and denying help to the poor (and tried to justify all three from the Bible) had the nerve to tell me that I was a bad Christian because I was considering NOT voting Republican. (Let alone Democrat) I said, "Forget this" and left a few months after in disgust.

Eventually I started going to church again, but to one that emphasized the gospel and God's grace instead of a party platform--you know, the things that Jesus actually cared about. Imagine that.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Yeah, we got a letter like that from our Bishop. I told him directly to his face that as soon as the Catholic church follows and lives it's missives then I will consider their "advice" when considering political choices. And until then he and the Church can keep their political opinions to themselves and shove it up their a**.

Is it uncomfortable when we meet at other functions? Nope.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
I don't think the church should tell people how to vote. Say that as a protestant(mainline)and a conservative Republican. That also goes for when churches,whether it be my Methodist church or the Catholics push "social justice"and wealth redistribution.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Yeah, we got a letter like that from our Bishop. I told him directly to his face that as soon as the Catholic church follows and lives it's missives then I will consider their "advice" when considering political choices. And until then he and the Church can keep their political opinions to themselves and shove it up their a**.

Is it uncomfortable when we meet at other functions? Nope.
You got more guts than me for sure. Wow!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Just in case you get angry over the letter, just remember that it's prohibited to beat the bishop as well.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Perhaps you could go into more detail about the particular issue that you addressing - and I might be able to answer your question.

Don't try to tell me that you weren't asking me - this is a public forum - and anyone can respond to a post - as long as the mods permit such dialogue.

So - what are you trying to say with the food aid issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Don't know what you are talking about here. ?????
Paul Ryan's budget which Romney endorsed cuts WIC by hundreds of millions.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

Malnutrition is a problem in the US and we need all the help we can get. When it was all done by private charities up through the 1930s lots of people staved.

Basically Republican politics are all targeted at screwing the poor. It has been that way since Reagan. That is why an absurdly high number of children in the US are malnourshed and that number will necessarily skyrocket under Romney/Ryan policies.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hunger_at_h...0#.UI2XkMWx-N0

As to the Catholic Church I believe there are a number of bishops, clergy and nuns who have called Paul Ryan's budget explicitly immoral.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-28-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Paul Ryan's budget which Romney endorsed cuts WIC by $650 million.

WIC

Malnutrition is a problem in the US and we need all the help we can get. When it was all done by private charities up through the 1930s lots of people staved.

Basically Republican politics are all targeted at screwing the poor. It has been that way since Reagan. That is why an absurdly high number of children in the US are malnourshed and that number will necessarily skyrocket under Romney/Ryan policies.

HUNGER HURTS: Millions of American Kids Go Hungry - ABC News
Why do you think that taxpayer funded programs are the only legitimate method to help the needy?

Have you not heard of private charities that serve those who require a helping hand?

Where in the Constitution does it say that it is the job of Congress to use confiscated money from the citizens of the republic to feed hungry children?

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents".

- John Adams -

http://foundersquotes.com/quotes/i-c...which-granted/

How can the hunger problem be solved simply by throwing taxpayer money at it?

Democrats measure success by how many people are dependent on the government - Republicans(who generally do more actual work, privately then Democrats to help the needy - see statistics for volunteerism and donations - measure success by how many no longer need such assistance.

Feed a man a fish - and you have fed him for a day, teach a man how to fish - and you have fed him for a lifetime.

Last edited by Harrier; 10-28-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies