Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
I am pro-life, and pro-choice, and, have held these beliefs long before I even had the opportunity to register to vote.

Abortion and women's rights have never been threatened in this extreme way, since the first time I was eligible to vote for a president over a decade ago. Cue, my interest in this discussion. Further, when deciding my vote, I take a look at which candidate's overall views align most with what I believe and agree with; I don't focus on one specific topic, such as abortion, to dictate all. For others in this forum, not sure I can say the same.

In terms of the article; not sure what's not to care about it. He's calling out a hypocrisy, which, very few have decided to thoroughly touch upon in this thread. Instead, just endless posts about conception and viability, almost ironically supporting what the author was originally calling out as a major contradiction in terms of the sanctity of life--regardless of where one 'believes' it all begins, for sure, it doesn't end at birth.
That author thinks pro-life means supporting a ban on sugary drinks, supporting the EPA, banning smoking in public parks, and agreeing with him on a host of other policy issues.

A narcissistic, egotistical article.

Nobody should call themself pro-choice unless they advocate choice until birth. And choice to use heroin, and own assault weapons, and use seat belts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Most conservatives are not prolife, as they lack concern for what happens AFTER birth... or at least if they are concerned, they think, "hey, not MY problem!"
That is because they've been brainwashed for a voting bloc.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Wow.

I didn't know the gestation period was that long.

A fetus can feel pain as soon as 18 to 20 months of a woman's pregnancy? How many years does it take the woman to actually carry the pregnancy to full term and give birth?
Probably a decade or two ....what say you ?

Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
Yes, many of the threads on this forum begin with incorrect assumptions. To say that only liberals fall for BS premises is ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 48,293 times
Whose to say that just because someone is Pro-life they also oppose stricter gun control and are for the death penalty?? The irony in Pro-choice crying hypocrisy, is that people will NEVER have a choice in every matter...otherwise what would we need laws for? Drugs are illegal...do people still do them--YES. People die everyday from drugs, does that mean we should just legalize them? We have laws to create order and to protect people. People can make choices, but if their choices affect the welfare of another person then it's an issue.

Thus is the issue with abortion, a lot of people have different opinions on when a fetus should be considered a "person". This is why I am personally pro-life because it is my belief that even though as a woman I am the host, the fetus is it's own person. It has nothing to do with trying to "control peoples sex lives" or "punish" people for having sex like some other pro-choice posts claim. BUT that is my personal belief and I am not ignorant enough to believe that everyone shares in MY BELIEF...which is why I can understand abortion being legal for people that believe differently.

Someone on another thread stated that, "Abortion is not killing a baby because it is a glob of cells similar to that of which you wash away when you wash your hands." I can respect other peoples beliefs, but this is not a belief; it is someone trying to state a fact that medically and scientifically is 100% wrong unless maybe you are talking about taking the morning after pill or the very very early stages of pregnancy which is not when ALL abortions occur. Some women have abortions up to 21 weeks...I urge someone who might think that a fetus is just a blob of cells to actually research the development of a fetus week by week and make an educated decision as to when they believe it is a human.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post
Whose to say that just because someone is Pro-life they also oppose stricter gun control and are for the death penalty?? The irony in Pro-choice crying hypocrisy, is that people will NEVER have a choice in every matter...otherwise what would we need laws for? Drugs are illegal...do people still do them--YES. People die everyday from drugs, does that mean we should just legalize them? We have laws to create order and to protect people. People can make choices, but if their choices affect the welfare of another person then it's an issue.

Thus is the issue with abortion, a lot of people have different opinions on when a fetus should be considered a "person". This is why I am personally pro-life because it is my belief that even though as a woman I am the host, the fetus is it's own person. It has nothing to do with trying to "control peoples sex lives" or "punish" people for having sex like some other pro-choice posts claim. BUT that is my personal belief and I am not ignorant enough to believe that everyone shares in MY BELIEF...which is why I can understand abortion being legal for people that believe differently.

Someone on another thread stated that, "Abortion is not killing a baby because it is a glob of cells similar to that of which you wash away when you wash your hands." I can respect other peoples beliefs, but this is not a belief; it is someone trying to state a fact that medically and scientifically is 100% wrong unless maybe you are talking about taking the morning after pill or the very very early stages of pregnancy which is not when ALL abortions occur. Some women have abortions up to 21 weeks...I urge someone who might think that a fetus is just a blob of cells to actually research the development of a fetus week by week and make an educated decision as to when they believe it is a human.
So because we don't have choices in all things, we should have choices in nothing? Do you really want to go down that road? Or does it make more sense to take each issue by itself and examine it?

I know what a fetus is and I am quite educated on the development of a human from zygote to baby. I am still pro-choice.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post

Without a full rehash of this thread, the author was pointing out a often observed contradiction with the pro-life crowd. A myopic, extreme focus on abortion and the sanctity of life, yet, a disregard or reversal on other matters post-birth (i.e., warfare, death penalty, gun control) that go against the pro-life foundation and framework. Further, using this site as an example, there are just as many abortion "pro-life" threads within this forum as there are threads about the dependent, lazy, entitled underclass--the irony is that they are often posted by the same bunch.

Of course, not everyone falls within this category, like yourself. But, the author does bring up quite a good point about the label and true meaning of being 'pro-life'.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Ehh, no such thing as a person who is pro-life or pro-choice. It always depends. That being said, those in favor of laws that would prohibit abortion cannot claim to be pro-life even when it comes to the human fetus. They are actually, in effect, pushing for something the evidence suggests might even drive abortion rates up.

Abortion Rates Are Higher In Countries Where Procedure Is Illegal, Study Finds
The Global Sociology Blog - Illegal Abortion Leads to More Abortions
Abortion more common where it's illegal: Where are rates highest? - HealthPop - CBS News

Now, there are certain "barriers to abortion" I believe in. All that comes to mind at the moment is mandatory ultrasounds (Yep!), and I'll save you all the trouble and freely admit that it's all about trying to sway the woman on a decision she's already made. But why not? If she's truly sure about her decision, she should already know what the fetus is/isn't (what it does/doesn't look and sound like) and the ultrasound won't make a difference. It would only make a difference to those who aren't sure about what they're doing (i.e., those who shouldn't be having an abortion just yet), and don't bother telling me these women don't exist. However, no law or required procedure should postpone the abortion for more than a day. "Sleep on it", you know? If she still wants the abortion, give her an express lane with no further questions or obstacles. After all, the more waiting she does, the more the embryo/fetus develops. So again, "pro-lifers" going too far to be "pro-life" are really not pro-life at all, IMO.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ehh, no such thing as a person who is pro-life or pro-choice. It always depends. That being said, those in favor of laws that would prohibit abortion cannot claim to be pro-life even when it comes to the human fetus. They are actually, in effect, pushing for something the evidence suggests might even drive abortion rates up.

Abortion Rates Are Higher In Countries Where Procedure Is Illegal, Study Finds
The Global Sociology Blog - Illegal Abortion Leads to More Abortions
Abortion more common where it's illegal: Where are rates highest? - HealthPop - CBS News

Now, there are certain "barriers to abortion" I believe in. All that comes to mind at the moment is mandatory ultrasounds (Yep!), and I'll save you all the trouble and freely admit that it's all about trying to sway the woman on a decision she's already made. But why not? If she's truly sure about her decision, she should already know what the fetus is/isn't (what it does/doesn't look and sound like) and the ultrasound won't make a difference. It would only make a difference to those who aren't sure about what they're doing (i.e., those who shouldn't be having an abortion just yet), and don't bother telling me these women don't exist. However, no law or required procedure should postpone the abortion for more than a day. "Sleep on it", you know? If she still wants the abortion, give her an express lane with no further questions or obstacles. After all, the more waiting she does, the more the embryo/fetus develops. So again, "pro-lifers" going too far to be "pro-life" are really not pro-life at all, IMO.
Who should pay for the ultrasound?

If the ultrasound is only being done as a means of coercion and not medical necessity....shouldn't pro-lifers and their organizations pay for them?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Every abortion is a tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies