Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

Every person is prochoice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Who should pay for the ultrasound?

If the ultrasound is only being done as a means of coercion and not medical necessity....shouldn't pro-lifers and their organizations pay for them?
We all have to pay for things we don't believe in, whether they're necessary or not. Should a conservative extremist who doesn't believe in Welfare have to contribute? Of course. And this is not exactly the first thing I'd want off the list of things my taxes pay for... I'd agree to help pay for this just as I'd agree to help pay for free birth control.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Making women get ultrasounds before the abortion is ONLY an attempt to change their mind, be cruel and shame her. It's bull**** and it's wrong.

@Harrier, you know what's a tragedy? Continuing to treat women as if they are second class citizens, as if their bodies belong to the government and ignoring the very real fact that men get off nearly scotfree in this whole game. Taking away the ability to control our bodies SEVERELY shifts the balance of power in our society. I, for one, won't allow my rights to be taken away easily.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think there will always be abortions taking place.

If abortions are made illegal, they will still happen in every city and every state in the US. However, we will see the rise of back-alley abortions, the procedure done by non-medical people, coat hangers, etc.

Prohibiting abortions would be a new "Prohibition" era in the US, and we see how "Prohibition" worked regardless of how well intentioned the advocates were for that measure.
Exactly.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
We all have to pay for things we don't believe in, whether they're necessary or not. Should a conservative extremist who doesn't believe in Welfare have to contribute? Of course. And this is not exactly the first thing I'd want off the list of things my taxes pay for... I'd agree to help pay for this just as I'd agree to help pay for free birth control.
Then why shouldn't taxpayers be forced to pay for abortions, whether they believe in them or not?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Then why shouldn't taxpayers be forced to pay for abortions, whether they believe in them or not?
Forced? Not exactly.

FactCheck.org : Taxpayer-funded Abortions in High Risk Pools

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think maybe 3 people actually read the article.

The article explains how you don't get to call yourself "prolife" simply because you oppose abortion.

Most conservatives are not prolife, as they lack concern for what happens AFTER birth... or at least if they are concerned, they think, "hey, not MY problem!"

So no, you are not prochoice, Mr. Conservative warrior. You are anti-abortion. There is a huge difference.
Late to the dance here but I did read the article. The OP did his thread a huge injustice by not at least paraphrasing the article if not outright quoting it. Now the thread has spun off into the usual partisan stances. It could have become much, much more. I avoided it until now because I wasn't interested in futile exercises in point/counterpoint. The article is more than that.

I don't doubt that 1/2 of American death row inmates are pro-life. They used easily available hand-guns and murdered adults in cold blood yet get irrational over the issue of some woman they don't even know undergoing an abortion procedure. Catholic Priests and clergy from other faiths all have Chaplaincy departments and many are actively deployed blessing soldiers before combat operations. Some even consecrate ordnance. But all of them will tell you without hesitation that abortion is a grave sin. Really?

Well... you know what? So be it. Abortion is a sin. I don't know a single woman who set out to get pregnant just so she could have the experience of an abortion! Neither do any ant-abortion crusaders. That's why their jobs are so easy. There is already the presumption of guilt in the mind of the woman considering one. She is easy pickings for the fervent pleas of the pro-life zealots. Once she has been dissuaded from an abortion procedure she is left to figure out how to raise an (obviously) unwanted child on her own. "Mother stabs newborn repeatedly", "Mother puts newborn in microwave", "Mother drowns toddlers"... ... horrifying and gag inducing... and oh so preventable... she could have simply been allowed to have the abortion she wanted... ...

The death penalty does NOTHING to influence crime rates in the U.S. Illegal abortion would do NOTHING to curb the rate of unplanned pregnancy in the U.S. Countries with low abortion rates, and low homicide rates too, are places where individual access to opportunity is unfettered. You can criminalize sagging pants in urban youth in Baltimore but you will not remove the desire in the young men to sag their pants. The desire and the practice of acting out thug behavior comes out of despair. The only cure for despair is repair of the broken system of wealth distribution.

My wife is very European and middle class. Her American women friends are the kind you see in six figure jobs and occupy a comfortable and respectable place in the American landscape. All have had at least one abortion and a couple have had multiple abortions. White, educated, middle/upper middle class American women that would never, ever, ever be suspected of having done something so associated with poor, ethnic women with no morals and no respect for life.

Romney is dreaming if he thinks him and Ryan could deprive so powerful and important a sector of America access to something as essential as Planned Parenthood. Dreaming... another 'D' word: delusional. An unwanted child would have devastated these womens lives AND the lives of the children they would have had out of wedlock.

There are bad things that people do, repeatedly and they have very wide ranging consequences. I submit that, before abortion is made illegal then the following should also be criminalized: alcohol, tobacco, and handguns. Any of these things has vastly more impact on the public at large than the individual abortion that a woman might consider for her own selfish reasons.

H

Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,129,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am pro-choice and pro-life people are mostly religious nutcases who have absolutely no understanding of Science.

A fetus cannot feel pain until about 24 weeks- it cannot exist on its own without the mother, therefore it is not yet a human being.
It seems that you are referring to yourself not understanding human development, Repubocrat.

At 8 weeks gestation, ALL body systems are intact - including the nervous system that transmits pain.
By 12 weeks gestation, when many abortion murders are performed on children (developing human beings) - they can feel their body being ripped apart and show obvious agitation, even if you can't hear their screams...

The Silent Scream (Full Length) - YouTube

Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,129,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Making women get ultrasounds before the abortion is ONLY an attempt to change their mind, be cruel and shame her. It's bull**** and it's wrong.
Thank you for this example of narcissism that is so common in people who would rather get off and have unprotected sex and make a child (developing human being) pay for it by having the child's body ripped apart limb by limb through abortion murders. You don't care about the child - just the irresponsible mother (if you could call her that) and her natural feelings of shame for considering doing something cruel.
Any mother who has her own child killed should feel shame because it is cruel and unusual punishment to fatally punish her own life and blood child for her mistakes of not acting responsible sexually.

She has a choice - to have sex or not.
It is not her or anybody else's choice of whether to kill another human being or not.
She will live with the regret of such cruelty she inflicted, for the rest of her life.

Unfortunately, most women are not aware of human development.
It is important for such a major decision as killing one's own child to be made based on understanding, not ignorance.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 11-10-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Simply brilliant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/op...-pro-life.html

I'd quote a few key, specific sections, but think it's quite worthwhile to read the article in its entirety.
Great article, thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies