Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you keen on the idea of the United States becoming a second republic?
Absolutely 7 13.73%
Yes 3 5.88%
Maybe 11 21.57%
No 10 19.61%
Heck No 31 60.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM

758 posts, read 591,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Well if Congress cannot agree to amend the Constitution, what makes you think all factions in America can agree to scrap the Constitution in favor of a new one?
Because if there was a three party system that required only 51% of the vote instead of 2/3 compromise and approval from 3/4 of the state, then we'd get more amendments passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Those of you complaining about "anchor babies" still never told me what Indian tribes any of you belong to.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I've recently thought we might be better off with a Parliamentary system. My issue is most of Americans are not well educated or intelligent, and I don't put much faith in their ability to create a new system that works and doesn't oppress lots of people.
Sadly I'm in agreement with you about that one.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Stop trying to use a strawman argument to prove your point. It won't hold any water. Like Mitt Romney, you're trying to skirt around the issue.
Wow, what a comprehensive response to Mircea's points.

I'm guessing you are a product of government schools.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Why not? Do you realize that each state has a government as well?
Because it's not feasible. I'd vehemently suggest you read the book Foundation by Isaac Asimov. He compared it to living in a house with one bathroom. If there were two people in there, it's no big deal. However, if there are 20 people in that same household, there must be rules.

More people necessitate more government because otherwise, we'd live in a society where less than 1% owns all the wealth and resources while the other 99% are dirt poor. It would be like living in a monarchy or a plutocracy which is exactly where we're headed under the Ryan plan.

I find it rich how Romney says he wants to cut FEMA but now he all of a sudden changes his mind now that Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast and the election is next week. Ron Paul and all his Libertarian conspiracy theorists have this grandiose idea that we're supposed to have this free-for-all society, and it doesn't work that way.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Wow, what a comprehensive response to Mircea's points.

I'm guessing you are a product of government schools.
No, actually I'm highly educated, and I summed it all up with a one-liner. You have no counterargument either which is exactly why all you had was some snide remark.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Well if Congress cannot agree to amend the Constitution, what makes you think all factions in America can agree to scrap the Constitution in favor of a new one?
And that my friends is the entire crux wrapped all nice and neat for ya!

Plus, you don't have to be HIGHLY EDUCATED to figure it out!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
And that my friends is the entire crux wrapped all nice and neat for ya!

Plus, you don't have to be HIGHLY EDUCATED to figure it out!
Congress may not agree to scrap the Constitution, but there's not much they can do when there's a revolution with 315 million Americans on their hands. You don't have to be HIGHLY EDUCATED to figure that out, either.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Congress may not agree to scrap the Constitution, but there's not much they can do when there's a revolution with 315 million Americans on their hands. You don't have to be HIGHLY EDUCATED to figure that out, either.
Uhhh....assuming that 315 million Americans can agree to turn off WWF and/or quit posting on facebook or other internet message board type sites long enough to revolt.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
A revolution??? SERIOUSLY?
careful now, you will ruin your high education credibility with that one.

Honestly, I am on the fence with the new Constitution thing but am highly doubtful a revolution is in store anytime soon. Whether you like the constitution or not, we are stuck with it for a few more generations..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies