Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
You don't know, either. You're just making unfounded conjectures in the face of hard evidence of your wrongness.
I have provided an argument which you, despite five minutes of googling, have been unable to refute. ("Nordics"? Aren't those skis? Or ideal Nazis?)

And there is no need for honorifics. You needn't call me "Your Wrongness." Yeledaf will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
What argument? That US intergenerational income mobility would be higher than all of Europe if there were fewer illegal immigrants? If you provide no evidence then you bear the burden of proof. It's like claiming that Mexico is hotter than Canada because of an invasion of moon creatures, then jumping on my being unable to find an article that "disproves the moon creatures theory" as evidence of your winning the argument. I don't have unlimited access to the annals of knowledge of every thinker and researcher in the world. You're being obtuse.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
What argument? That US intergenerational income mobility would be higher if there were fewer illegal immigrants? If you provide no evidence then you bear the burden of proof. It's like claiming that Mexico is hotter than Canada because of an invasion of moon creatures, then jumping on my being unable to find an article that "disproves the moon creatures theory" as evidence of your winning the argument. I don't have unlimited access to the annals of knowledge of every thinker and researcher in the world.
Not at all. Calmness, grasshopper.

1. US income mobility is why we are who we are. Us. You and me.
2. It continues -- if not, why would so many continue to come here from all over the globe? The climate? AM radio? Check the waiting lists for H-1B visas. It's years long.
3. Arguments contrary to mine are likely skewed by the large numbers of indigent illegal immigrants.

Send ten million Mexicans to Oslo in cutoffs and flip-flops. Watch them fluff up the failure rate for "Nordic" mobility.

Jeez, Fish. Get reeled.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM

The huge, semi-oppressed immigrant population in France...

Sound familiar?

French official decries illegal immigration - USATODAY.com

Familiar?

JURIST - Paper Chase: German EU presidency to focus on containing illegal immigration

Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The huge, semi-oppressed immigrant population in France
That is a mumbled sentence fragment.

But I'll address it: most speak French (Moroocco, Algeria). There arent many of them. There is no open border.

They can't play mariachi.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That is a mumbled sentence fragment.

But I'll address it: most speak French (Moroocco, Algeria). There arent many of them. There is no open border.

They can't play mariachi.
How do you know there aren't many of them? And if they're doing better than the illegal immigrants in America, then why were they out on the streets rioting and protesting earlier this year (or was it last year)...?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
How do you know there aren't many of them? And if they're doing better than the illegal immigrants in America, then why were they out on the streets rioting and protesting earlier this year (or was it last year)...?
1. I've been there, many times. (What can I say -- I've got a couscous Jones).

2. The rioters and protestors were mostly students and government workers outraged over the prospect that they could be forced to work 36 hours a week and be fired for incompetence, stealing, or embezzlement. Kind of like America would be if you and your commie cohorts took over. (I asked citigirl and she agrees.)

Old 10-17-2007, 02:41 PM

If you say so

CBC News Indepth: France Riots

Chirac addresses inequities as spark for riots - Europe - MSNBC.com

You were totally right, the rioters were a bunch of pampered garbage collectors angry about having their lavish pensions cut. For someone who says he's never been to France you are definitely an expert.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
If you say so

CBC News Indepth: France Riots

Chirac addresses inequities as spark for riots - Europe - MSNBC.com

You were totally right, the rioters were a bunch of pampered garbage collectors angry about having their lavish pensions cut. For someone who says he's never been to France you are definitely an expert.
2005? That was like two years ago!

2006 labour protests in France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Becker-Posner Blog: The Latest French Riots--Posner (http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/archives/2006/03/the_latest_fren.html - broken link)

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-17-2007 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Alright... touche... touche... I didn't notice the dates on the articles.

"outraged over the prospect that they could be forced to work 36 hours a week and be fired for incompetence, stealing, or embezzlement" -- actually, according to the article, the law was that they could be fired for no reason at the whim of the employer, which is quite a bit more general than "incompetence, stealing, and embezzlement," but you know, the workers are always evil and pampered and the business owners are always persecuted,

I apologize for my above sarcastic tone accompanied by mild ignorance... however, the fact stands that the immigrant population in France DID riot over discrimination and unemployment, one year earlier than I thought (which is irrelevant to the discussion, by the way, although it makes my ironic tone in the previous post unjustified, sorry), but recently nevertheless. SO... your claim that the US has lower income mobility because of our immigrant population continues to not stand and remains completely evidence-free.

Last edited by fishmonger; 10-17-2007 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies