Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the definition of marriage?
A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of procreation and mutual help. 29 20.42%
. A natural union of one man and one woman for purposes of recreational sex. 1 0.70%
. A religious union of one man and one woman for purposes determined by the religion of the spouses. 9 6.34%
Either A, or C, or both. 11 7.75%
A legal union of one man and one woman established for the good of society. 3 2.11%
A legal union of two consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 54 38.03%
A legal union of two or more consenting adults, of any sex, established for any purpose. 22 15.49%
Whatever the majority of voters in a true democracy decide that it is at any given time. 1 0.70%
Whatever the law decrees that it is at any given time. 12 8.45%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,589,733 times

Advertisements

Determined by each state;really.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM

194 posts, read 296,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Are you suggesting that the privileges enjoyed by opposite-sex married couples are granted on the basis of sexual behavior?
Don't deflect my question with your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I am saying that all American citizens should be treated equally under the laws of our country as per the 14th amendment to the constitution. No state can legally abridge the rights, protections, or privileges of any citizen.
I agree and no one should have rights, protections, or privileges abridged for them based on sex.

Quote:
Your marriage must be sad if it revolves around sex.
I agree and I assure you that no marriage of mine ever will.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:40 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,427,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
I agree and no one should have rights, protections, or privileges abridged for them based on sex.
And what makes you so sure that sex is the only thing that defines homosexuality, as opposed to heterosexuality?

Do you believe that same-sex partners -- or infertile and/or asexual opposite-sex couples -- are incapable of loving each other?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,459,648 times
Quote:
And what makes you so sure that sex is the only thing that defines homosexuality, as opposed to heterosexuality?

Do you believe that same-sex partners -- or infertile and/or asexual opposite-sex couples -- are incapable of loving each other?
I think that many christians refuse to acknowledge us as even equal humans, they think we do not bleed the same blood or feel pain. They have become so egocentric to even voice that they believe anyone not believing in their bible or god are heathens and need to be converted. I am against missionaries for that reason, they do their damnedest to change the religion of those they profess to want to help. Help them but leave their beliefs alone. But that is not good enough for them, they treat all that are not the same as they are as less than equal, not worthy of going to their fictitious heaven and tell us that we are going to hell. I could never understand why a christian, when they ask me if I believe in god and I say no, they ask me how I can feel that way knowing I may go to hell. I tell them that I neither believe in their god, their heaven or their hell. I believe in this planet earth and preserving its integrity. They then dismiss me as a pagan or wiccan. Why must they think we have to have a belief in a higher being?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Why must they think we have to have a belief in a higher being?
Because everything the Bible is true -- it says so right there in the Bible!

Or something.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Quote:
If a person going into marriage knows that they are not able to procreate than I have to question their motives.
How about the fact that "their motives" are none of your concern. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllari
You can love someone without being married to them.

And you can be married and not love someone at all. What's your point?

Quote:
In fact since you bring up Jesus, the World of Our Lord states that it is in no way compulsory to get married. Furthermore males and females would do well to refrain from marriage unless they discern the call to matrimony which is not something to take lightly. As a Catholic I can tell you that it can be a lenghty process to get receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and it is a good thing, which is why so few Catholics ever divorce.
Your religious perspective on marriage is yours and yours alone. Just as you would not accept another religion's perspective on marriage, you surely understand why people who don't believe the same way you do do not want you determining how to live their own lives.

Also, I'm not impressed with the "so few catholics divorce" statement, as almost 1/4 have been divorced:

Barna report: Variation in divorce rates among Christian faith groups:

Non-denominational ** 34%
Baptists 29%
Mainline Protestants 25%
Mormons 24%
Catholics 21%
Lutherans 21%

Quote:
I'm not telling you have to live your life nor do I believe that anyone in my Church would intentionally mean to do so. We strive to inform you of the consequences of your actions and pray that you refrain from that which we know will not lead you to fulfillment.
Keep it to yourself. Really. Do you like Jehova's Witnesses knocking at your door, "striving to inform you" that what you believe is wrong, and what they believe is right? How about Muslims? You want to listen to them talk about how you're an infidel who's going to Hell for your beliefs? You going to change your beliefs?

Now, I know you people like to believe that you have "the Truth (TM)", among all the other thousands of belief systems out there, but you have to respect that thinking people are skeptical, and learn to live with the fact that they will make up their own minds on how to live, and what to believe.

Quote:
Marriage may not lead to procreation but it should be ordered towards procreation.

Says you, and in your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that these priviledges be granted on the basis of sexual behavior alone?
No "sexual behavior" is necessary for marriage to be valid at all. None.

In fact, a gay man and a straight woman can get married today, never have sex, not love each other, and still enjoy the rights, privileges and responsibilities of marriage.

Yet, a same sex couple that does love each other, WANTS to raise a family (adoption, surrogacy or otherwise).... CANNOT!

That is absurd.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Quote:
Because everything the Bible is true -- it says so right there in the Bible!

Or something.

Using the Bible as a source for the existence of God is like using comic books to prove the existence of Super Man.

I defy anyone to say that each doesn't have its own set of fervent followers!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,136,310 times
Quote:
Don't deflect my question with your own.

I agree and I assure you that no marriage of mine ever will.
No ones rights, protections or privileges would be abridged by allowing marriage between any consenting adults.
How would my marriage harm you?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Yup.

If orientation and sexuality are inseparable, then why is the Vatican on a witch hunt against gay priests -- who are all (at least theoretically) celibate?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
No ones rights, protections or privileges would be abridged by allowing marriage between any consenting adults.
How would my marriage harm you?
It would make Mylläri feel icky, apparently. What a big selfish meanie you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies