Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Looters target Coney Island after Sandy sweeps through - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Four foot storm surge flowed over over Coney Island. Imediately after the water receded, the residents of the hood didn't go for the food stores. First victim was the Rent-A-Center store for the big HDTV's. Then the liquor store. Gotta have something to drink when you watch MTV.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Reports have begun to filter in today of looters robbing homes while posing as Con Ed workers.
» Brooklyn Residents In Fear Of Looters Pretending To Be FEMA Workers Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I read an article yesterday where a drug store got vandalized and they went for the drugs.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times
Default And it may get worse

Still there is a thread on this forum implying no looting. Why doesn't the OP take it down?

I fear things will even get worse...People will start taking from others whatever they feel entitled to...

If it does get worse, I wonder what NYers will think about their gun laws?...Let's face it, the criminals are armed.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
the lootathon has just begun. americans like free stuff..

Old 11-01-2012, 09:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Still there is a thread on this forum implying no looting. Why doesn't the OP take it down?

I fear things will even get worse...People will start taking from others whatever they feel entitled to...

If it does get worse, I wonder what NYers will think about their gun laws?...Let's face it, the criminals are armed.
First, I cannot take a thread down even if I started it. Second, as I have explained repeatedly in that thread, most of these news stories are all reporting the same handful of people who allegedly looted areas of Coney Island and Queens. 9-13 people in an area of 20 million plus suffering from at least 3 days with no power. The officials reported zero looting at the time I posted that thread. There has been virtually no looting. I know that hurts your hopeful aspirations that liberal area with strict gun laws will succumb to massive looting and roving bans of hooligans, but it hasn't happened and it's not going to happen.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
First, I cannot take a thread down even if I started it. Second, as I have explained repeatedly in that thread, most of these news stories are all reporting the same handful of people who allegedly looted areas of Coney Island and Queens. 9-13 people in an area of 20 million plus suffering from at least 3 days with no power. The officials reported zero looting at the time I posted that thread. There has been virtually no looting. I know that hurts your hopeful aspirations that liberal area with strict gun laws will succumb to massive looting and roving bans of hooligans, but it hasn't happened and it's not going to happen.
No - I do not wish that any area suffers from violence in any form. And I do like the NY/NJ area, and the people in it.

As far as the gun laws - let's face it: People should have the right to protect themselves.

I do not know if you lived in a state that had a right to carry law. It is not what you may think.

The background checks are comprehensive. And you may be surprised to know that many people (like myself) that have licenses, rarely carry our handguns.

Mostly I carry one when I am going to a remote area (not an urban area, not a poor area - a remote area).
And that is because there will be no one around to help if I have a problem (such as driving long distance on a remote highway).

I really do not have to repeat what you probably already know - Licensed gun carriers have an extremely low rate of using their weapons illegally....And if you are going to say something about this guy in Florida - Please,- Is it happening every day?

I really do not go out late at night - I'm happy at home. But in an area like NYC or Newark - Someone going into a dangerous area, at a dangerous time, should have a right to protect themselves. And perhaps prevent some young guy from making a very serious mistake in his life...After all, facing off against someone that they know practices in a shooting range, will make them think. (Those semi-automatics are not very accurate unless you practice and carefully re-aim...A revolver in capable hands can be very accurate)

I live near a large city, and it does have rough areas, with gang activity and violent crime. Many of the people that I see at the shooting ranges are African-American. Latino, and you name it...They are licensensed gun carriers or police officers, or business owners.

So, I am sure that all types of people are going to the inner city, carrying their weapons. But, there is no high amount of incidences of licensed gun owners shooting people. After all, it's not just the fact that the classes you take make you appreciate your responsibility - there are also the liability laws, as well as the criminal laws. And the fact that the background checks allow licenses to law abiding people...not gunslingers.

The truth is, even though there are laws in many states allowing people to carry, not many people do carry at all times, and a majority of people do not even bother to get licenses.

There is no reason why people in the NY/NJ area should not have the rights.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Looters should be shot on sight. It's an old rule that still works.

I won't argue there. It's too bad that there are people in our society who would take advantage of others in a bad situation like this.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
No - I do not wish that any area suffers from violence in any form. And I do like the NY/NJ area, and the people in it.

As far as the gun laws - let's face it: People should have the right to protect themselves.

I do not know if you lived in a state that had a right to carry law. It is not what you may think.

The background checks are comprehensive. And you may be surprised to know that many people (like myself) that have licenses, rarely carry our handguns.

Mostly I carry one when I am going to a remote area (not an urban area, not a poor area - a remote area).
And that is because there will be no one around to help if I have a problem (such as driving long distance on a remote highway).

I really do not have to repeat what you probably already know - Licensed gun carriers have an extremely low rate of using their weapons illegally....And if you are going to say something about this guy in Florida - Please,- Is it happening every day?

I really do not go out late at night - I'm happy at home. But in an area like NYC or Newark - Someone going into a dangerous area, at a dangerous time, should have a right to protect themselves. And perhaps prevent some young guy from making a very serious mistake in his life...After all, facing off against someone that they know practices in a shooting range, will make them think. (Those semi-automatics are not very accurate unless you practice and carefully re-aim...A revolver in capable hands can be very accurate)

I live near a large city, and it does have rough areas, with gang activity and violent crime. Many of the people that I see at the shooting ranges are African-American. Latino, and you name it...They are licensensed gun carriers or police officers, or business owners.

So, I am sure that all types of people are going to the inner city, carrying their weapons. But, there is no high amount of incidences of licensed gun owners shooting people. After all, it's not just the fact that the classes you take make you appreciate your responsibility - there are also the liability laws, as well as the criminal laws. And the fact that the background checks allow licenses to law abiding people...not gunslingers.

The truth is, even though there are laws in many states allowing people to carry, not many people do carry at all times, and a majority of people do not even bother to get licenses.

There is no reason why people in the NY/NJ area should not have the rights.
Those people have the rights but there state governments are breaking the LAW.

I live very rural and carry when ever and where ever i want and that counts NYC to Washington DC Boston too because that is where the most crime is.

I don't make a big deal of it, more so since the criminal Govts denies my rights. To see me you wouldn't guess i was armed.

I probably would not shoot a looter. I pretty much don't care what someone would take, unless it would harm me and mine. Do that and i will shoot, been tested once before too.

One less bad guy on the street. Oh well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies