Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM

210 posts, read 269,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
How in the world is it strange? And, notice I did not bring God or religion into this at all. This view of saving sex for a monogamous, committed relationship makes sense whether one is religious or not. An STD does not care whether one is religious or not....It effects both groups equally.
Hey I didn't say that! Nice try though.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

489 posts, read 621,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
Hey I didn't say that! Nice try though.
Ok...fair enough....I guess I misread it? But, you still have not explained what is strange about monogamous sex???

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
Well the ability to get pregnant cannot be controlled, but methods such as NFP are ways to decrease the probablity

this is not true. pregnancy can be controlled with birth control/contraception and with far greater reliability then NFP.
You're getting too caught up in semantics. Its like saying you're patriotic because you support the Patriot Act.

Same with contraception, the distinction is that contraception intends to defeat the life-giving purpose of sex while NFP seeks to limit it while engaging in sexual intercourse naturally. NFP does not attempt to close life out but rather promotes the responsible acceptance that no matter what you do so long as you engage in sexual intercourse, a likely result is pregnancy. To think otherwise is to believe a lie, which brings us to our next quote...you seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth or you do not understand the concept of birth control. most BC other then sterilization doe not "defeat the life giving purpose of sex" it promotes acceptance that you can plan your family when you want, not just play "russian roulette".

You're right, which I why I protest to the lies being sold to people about sex as well as contraception.
there is no lie with contraception. it is used until you want to be a parent.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Ok...fair enough....I guess I misread it? But, you still have not explained what is strange about monogamous sex???
I didn't say that either.

What's wrong with having the same flavor of ice cream every day of your life? Nothing.

But don't pretend, even for a second, that it's for everyone or that it will solve the world's problems. And don't force that belief on everyone via laws or moral mandates or whatever else you try to pull.

(BTW everyone knows pistachio is the best!)

Last edited by icametodropbombs; 11-02-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Well, I believe people should wait until marriage. And I do like sex, thank you! If everyone waited till marriage, and only had sex with their one partner exclusively, think about how different our world would be! Children born in stable families with two parents ( and probably a better financial situation), probably millions of abortions averted, no STD's to worry about , and millions less broken hearts due to people giving themselves to people they have no binding commitment to. That is not extreme, that is just smart. Sex is a powerful force for good if used correctly, and for destruction if used incorrectly.
and what rose colored world do you live in that people will wait for marriage? what rose color world is it the even people who wait for marriage still don't get divorced and the children are not living in "stable families"?

"sex a powerful force if used correctly, and for destruction if used incorrectly" consensual sex is good, period. the intent of it is personal to the persons involved. no one has to live their sex life for your values. don't expect that they will.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylläri View Post
This goes back to the purpose of sexual intercourse, which is to create life first and foremost. When sex is closed to its life-giving purpose (ie through contraception, abortion, homosexual behavior) then it is essentially trivialized to the point that it has no use. In fact then its only use is to objectify the individuals partaking in it, robbing them of their worth and value as human beings. This is done purely for self-centered reasons that one cannot rationalize away, you're not willing the good of another.

Just because someone wants something they want or doesn't want something they don't want doesn't dictate actual necessity, in the fulfillment you seek you'll only find emptiness through irresponsible behavior.
Are you sure you're not a priest? You sound like the priests who used to try to lecture us about this stuff when I was in high school. The only way someone could rattle off this kind of nonsense is if they know absolutely nothing about sex.

Are you also prepared to ban everyone past menopause, or medically infertile from having sex? After all, in those circumstances sex is, as you put it, "closed to its life-giving purpose," just as much as with contraception (even the rhythm method, which is what you favor).

Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM

489 posts, read 621,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
and what rose colored world do you live in that people will wait for marriage? what rose color world is it the even people who wait for marriage still don't get divorced and the children are not living in "stable families"?

"sex a powerful force if used correctly, and for destruction if used incorrectly" consensual sex is good, period. the intent of it is personal to the persons involved. no one has to live their sex life for your values. don't expect that they will.
I don't live in a rose-colored world. I live in the same broken, screwed-up world you do. I am fully aware that most people do not wait for marriage. I did. My husband did. Will teach my children that this is the best way, but will not shame them if they do not wait. I will tell them the truth about STD's, pregnancy, broken hearts, etc. Though. They will have to make their own choices.

Consensual sex is good? Not always. My mom contracted an STD from my dad which turned into cancer. She is fighting for her life. All because my dad could not keep his pants zipped. So, no rose colored glasses here. But, do I live with the consequences of other people's bad actions ( that happened years and years ago). You bet, and my kids might have to pay by not getting to grow up with their grandma. And, worst of all, this so called "sexual freedom" may just cost my mom her life.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
I don't live in a rose-colored world. I live in the same broken, screwed-up world you do. I am fully aware that most people do not wait for marriage. I did. My husband did. Will teach my children that this is the best way, but will not shame them if they do not wait. I will tell them the truth about STD's, pregnancy, broken hearts, etc. Though. They will have to make their own choices.

Consensual sex is good? Not always. My mom contracted an STD from my dad which turned into cancer. She is fighting for her life. All because my dad could not keep his pants zipped. So, no rose colored glasses here. But, do I live with the consequences of other people's bad actions ( that happened years and years ago). You bet, and my kids might have to pay by not getting to grow up with their grandma. And, worst of all, this so called "sexual freedom" may just cost my mom her life.

I'm so sorry for your family. Think of all the people who have died from AIDS and their families. I hope they have support groups and help for you and your kids. Sad the only way some will learn is to watch the horrors of other people suffering.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'm so sorry for your family. Think of all the people who have died from AIDS and their families. I hope they have support groups and help for you and your kids. Sad the only way some will learn is to watch the horrors of other people suffering.
Really? That's thje ONLY way? My, what a black and white world you must live in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies