Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM

210 posts, read 269,154 times

Advertisements

"The spring of my sophomore year of college I was president of my university's Students for Life chapter. The fall of my junior year of college I cut my ties with the pro-life movement. Five years later I have lost the last shred of faith I had in that movement. This is my story."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoy...-movement.html

Some pretty interesting stuff I've never heard of in there. Might have to re-think a few things.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Good riddance.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
"The spring of my sophomore year of college I was president of my university's Students for Life chapter. The fall of my junior year of college I cut my ties with the pro-life movement. Five years later I have lost the last shred of faith I had in that movement. This is my story."

How I Lost Faith in the “Pro-Life” Movement

Some pretty interesting stuff I've never heard of in there. Might have to re-think a few things.
Agreed. Being "pro choice" IMHO goes 2 ways. Places like China women are under lots of pressure by the government to abort a 2nd child even if SHE don't wont to abort; I've got a real problem with that too.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Hogwash. She assumes birth control is 100% when we all know it isn't. There are many oops and then an abortion follows.

I just know before the pill was ever available we did not have that many girls going off to find a back alley abortion. If that was the case we would have many of them dying and in the hospital, etc. it would have been reported. In my school I only heard of one girl who got pregnant before marriage and then she got married.

This girl just decided it was too hard to wait until marriage or until she was ready to support a child. That is ok but she needs to be honest about it.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Great article, although I assume that most people here won't read it.

I'll just ask a couple of questions to those who call themselves "pro-lie":

1. How many times have you been to a funeral for a miscarried fetus?
2. If you believe that a fetus or embryo is a fully formed human being with all the rights of any other human being, how much money have you donated to research that would prevent miscarriages?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lark View Post
In all fairness most people cannot be prolife in the true sense of the word. Who opposes carpet bombings, most wars, the death penalty, etc...? I can count on my hand the number of people who sincerely oppose these actions.
I sincerely oppose war, abortion and the death penalty.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

210 posts, read 269,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

I just know before the pill was ever available we did not have that many girls going off to find a back alley abortion. If that was the case we would have many of them dying and in the hospital, etc. it would have been reported. In my school I only heard of one girl who got pregnant before marriage and then she got married.
Banning abortion does not actually affect abortion rates.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_IAW.html

Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Abortion stops a beating heart.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Quote:
Hogwash. She assumes birth control is 100% when we all know it isn't. There are many oops and then an abortion follows.
There is no foolproof, failsafe method. Contraceptives and abstinence, in theory, both can be effective. However, in example, just as a condom can accidentally break, one can also 'give in' to a fundamental drive, and end up pregnant.

Quote:
Contraceptives decrease rates of unplanned pregnancy, and, subsequently abortion. Research clearly demonstrates this--rather than your anecdotal narrative. Further, women have had abortions throughout the century, legal or illegal, pill or before pill. This will continue as well, even if all contraceptives were outlawed and abortion was illegal. Are you insinuating that you would like to see contraceptives out of the picture as well? If so, how will this prevent pregnancies and abortion? Please elaborate.

A rational compromise on this matter is what is needed, religious beliefs aside, taking into consideration that both abstinence and contraceptives both have their flaws.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Abortion stops a beating heart.
So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies