Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Here's my prediction. When Christie comes up for election in NJ or elsewhere, people will recall he did right by the people and put that above kissing GOP azz. The a-hole republicans that I loathe so much were so set on screwing Obama and bending over for Norquist that that they could not help us get out of this recession. They disgust me completely.

Politicians of both parties should endeavor to really do their jobs first, and seek political advantage later. Lives are on the line. No Governor owes his party more than his constituents. Christie has proved he is a good leader, and I think people of all political stripes will respect that. I am no fan of Rudy Giuliani's politics, but there is no doubt he was a bad ass after 9/11.
Agreed. The good politicians step up when it really matters. The bad ones blame others and fire people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Here's the deal: Christie knows his constituency. He knows New Jersey voters aren't going to put up with the redneck, half-baked troll politics that has infested the GOP outside the Northeastern U.S. I've also suspected a part of Christie is indifferent to Romney's fate, considering the fact that if Mittens loses, he's the golden boy in 2016.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Here's the deal: Christie knows his constituency. He knows New Jersey voters aren't going to put up with the redneck, half-baked troll politics that has infested the GOP outside the Northeastern U.S. I've also suspected a part of Christie is indifferent to Romney's fate, considering the fact that if Mittens loses, he's the golden boy in 2016.
true
i consider myself independent even tho im def more left, but im open minded and see myself supporting a repub, if hes good, i pick common sense instead of parties, i dont get how people support the GOP right now tho, like you said it seems like a party full of backwards ass old fashioned ass weird ass white people, they blasted erything obama offered or did, they ll never get independents or moderates with that kinda behavior

Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
But don't you have to wonder if he isn't content where he's at? Makes plenty of $$, admired by the majority of his state, and could probably live a long, long peaceful time there. Why would he want to go through the unrestrained ridicule and microscopic scrutiny that goes along with being POTUS in this day and age? Does he have that kind of ego, or is he just happy doing a fine job where he is at?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM

christie looks like hes fine where hes at plus hes too fat to be a pres, jus a fact of life, people are gon hold it against him

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Two politicians spending other people's money, no need treat it like the second coming.
Right, and just let 6-8 million people rot without power, water, sanitation, transportation. Hey, that's a fast way to reduce the population. Really bright comment, there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Now if the motives were pure there would have been no photo op and just a tour.
So, tell me. When would our elected leaders have a "pure" motive? If not now, when? The east coast is in a helluva mess which won't be cleaned up for a decade. Have you ANY clue how serious this is about to get? There is no expectation of power restoration for weeks and weeks. That's millions of people in a highly populated area without electricity, clean water, sanitation - the basics of life. This afternoon 6.5 million people were without power in 17 states. The fires are still burning in some areas of NJ. The subway tunnels in NY are flooded - with incalculable damage to wiring, machinery. And on, and on, and on. 9/11 was bad in terms of human toll. This is much worse in terms of disruption of lives and long-term human and economic damage. Expect many bankruptcies and business failures. The only silver lining is the rebuilding should bring some economic prosperity to NY and NJ which both have very HIGH rates of unemployment. NY @ 8.9%, NJ at 9.8%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
btw i jus heard on cnn that earlier christie tried to change some kinda ancient law that fined utility companies only 100 dollas a day when they don't provide power to increase it to much more so they are more stimulated to fix it fast, i looked it up and here it is, another plus for him, he almost anticipated this disaster:
Christie proposes law to spur N.J. utilities during weather emergencies
The measure increases fines from $100 to $25,000 a day with a maximum penalty of $2 million for violations in responding to an extended power outage. And it prevents utilities from passing those costs along to customers.
i bet they'd move their ass faster if they were fined this much ery day
Well, based on what I'm seeing, I think anything along this line might be a bit premature. This is a huge disaster of enormous complexity due to the population density of the areas involved, in particular NYC and NJ - and the role NYC plays in commerce. Employees of these utility companies were personally affected as well, many losing homes. It will take long time to fix this. Somehow, they'll figure out a way to make it work though. If NY/NJ people can't overcome this, no one can.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM

yea i hear ya, but the thing is they knew its gon be bad, eryone warned
either way, mta jus said they don't know when they ll restore all the subway service, in fact they said, they are not sure they ll be able to restore the subway all the way cuz some stations are beyond repair.
some people who saw katrina say this one mite end up worse economically, since it's such a complex environment to work in, a lot more difficult than new orleans, a ton of damaged infrastucture, density, tunnels, etc, its hard to believe a cat 1 hurricane caused this kinda damage, many nj transit train tracks got washed off...so jersey people can't go to work in nyc and A LOT OF PEOPLE who work in nyc live in jersey, ery day hundreds of thousands of people can't come to work, huge money is lost, on top of already existing damage

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 PM

Except no one in their wildest dreams could have expected this. Never happened before. They prepared based on recent experiences.

I think economic damage will exceed Katrina and agree, it is a much more complicated situation than Katrina all-around. I remember a piece on 60 Minutes a number of years back, talking about all the NY tunnels, age, deterioration, labrynthian maze. Very scary.

Also, millions commute to NY every day for work. No trains, no subways. It's mind-boggling.

Yup, NYC is in a big, big mess. Far worse than most people realize - except those who actually work those tunnels and run that city.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Except no one in their wildest dreams could have expected this. Never happened before. They prepared based on recent experiences.

I think economic damage will exceed Katrina and agree, it is a much more complicated situation than Katrina all-around. I remember a piece on 60 Minutes a number of years back, talking about all the NY tunnels, age, deterioration, labrynthian maze. Very scary.

Also, millions commute to NY every day for work. No trains, no subways. It's mind-boggling.

Yup, NYC is in a big, big mess. Far worse than most people realize - except those who actually work those tunnels and run that city.
i cant really say anyth bad bout nj in this sense, but in nyc this is gon play a huge role, and it always annoyed me, this is posed to be the most powerful and important city in the US, perhaps the world, a lot of money in it, yet everything is so run down, old and unmaintained, it amazed me still, by logic it should be in the best condition ever, in reality its in mch worse condition than yo average america infrastructure, nyc was completely unprepared for this storm, and now they're paying a price, unfortunately the regular people, as usual, have to suffer the most
a good example is how two hospitals lost ALL power and had to evacuate patients in extreme conditions, one hospital during the actual hurricane, one-today, things like that should never happen, and when it happens not once, but twice in one place at the same time, it shows you what i described above,
the only beef in regards to nj is that towns are old and all the power lines are above homes, unlike in newer areas, but that'd be too expensive to replace i guess, still an issue, esp now

Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 AM

^^I have a few comments on the above, but I've gotta get to bed. Will resume tomorrow. If you are in NJ, hope you're safe. G'night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies