Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM

39,800 posts, read 26,292,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
HOBOKEN, N.J. (AP) — Officials in the city of Hoboken, N.J., are defending their response to severe flooding from superstorm Sandy.

Public Safety director Jon Tooke says at least 25 percent of the city on the Hudson River across from Manhattan remains under water. He estimates at least 20,000 people are stranded and says most are being encouraged to shelter in place until floodwaters recede.

Tempers flared Wednesday morning outside City Hall as some residents complained the city was slow to get food and other supplies out to the stranded.

Tooke says emergency personnel have been working 24/7. He says the "scope of this situation is enormous."
http://news.yahoo.com/tempers-flare-...171518266.html

After many days of warnings to evacuate and have basic survival supplies on hand to get by for several days...it sounds like there are still people that ignored the warnings. Sounds more like Katrina all the time in terms of people's reactions.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 10-31-2012 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,702,558 times
Yes, this is a difficult situation. Seems like the news, and the President, and all the authorities were very clear of the risks involved, yet somehow we have to save their arses when they ignored all the advice given. Typical.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,906,504 times
People don't think it will happen to them..... And then they don't understand why they're up sh*t creek when the wheels come off.

I don't neccessarily agree with her, but my fundamentalist mother stated that this type of issue has been a problem since the time when people laughed at Noah while he labored building his ark.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,138,285 times
too many people still rely on uncle sugar to take care of them if something happens. I wonder if those sheep will ever get it?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM

781 posts, read 1,190,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
After many days of warnings to evacuate and have basic survival supplies on hand to get by for several days...it sounds like there are still people that ignored the warnings. Sounds more like Katrina all the time in terms of people's reactions.
To be fair, Hoboken leadership, in comparison to Mayor Bloomberg, or Governor Christie, didn't do all that it could have prior to the storm. The mayor of Hoboken required a mandatory evacuation of residents living in basement and first floor units rather than just a blanket evacuation of all residents living in areas historically prone to flooding. From what I read, they also primarily relied on a volunteer group to go door-to-door to warn residents to leave, whereas Bloomberg involved the NYPD.

I don't understand the rationale behind a basement/first floor unit evacuation--that left the opening for many to be stranded on higher floors (with supplies or not) if the flood waters reached a certain height they anticipated--which, it did, and then some.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 PM

39,800 posts, read 26,292,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
To be fair, Hoboken leadership, in comparison to Mayor Bloomberg, or Governor Christie, didn't do all that it could have prior to the storm. The mayor of Hoboken required a mandatory evacuation of residents living in basement and first floor units rather than just a blanket evacuation of all residents living in areas historically prone to flooding. From what I read, they also primarily relied on a volunteer group to go door-to-door to warn residents to leave, whereas Bloomberg involved the NYPD.

I don't understand the rationale behind a basement/first floor unit evacuation--that left the opening for many to be stranded on higher floors (with supplies or not) if the flood waters reached a certain height they anticipated--which, it did, and then some.
I haven't found really good information...have most of the floodwaters drained from streets in the city yet? Are things passable? I hope it's not like NOLA where the whole city is below sea level and stays flooded for weeks.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,189,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post

If an area is historically prone to flooding, why do they need to be forcefully told to move?
You can't seriously believe that these people didn't hear on the radio, TV, internet or from friends that there was a major storm coming.

How would people remaining in the basement or first floor assist/support those living above?
I don't understand the logic here.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,916,193 times
Where's FEMA?????

Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 AM

781 posts, read 1,190,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I haven't found really good information...have most of the floodwaters drained from streets in the city yet? Are things passable? I hope it's not like NOLA where the whole city is below sea level and stays flooded for weeks.
I'm frustratingly not in NY at the moment, only have family scattered throughout the LI/NYC/NJ area who have been providing me personal accounts of issues at the neighborhood level. Along with the NYTimes/Washington Post coverage... From photos I've seen, parts of NJ and specific areas on the South Shore of LI are reminiscent of NOLA.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,492,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
People don't think it will happen to them..... And then they don't understand why they're up sh*t creek when the wheels come off.

I don't neccessarily agree with her, but my fundamentalist mother stated that this type of issue has been a problem since the time when people laughed at Noah while he labored building his ark.
Not to take away from the disaster and the suffering of many, but that is pretty darn funny. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies