Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
And what about the CEO who makes 400 times the salary of an average worker in his or her company? Do really believe that one person's work can really be worth 400 times that of someone else's?

Bull.

No one becomes a multi-millionaire purely through their own labor. They become multi-millionaires because they find a way not to just to claim their owns earnings, but the earnings of lots of people who work under them as well. That is the real theft.
Regardless of how much that CEO might be overpaid for doing his job that doesn't entitle someone else to part of his salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahrrier View Post
So called conservatives are just as bad as liberals. If you have children and take the child deductions and credits you are getting a hand out.
More bizarre liberal logic. So keeping more of MY income that I EARNED is a handout...ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Please educate me if I am wrong ... but how common is that in this day and age?

I mean, I'm a landlord and I was asked if I would be willing to accept Section 8 clients ... the wait in my county is something like 10 years for an applicant to get a Section 8 apartment, and even then the housing isn't free - they'll kick in $500 on a $900 apartment. From my experience the buildings that will accept Section 8 are always ugly run down very undesirable places to live that just barely conforms to building codes.

So I guess my point is: if you think some "Welfare Queen" is enjoying cocktails on the terrace of her ocean front Miami Beach condo on your dime I think you are very mistaken.

You would not want to live in Section 8 housing ... believe me.
Well she made the choices I didn't. I know, I know, you want us to get all emotional and prefer that the people who made better choices pay for her cocktails on the terrace while she watches the waves roll in? Sorry, you don't bite me by supporting a man who's only answer is to raise taxes and expect me to have sympathy.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Regardless of how much that CEO might be overpaid for doing his job that doesn't entitle someone else to part of his salary.

More bizarre liberal logic. So keeping more of MY income that I EARNED is a handout...ok...
How about the fact that by overpaying the CEO - money is being taken from the middle class salary?

Works both ways.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Its time for the Tea Party to rise. Why should seniors over 65 half to pay taxes? Let the younger people pay taxes and let the Tea Partying seniors off the hook. Why not roll out the Red Carpet when people turn 65 and let them off the hook of taxes and while at the same time increase their Medicare benefits? Give them Dental and Optical and pick up all the co-pays, sounds fair to most Tea Partiers.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How about the fact that by overpaying the CEO - money is being taken from the middle class salary?

Works both ways.
This happened because labor has become increasingly less valuable since around 1972 (when median wages peaked). Why? Because of automation replacing workers, sending manufacturing and jobs overseas, and too many people flooding the workforce since 1965. Of the three, the last two are a DIRECT RESULT of Washington's tax and immigration policies.

Without Washington providing very favorable tax treatment for outsourcing manufacturing and labor, labor would have retained a large amount of power. And without Washington instituting open-door immigration in 1965 and quickly flooding the workforce (particularly the lower-paid workforce), businesses would never have been able to continually reduce wages and benefits for everyone.

The only surprise is that so many in the working force think Washington cares about them, and protects them from Big Business abuses. Do they not understand that the working class pays for Big Government, while Big Businesses rarely pay any taxes at all? Do they not see that Big Government politicians "pay back" the Big Business campaign contributions that elected them with the working class's tax dollars, and regulations that kill small businesses that might compete? Take Google, which "spends more than $18 million on lobbying and has now moved its Washington office closer to Capitol Hill" (Virtual Mining Bitcoin News » Lobbying corporations the result of big government not market). Big Business does not spend that kind of money without a GREAT return on investment.

Big Business thrives, and the small businesses that provide upward mobility and treat their workers well are DESTROYED, when Big Government sets endless laws/regulations and makes an incredibly complex tax code that GIVES taxpayer money to huge corporations.

And the destruction of the Middle Class by Robber Baron CEOs could not have happened without Big Government deciding on open-door immigration in 1965 and flooding the workforce--thus destroying the value of labor by sheer oversupply.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Anyone who feels that they should not pay taxes should be living off the grid and not be utilizing any publicly owned infrastructure, parks and recreational facilities or public services including the judicial system. If you forfeit the use of these things, you can probably not appear to be an idiot in refusing to pay your share of taxes.
That would be everyone that is 100% totally dependent on welfare. They have been doing it for decades and generations. That would also include public education, funded by the taxpayer, and clearly they don't take advantage of that.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Works both ways.
Not really. The workers are working for an agreed upon wage.

Regardless, both are working for their money. They're earning it.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Liberals in this country want to take from people who have earned a living and give those assets to people who have not earned it.

Liberal politicians, have successfully changed the notion of "selfishness" into something that is perceived by people who take, as "entitlement".

Why is it that with Democrats, it's selfish for someone to want to keep what they've earned?

Why is it not also selfish then, for someone to want to take it? (via left wing big government)

Isn't stealing and redistribution, SELFISH?

Either Democrats don't know what "selfish" means, or else they have managed to paint a picture of selfishness that fits their agenda. The guy who earned it is the bad guy and the guy who takes it is the good guy.
None of this stuff is true.

Again, it is amazing to me just how uninterested in policy conservatives continue to be. The federal budget is not some mystery. These generic the government takes from blah, blah, blah and gives to blah, blah blah talking points has no relation to the actual spending in the actual budget.

The largest most expensive government programs are the most popular with conservatives. You can't claim to be for small government and yet hugely support the largest federal government programs. Social Security is big government, Military spending is big government. Medicare is big government, Medicaid is big government, etc and so on.

conservatives are not in favor of the government spending less and we waste time pretending otherwise.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahrrier View Post
So called conservatives are just as bad as liberals. If you have children and take the child deductions and credits you are getting a hand out. Why should those who did not help make the kid have to support it? If you take a mortgage deduction you are being given a subsidy (and the real estate industry is also). Why should apartment renters help support someone buy a home? Ever fill out a tax form for a corporation? They can deduct everything from gas tax to filing cabinets. They can drive a company car and deduct it and the mileage, have dinner with their mother in law who is a co-owner and deduct the meal for taxes. This was the intent of the tax code which folks forget...to help business. It is only natural that those who do the labor ask for the same breaks. Don't like it...one answer is a flat tax for businesses and individuals with no tax deductions and no tax credits. But neither side will agree to that and we are left with a welfare state for business and individuals.
Sorry, but no.

See if you can follow this: the government not taking your money that you did earn isn't the same thing as the government giving you money that you never earned

Make sense?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Liberals in this country want to take from people who have earned a living and give those assets to people who have not earned it.

Liberal politicians, have successfully changed the notion of "selfishness" into something that is perceived by people who take, as "entitlement".

Why is it that with Democrats, it's selfish for someone to want to keep what they've earned?

Why is it not also selfish then, for someone to want to take it? (via left wing big government)

Isn't stealing and redistribution, SELFISH?

Either Democrats don't know what "selfish" means, or else they have managed to paint a picture of selfishness that fits their agenda. The guy who earned it is the bad guy and the guy who takes it is the good guy.

Doesn't this depend on the meaning of the word 'earn'?

I worked for an employer who owns several convenience stores. He makes about $3M a year and his total payroll is under $500,000.

The employees earn about $8 per hour. Did the employer really earn $1500 per hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies