Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,454,281 times

Advertisements

Everyone blames Obama for the economy and that he is only making the recovery worse. Wasn't he doomed from the start? A lot of the jobs created during Bush and Clinton were unsustainable in the first place that would never have a chance of coming back?

I think its safe to say the largest jobs affected were the ones related to the housing market. This just doesn't include the person building the home, it had a trickle down effect affecting the Fence Builder, the Fence Maker, the Patio Builder, the playground manufacturer, the carper makers, to the appliance makers and plenty of others.

Other jobs that were created during these booms also have a lesser chance of coming back, things that were more consumption related like the person who will pick up your dogs crap or some boutique in a Middle Class Suburb.

What kind of real jobs do we even have in this country anymore? We don't produce anything, we are just a service based economy that is set to see more bubbles in Education and Health Care. The Education bubble might be the worst bubble of them all and that is only just beginning.

I feel like our Economy is nothing but an illusion and ponzi scheme. What is the next scheme wall street comes up with? They already did the Junk Bonds in the 80's and the Credit Default Swaps in the 2000's, what is next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:50 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
The economy during Clinton was real. It wasn't created by de-regulation or giving tax breaks we couldn't afford. People on all income levels saw their incomes rise. The number of people on welfare were at all time lows. The number of people in poverty were at all time lows. There was a huge boom of millionaires too. We had a budget surplus and even got some money back because of it.

The economy during Bush was fake. It was created by unsustainable de-regulation and giving tax breaks we couldn't afford. During the peak years, the top bracket saw their incomes rise, while the middle-class and poor saw their incomes stay relatively flat. It was a boom that was unsustainable and paid on a credit card benefiting mostly the top earners.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
You must be over 50...... Clinton sold us out to china and created the EPA. His gift of gab was stunning and his golden bubble broke long after he was impeached and gone, in Oct 2004.

GWB got hit with 9/11 9 months after he took office, and GWB wasn't what the country needed in the first place.

The USA hasn't have an effective leader in the WH since Regan.

I sure don't like seeing Bill the Shamed and Impeached polling for anyone! The truth is he never did have any class, just a mouth full of golden lies.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The economy during Clinton was real. It wasn't created by de-regulation or giving tax breaks we couldn't afford. People on all income levels saw their incomes rise. The number of people on welfare were at all time lows. The number of people in poverty were at all time lows. There was a huge boom of millionaires too. We had a budget surplus and even got some money back because of it.

The economy during Bush was fake. It was created by unsustainable de-regulation and giving tax breaks we couldn't afford. During the peak years, the top bracket saw their incomes rise, while the middle-class and poor saw their incomes stay relatively flat. It was a boom that was unsustainable and paid on a credit card benefiting mostly the top earners.
Not really....... That money back was only for states that the electoral college gained him his seat. What he had was a gift of gab which got him rich. it also got him secret service for life which if anyone needs it's him, and that might not be enough when the mom and pa public finally figure it out.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Still it is Bushes fault ...lol

Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Still it is Bushes fault ...lol
If i read you correctly, you are pointing to the pre biblical Bush dating back thousands of years!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Not really....... That money back was only for states that the electoral college gained him his seat. What he had was a gift of gab which got him rich. it also got him secret service for life which if anyone needs it's him, and that might not be enough when the mom and pa public finally figure it out.
We received checks in Alaska and I know my state is solid red. Maybe you weren't paying Federal Taxes. Hypocrite lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:01 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Everyone blames Obama for the economy and that he is only making the recovery worse. Wasn't he doomed from the start? A lot of the jobs created during Bush and Clinton were unsustainable in the first place that would never have a chance of coming back?

I think its safe to say the largest jobs affected were the ones related to the housing market. This just doesn't include the person building the home, it had a trickle down effect affecting the Fence Builder, the Fence Maker, the Patio Builder, the playground manufacturer, the carper makers, to the appliance makers and plenty of others.

Other jobs that were created during these booms also have a lesser chance of coming back, things that were more consumption related like the person who will pick up your dogs crap or some boutique in a Middle Class Suburb.

What kind of real jobs do we even have in this country anymore? We don't produce anything, we are just a service based economy that is set to see more bubbles in Education and Health Care. The Education bubble might be the worst bubble of them all and that is only just beginning.

I feel like our Economy is nothing but an illusion and ponzi scheme. What is the next scheme wall street comes up with? They already did the Junk Bonds in the 80's and the Credit Default Swaps in the 2000's, what is next?
Yep. They're unsustainable because it was all financed by debt.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,454,281 times
Its only going to get worse, the Education bubble is going to be just as bad as the housing bubble. When you have 20,000 kids studying art history at some 100k a year Liberal Arts School or a criminal justice degree at University of Phoenix, what kind of job are you actually going to get in that.

In the words of Judge Smails - The world needs ditch digs too

The housing bubble duped people into thinking houses were a good investment so they paid 300,000 for something worth 100,000. The Education bubble is duping people into thinking they can get a better paying job/life but end up working at a Starbucks with 200,000 dollars worth of debt.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We received checks in Alaska and I know my state is solid red. Maybe you weren't paying Federal Taxes. Hypocrite lol.
I can only wish i wasn't paying fed taxes..... i think I might not pay them this next time... I worked for the money and no one else helped me, so i must be entitled to what i earned right?

For sure i know what i need better the govt too, like maybe a new truck!

Or maybe I just don't understand, and you lefties will buy me a new truck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies