Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can do one thing...wait on line for one MRE and 2 small bottles of water.
And complain that nobody is helping them.
Yes they can, but that won't be enough in NJ or NY even in this mild early Fall weather for city dwellers. These people won't last well huddled by a barrel with a fire in it. And that's if no one very evil shows up....

For the old, weak, very young it is dying time, unless the Govt does in fact step up to the plate, and i have no idea if the Govt has enough ability to do so. I don't think the govt has that type of resources enough in these down times. The nights are going to be in the lower 40's there over this coming weekend. In Kat it was still in the high 70's in night and in the high 80's in day, nothing like here now.

Me: I care to a point but only to a point. The left here on CD has hardened me more. i would throw 100 bucks at the problem max, but i can;t even trust I would be sending it to someone in need and i am not shipping a box of batteries, cheap flash light and M&M's like i did in Desert Storm. back then i sent 2 big office chair boxes which was all i could do with about 500 bucks worth of junk in each one.

But these people don't need shampoo, colored pencils and or M&M's....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
These people in the East Village can walk uptown where there's power and normalcy. I have no idea why they're not doing that. It's what my 2 friends did. Bus service is running as well. They're not trapped there... and there are shelters as well.

I think these problems unfortunately are concentrated in the projects down on D. I had a friend who used to live there, her mother evacuated from there. They told everyone to leave for shelters prior to the storms and I believe cut the power.

Here in NJ tempers are flaring about the gas, but I've seen police presence at the stations today keeping it in check.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I was about to post the same thing but your words describe what I was thinking to a tee.

These people can't stock canned goods and bottled water, flashlights, candles and batteries like they were told to do ?
Same for the folks that ventured out Wednesday looking for gas.
No, they can't because that's considered "roughing it" and only "conservatards" do that because they're so paranoid.

No if but when something like a x-class solar flare puts them without electronics and power for up to and maybe even over a year you can expect people in the major cities to go immediately into civil unrest and immediately revert to animalistic ways...

Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
No, they can't because that's considered "roughing it" and only "conservatards" do that because they're so paranoid.

No if but when something like a x-class solar flare puts them without electronics and power for up to and maybe even over a year you can expect people in the major cities to go immediately into civil unrest and immediately revert to animalistic ways...
Funny, I'm a the libbiest of libs and had those things stocked prior to the storm

Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Just spit balling here but, I didn't see anyone in the photos looking like they just caught a bus out of buckenwald or camp auschwitz so I doubt they are in fear for their lives anytime soon. They can wait for their bag of Utz potato chips another day. Same for bagel and a smear. They'll survive. And unless they were living in subterranean style I'm confident they caught a news clip or two of the impending disaster coming their way.

News flash, NEXT time do what we do down south in hurricane alley, stock up on NON-perishable items AHEAD of time dahlings, fill the tub up along with some jugs of water, have a radio handy, you remember those don't you? Don't loot or sight see with the looters, lock your doors, seek higher ground if you are in a low lying area and in general, use your head so you won't have to stand in lines and we won't have to come get you. Peanut butter lasts forever, stock up now...beat the rush.......capiche?

Just some thoughts....

Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
It's gonna get a lot worse before it starts to get better.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Just spit balling here but, I didn't see anyone in the photos looking like they just caught a bus out of buckenwald or camp auschwitz so I doubt they are in fear for their lives anytime soon. They can wait for their bag of Utz potato chips another day. Same for bagel and a smear. They'll survive. And unless they were living in subterranean style I'm confident they caught a news clip or two of the impending disaster coming their way.

News flash, NEXT time do what we do down south in hurricane alley, stock up on NON-perishable items AHEAD of time dahlings, fill the tub up along with some jugs of water, have a radio handy, you remember those don't you? Don't loot or sight see with the looters, lock your doors, seek higher ground if you are in a low lying area and in general, use your head so you won't have to stand in lines and we won't have to come get you. Peanut butter lasts forever, stock up now...beat the rush.......capiche?

Just some thoughts....
A crank radio. lol

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM

I should reiterate. These people are not trapped downtown! There's bus service running as well. Once you get to midtown everything is running normally, stores are open, there's food and shelters. Everyone I know who lives downtown is getting everything they need uptown, some via foot.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Are you talking a bug out bag? Just not sure, but I think so... But over all they are city dwellers with no survival skills, and have wasted time not ever thinking a thing like this could happen.

Our Govt has lent them a false sense of security and that bubble is now broken. it's too late to begin learning....
Ummm... The government in CA is continuously reminding people to be prepared for an earthquake. They have a preparedness month and hold drills year-round. People are told to keep grab and go bags (and walking shoes) in their car and to store food, water and supplies at home. (A large trash barrel is recommended for storage. It can be stored in a closet.) Maybe NY and NJ needed to take a page from CA's playbook?

BTW - There are crank radios as well as crank (and solar) lights. Pretty much everything you would need to survive on your own and without outside power is available on the internet. There's even these odd things called manual can openers.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
don't fret!!! mayor bloom barf says "the new york marathon will be on though"!! all the runners can tour staten islands dead bodies and devastation while jogging through it.. americas priorities are so skewed.. what a great country!! and let the games begin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies