Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
FYI,

There are not lines for food all over the city. That is restricted to one specific area downtown where for whatever reason, a small group of people can't figure out how to walk 20 blocks to the area of the city that is up and running. It's really only under 27th street that has no power (gas is another story though)
Some people who do not have power have migrated to hotels that do have power.

Those people will be put out to accommodate those traveling in for the marathon. Sorry - I am not on board for doing the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
NYU had to evacuate, so clearly power was not maintained
They had to evacuate because their backup generators failed.

NYU is also not a public hospital, FYI

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Some people who do not have power have migrated to hotels that do have power.

Those people will be put out to accommodate those traveling in for the marathon. Sorry - I am not on board for doing the race.
Several hotels on Staten Island have refused to do so.

I personally wouldn't do it either, but I understand why they are.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The marathon is a huge money maker for NYC and the people who work there. Having said that, I understand why the mayor thinks it should go on, that now more than ever they need the economic benefits to the city that comes with the marathon. But it's not the call I would have made, given so many people in other parts of the city from where the marathon is routed still need a lot of help.....
He could postpone it a week or two.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There is another storm (much weaker) suppose to hit the area approximately next Tuesday. I still believe there will be much difficulty getting the people the ability to vote in Tuesdays election.

I would assume they are actively putting Plan B in effect for the elections. I suspect Paper ballots take much more time and effort then electronic voting.

May be interesting what politicians purpose this weekend about the election Tuesday.
The majority of NYC is up and running right now.

It will not be difficult to give people the ability to vote.

My community center is on generator power, and that is where I will vote on Tuesday.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
They had to evacuate because their backup generators failed.

NYU is also not a public hospital, FYI
Yes, only after the power went out first
NYC doesn't have codes pertaining to generators in hospitals?

you too have an odd sense of priorities, remind me to not rely on you along with other gubbermint types in an emergency

Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes, only after the power went out first
NYC doesn't have codes pertaining to generators in hospitals?

you too have an odd sense of priorities, remind me to not rely on you along with other gubbermint types in an emergency
Yes, they do have codes and the codes were met.

Unfortunately a combination of many unique things caused them to fail.

I'm perfectly fine and prepped in an emergency and have been for days here. Not relying on any type of Government right now, nor have I since the storm... so not really sure what you're talking about. In fact, I am housing and assisting several people right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Tractor trailers full of "bottled water" will deliver this for the RUNNERS in the marathon....Not for the "dumpster-diving" and thirsty residents who live in the city! Staten Island has zero food and water!! And the little dictator still wants to have a "game"???

Every..............I MEAN EVERY RESOURCE AVAILABLE SHOULD BE USED FOR HELP EFFORTS....NOT FOR STUPID MARATHONS, CIRCUSES OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

HAVE WE LOST OUR MINDS?????????

They are gonna be running thru areas that have no power.....no water!! No Food!! Isn't police needed for these, too??? Shouldn't police and EMTs be used for relief efforts rather than this???

When is Bloomerg up for re-election??

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
FYI,

There are not lines for food all over the city. That is restricted to one specific area downtown where for whatever reason, a small group of people can't figure out how to walk 20 blocks to the area of the city that is up and running. It's really only under 27th street that has no power (gas is another story though)
Boggles the mind. I remember back in '93 when the flood hit and the water was out for the entire city for a week and folks just sat around squealing and whining when all they had to do was drive ten minutes outside of town where the water was pumping right along. The stupidity of people amazes me.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Do you have an article other than Breitbart that states they will be using generators? They do not usually use generators for the marathon.
The news folks were talking about this. They have two generators to power the tents and the like for the marathong and another on stand by to power the media center. Then they say those three generators could power X amount of homes etc. This thing should be postponed for a week I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies