U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM

4,860 posts, read 1,013,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Who knows. Maybe white black couples are more likely to have higher education. I read somewhere that the more educated a BW was the higher her chances of getting married were, but the more education a WW had the lower chances of marriage were. I don't know that this income study controlled for such factors or that "chances" is the right word, but here's the data.

Interracial Couples Who Make the Most Money - NYTimes.com
This makes sense because a more educated black women is less likely to have become a single mother early in life. On the white side, a more educated white woman is more likely to be career oriented. So it makes sense that an educated black woman is more likely to be married because she is less likely to have become trapped in single motherhood poverty earlier in life while the less educated white woman is more likely to be married because she hasn't put off marriage for college and career.

Now if you compare more educated black women directly to more educated white women, that is to say compare along education lines rather than compare along race lines, you'll probably get a different outcome. Because I imagine educated women of different races are more similar to each other than they are to uneducated members of the same race.

Educational status plays a major part in determining the likely trajectory of a person's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM

5,486 posts, read 1,727,903 times
Very interesting study. Least likely to divorce:

Asian/Asian
White Male /Black Female
Hispanic W/Hispanic W
White/White
White Male/Asian Female
White Male/ Hispanic W Female

Apaprently white women don't do so hot if they are married to anyone but a white male. And black males.......

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM

4,668 posts, read 2,914,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
WM/BW have lower divorce rates because we have to put up with more stigma's and face more prejudice than any other coupling in the USA (part of the reason they are so rare). So by the time WM/BW get to the marriage stage the relationship is very solid.

As far as WW/BM go, well, white women are just crazy. No marriage partner makes them happy.
I wholeheartedly agree with the last paragraph.

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:40 AM

4,668 posts, read 2,914,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinycampbell View Post
Please stop making assumptions. Where did you get the idea that the black wife is lower class or came from a single parent household? I'll bet you that the majority of black women who marry white men are educated, have good jobs, and are marrying a white man on a similar economic level. Also, statistics show that women on AVERAGE make less than men (that includes WHITE WOMEN) so if it was true that black women are less likely to divorce a white man because the man makes more money, the same would be true for White women who ALSO make less money than their male counterparts. Also, if women tend to marry 'up' financially it would seem that the minority of white women WHO DO marry black men, would more often marry the ones WHO DO have money than the ones who do not. Again, based on your theory about women staying with a man for money, they should be less likely to leave their black husbands based off financial dependence. Clearly, this is not the case and their has to be ANOTHER reason why black wives stay with white husbands and white wives divorce their black ones.
Maybe it could be that hypergamy and feminism exists in the minds of most white females, which is why they'll divorce any husband for financial gain.

Unread 06-03-2013, 04:20 AM

156 posts, read 22,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinycampbell View Post
I hate when people assume ALL blacks are poor or uneducated and that the black woman who marries a white man must be marrying 'up' when in reality wm/bw couples tend to be educated and on an equal financial status than both wm/ww and bm/ww couples. Many black woman won't deal with a broke white guy (why do that when they could deal with a broke black one) and many educated white men would probably only be interested in an educated black woman. In fact, its been said that poor whites and poor blacks are more segregated than ones who are middle/upper class.
Don't say "In Fact" if you don't have the sources to prove that your assertion is indeed fact.

But from my own personal exp it's poor white women that mix with blacks.

Unread 06-03-2013, 04:39 AM

5,264 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
Don't say "In Fact" if you don't have the sources to prove that your assertion is indeed fact.

But from my own personal exp it's poor white women that mix with blacks.
The Kardashians would disagree with you.

Unread 06-03-2013, 04:54 AM

156 posts, read 22,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The Kardashians would disagree with you.
Show me proof for the assertion that poor people are more segregated than middle/upper class people.

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM

5,701 posts, read 1,143,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
of racial makeups in marriage. You can argue the reasons until youre blue in the face, but everyone knows the answer. White men and black women are both under appreciated greatly in society. It's natural that they would be empathetic to each others situation. Interestingly enough, the combination of white women married to black men is amongst the highest divorce rate.

Sounds like white women dont appreciate white men, and black men dont appreciate black women.

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library
I'll be honest, I attempted to read the article, but it is very long and I didn't feel like reading.

I didn't see the claim you are referencing in the title about wm/bw marriages having a lower divorce rate.

I think it is always a mistake to focus on skin color as having explanatory power.

If bw/wm married couples on average have vastly different socioeconomic, age, religious, etc characteristics then other married couples, those factors are probably the largest contributor to a difference if one actually exists.

For example maybe, bw/wm married couples are older on average then other married couples. I think couples who are older in their first marriage have a lower divorce rate.

Now maybe that kind of socioeconomic information is listed in the article, but I didn't read much past the first paragraph.

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM

2,150 posts, read 524,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't know that "everyone knows" that answer.

I think the answer comes from two main factors:

Most divorces are initiated by women. The white husband is less likely to divorce because men are less likely to divorce in general.

Women tend to marry up. And most blacks are less well off than most whites. So the black wife is less likely to divorce because it is more likely that the white husband represents a more secure life than she had coming likely from a single parent lower class household given that 70%+ of black births are to single mothers.

These factors combine to make it unsurprising that a white husband and black wife would create a stable marriage. I don't think it has to do with how society views the worth of different demographics. I think it has to do with how humans have evolved in mating patterns and the socioeconomic trends between the races.
actually, bw married to wm tend to be more educated and older. the maturity level might be a factor why these marriages last so long.

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM

5,701 posts, read 1,143,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't know that "everyone knows" that answer.

I think the answer comes from two main factors:

Most divorces are initiated by women. The white husband is less likely to divorce because men are less likely to divorce in general.

Women tend to marry up. And most blacks are less well off than most whites. So the black wife is less likely to divorce because it is more likely that the white husband represents a more secure life than she had coming likely from a single parent lower class household given that 70%+ of black births are to single mothers.

These factors combine to make it unsurprising that a white husband and black wife would create a stable marriage. I don't think it has to do with how society views the worth of different demographics. I think it has to do with how humans have evolved in mating patterns and the socioeconomic trends between the races.
I think this is the danger in discussions like this, people give answers to complicated multifaceted issues that are more reflective of their personal biases, then rational thinking.

I think while it is true that in general black people are poorer than white people and that black women are poorer than black men and white men have more wealth than any group in the nation, when we are talking about marriages between wm/bw, we are talking about a relatively small subset of those groups.

At the individual level that axiom may not be true. It could be reversed. It could be that the bw who marry wm on average are more likely to have a college degree, or come from a two parent home, or a middle class family, or maybe there aren't any differences.

Also, citing the 76% oow birth rate to discuss adult bw is a big mistake. What if the black woman was born in 1980 when the oow birth rate was lower, what does the one today have to do with her life?

Unless you dig into the data, you don't know, so saying that bw view wm as security is more reflective of personal bias than actual knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies