Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM

27,116 posts, read 15,295,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I have friends and co-workers there. I just spoke to someone an hour ago. No one is helping in most areas.

Probsbl still unpacking their Red Tape.

They carry a lot of it everywhere they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 8,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
All In know is that this afternoon Obama was in Ohio slingin his line of BS....
Yes, he was in Hilliard preaching to the group there about what leadership is all about.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Easy. Give the money to the state and let them handle it. They know the area and the needs better than someone who doesn't live there and doesn't have to deal with any repercussions that may come along in the future.
Got it. What if the state (or county/region) is incapacitated? And, who at the state level assumes FEMA's role?

Nassau County's Office of Emergency Management is in shambles right now. The web site is dead. They were unprepared to handle a storm of this scale, and it shows--they are also having incredible difficulty working with local level authorities and with federal counterparts. Speak to anyone in Long Beach, Long Island to confirm.

Sandy-Damaged Long Beach, NY, Stranded By Agency Disorganization

Bloomberg was more focused on keeping the NYC Marathon alive than Staten Island's stranded residents until the major uproar from the public.

My point--it's not always as easy as it sounds. I do think an agency like FEMA needs reorganization to a degree, mechanisms to ensure accountability, just like every other agency, (I work with HUD, I know first hand), but, pushing the responsibility fully back to the state doesn't seem like the most effective solve either.

Maybe you can further elaborate how it would be handled at the state level, by who, and, what would happen in scenarios like Sandy? Not being argumentative, just trying to better understand your logic.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
All In know is that this afternoon Obama was in Ohio slingin his line of BS....
I would bet that he still did more for the relief effort from Ohio than did the bunch of whiners working themselves into a frenzy posting in this thread.

For example:

Obama orders fuel to be sent to areas hit by Sandy

Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Romney only has an 18.6% of winning!!! ahahahahaha

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com

Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM

10 posts, read 8,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I would bet that he still did more for the relief effort from Ohio than did the bunch of whiners working themselves into a frenzy posting in this thread.

For example:

Obama orders fuel to be sent to areas hit by Sandy
Great, now once they actually get it to the stations, and transfer the gas to their tanks,
all they need now is electricity so they can actually pump the gas.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,442,923 times
I'm finding it amusing right now all the people talking about staten island when the borough I live in has the title of "The Forgotten Borough" This island always gets the short end of the stick from NY not we do not have any connecting subways to go to manhattan or brooklyn. The only ways off this island is either by Ferry which for this whole week up until today was closed because the whtiehall terminal in lower manhattan was completely flooded, or we drive over a bridge that goes through brooklyn and eventually into Manhattan. I'm glad FEMA and the Red Cross came out to here because people in this borough need that help as many have lost homes,vehicles,lives. And as an aside to many of the conservatives on this site talking smack about Staten Island we are one of the only RED parts of NY nearly everyone that held any type of office in this borough is a republican, interesting is it not ?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Look at what's going on in Staten Island. Where's FEMA?

Where's obama?

Where's the gubmint?
"Big gubmint" accurately predicted the severity of Hurricane Sandy, issued warnings about the inevitable, extensive damage, issued evacuation advisories and mandatory evacuations, marshaled extensive resources to aid in the inevitable cleanup, built the roads that people would need to evacuate the area, set up shelters for evacuees, and urged those people who still insisted on staying to have at least a week's worth of supplies on hand.

And all of that was *before* the storm hit.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen65 View Post
Great, now once they actually get it to the stations, and transfer the gas to their tanks,
all they need now is electricity so they can actually pump the gas.
I imagine that they will pump directly from the trucks until the power comes back on.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Lolz...I wonder if alphamale regrets starting this thread now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies