Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,442 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in hearing peoples responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,346 times
I think the United States is too big to have any one single culture, and it is mostly regional.

Northwest
South
Midwest
Northeast

etc

There are tones that encompass everyone, but they generally have about as much in common with Canadians so I don't think they are specifically US ones.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,177 times
Fast food, cars, interstates, money, individualism and several distinct genres of music that can almost all trace their roots to impoverished black people, except for country music, but who cares about country music? On the other hand I guess bluegrass is okay... at least they know how to play their instruments.

Personally I don't think America's "standard" culture as described above is as interesting as the way that all the different cultures that make the country what it is interwine and interact with each other and with the basic "hot dogs and SUVs" stereotype.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
American culture, as I use the term, is a modern, liberal concept based on legal principles. It is based on Christian roots, but has moved beyond this to now espouse the rights of all religions, all races, and most lifestyles. It is a "work in progress", and obviously we haven't achieved all this perfectly, yet. But we are determined to try. Our culture has evolved beyond the tribal level, and beyond the family level, to the point that, as modern westerners, we now put our trust and confidence in the hands of strangers. We trust "the system", rather than the "man in power". Most nations don't yet do this, and this causes much inter-cultural misunderstandings.
Our christian background has made us, as Americans, subject to a sort of societal "guilt" shared with very few other nations- almost all of them in the West. We feel a duty to provide refuge for anyone who applies here, and this has been one of our most admirable traits. It has attracted immigrants from all over the globe, who come here in hopes of decent treatment; they usually get it, with very few conditions attached.
Unfortunately, we're now entering a new era of "multiculturalism", and this, I feel, is destined to fail. Multiculturalism, by its definition, states that all cultures are equally valid. I don't believe this, and I think some cultures are better than others. For example, wife beating, selling of children into the sex trade, female genital multilation, cannibalism, suicide bombing, blood feuds, and honor killings are all part of someone's culture in different parts of the world. I don't want them here. Yet, if we are truly multicultural, we'll have to explain why we don't want these things---and how do we do that?
I also think cultures have widely differing standards of aggression, and that, if left to their own devices, the more aggressive cultures would simply overwhelm the gentler ones.
I don't think there's ever been a successful multicultural society in history. They've either fallen apart in bloody wars, or been held together by force.
With all this in mind, I think we must admit that there's a limit to our cherished "inclusiveness". There are some aspects of some cultures that just aren't compatible with others. And I think the most sensible way to handle it is to tell the world, "you can come here, but we are a country---we have rules---we expect certain things out of you--and you must comply, if you want to live here. You are NOT free to do anything you want". I don't think this is unreasonable, and I don't see that we really have any choice.

Sorry if I've disappointed those who want to talk about food, music, or traditions. But our American culture has always incorporated these, and will continue to do so. I don't call this "multiculturalism". That's simply our "melting-pot" culture. But the other stuff--the ethical, moral values--should not be negotiable, and I fear very much that if we don't keep this in mind, we may wake up some day to find some new "residents" here who have absolutely no interest in fairness, women's rights, freedom of speech, or "sharing" our culture. Then what do we do?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 AM

44 posts, read 35,647 times
1. Television

2. Beer

3. "Duh, let's bomb them foreigners."

That just about encapsulates the whole modern American cultural experience.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
I always hear from (Europeans especially) that America "has no culture." I believe that is patently false, especially considering how many foreign nativists in other countries lament the "Americanization" of their own cultures, or the spread of "American culture" into their own countries.

I don't understand how "American culture" is any less palpable or valuable than any other immigrant or Latin American culture? (which, by the way, are mixed cultures as well).

Because we don't have a silly "national costume" or "common dance," we have no culture?

Show me something about "Mexican" culture or "Brazilian" culture that is sooo amazing that doesn't have an American correlative?

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-11-2007 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Oh, there is tons of American culture. How could there not be?

Rock & Roll, Jazz, C&W, Zydeco are some music examples. Dylan, Miles, Cash. Great literature from Twain, Vonnegut, Mailer, etc. The best films ever made such as Citizen Kane, the Godfather, etc.

Then there are the cultural currents or themes that run through the American psyche. Cars and the road is a huge one exemplified by Kerouac, Springsteen and literally dozens of road movies such as the Sugarland Express, Wild at Heart, Easy Rider and even Sideways.

Another is redemption or redefining yourself- a new start. Examples would be the Oakies, Pioneers, Pilgrims and even Malcolm X, a very American story of redefining who one is.

That's just a smattering. There is plenty. Great and trashy, its all here.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,860,886 times
  • The conviction that freedom is a gift from God, and thus a human birthright that no government can take away

• The English language

• The (Judæo-)Christian faith tradition

• The primacy of the individual over the collective—which derives from English common law

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,860,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I always hear from (Europeans especially) that America "has no culture." I believe that is patently false, especially considering how many foreign nativists in other countries lament the "Americanization" of their own cultures, or the spread of "American culture" into their own countries.

I don't understand how "American culture" is any less palpable or valuable than any other immigrant or Latin American culture? (which, by the way, are mixed cultures as well).

Because we don't have a silly "national costume" or "common dance," we have no culture?

Show me something about "Mexican" culture or "Brazilian" culture that is sooo amazing that doesn't have an American correlative?
Amen to everything you said there, Bro!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
The English language
I am not sure the native language of England could be considered American culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies