Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the dissolution of the United States?
I lean conservative, and I actually find the idea interesting. 35 22.88%
I lean conservative, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 36 23.53%
I lean liberal, and I find the idea kind of interesting. 30 19.61%
I lean liberal, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 52 33.99%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's so closed minded and bigotted of liberals to continually promote the notion that everybody who lives in a red state is a foaming at the mouth retarded redneck. Such is the way of liberals though. They are only tolerant of people who think exactly like they do.
True. The red / blue designation is quite useless and misleading. It ignores the fact that at least 15 states are both blue and red if you look at the last 4 presidential elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well if you partition the US based on your poll the Conservative states especially in the South would become 3rd. world nations overnight.
The economic powerhouses in the US are mostly based in liberal cities and states despite their regulations and taxes. There is a reason Amazon or Apple or Microsoft aren't based in Mississippi or Alabama.
Per Bureau of Economic Analysis, the GDP of the Southeast is ~3.3 Trillion. Per BLS data, the total population of its Southeast region is 75 million. Do the math and it comes out to $44,005 in per capita GDP. Hardly third world, but don't let facts from federal government sources get in the way

Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And there is a reason why Dell, Delta airlines, American airlines, Southwest Airlines and many other "economic powerhouses" are not based in NJ, CT or NY.
You've got to be tripping...

Fortune 500 2012: States: New York Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Fortune 500 2012: States: New Jersey Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Fortune 500 2012: States: Connecticut Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Per Bureau of Economic Analysis, the GDP of the Southeast is ~3.3 Trillion. Per BLS data, the total population of its Southeast region is 75 million. Do the math and it comes out to $44,005 in per capita GDP. Hardly third world, but don't let facts from federal government sources get in the way
Try GDP per capita and see how you come out.

List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I already tried it. Read my post again and see where I figured out GDP per capita. It's roughly $44,000 of per capita GDP for the South. Again, hardly third world.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
There was actually a plan during Pres Busch to inlclude more nations into the USA- ""In 2005, claims emerged from critics of North American integration that a "North American Union" was not only being planned, but was being implemented by the governments of Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You've got to be tripping...
None of your links disprove or even address my post.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Your own link disproves your statement. The LOWEST state is Miss. at about $33k GDP per capita. NO third world country is even close to Mississippi. And Miss is HIGHER than the EU as a whole, and higher than Spain, Israel, Greece, Portugal, Poland, South Korea, and Italy among many others.

"Third world country"... not even close.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
No wonder liberals are against the idea, they need conservatives to support them.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Here I am four years later posting the same maps that I posted 4 years ago showing the utter ridiculousness of this who non-sensical argument.
Who says it must along Red/Blue divisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The break-up of the nation into smaller nations probably will never grow popular.
Um, it is growing popular. And it will gain in popularity over time.

Argumentatively...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Except that all if all the red states joined together your economy would be so pathetic that you'd be set back about 100 years.
Wow, it'll take me a whole 2 seconds to prove both of you wrong.

$50,000 in Los Angeles equals $35,000 anywhere in Mississippi. In other words, if you made $50,000 in Mississippi, that would be equal to $65,000 in Los Angeles.

It's called the Cost-of-Living.

The price difference in apartment rental between Los Angeles and Mississippi is $1,175 per month. In other words, people in Los Angeles are throwing away $1,175/month on rent while people in Mississippi are living it up.

You cannot view things as they are....you have to view them as they will/would be.

The first thing that happens is people in Mississippi stop paying 10%-35% of their incomes in taxes to the national government masquerading as a federal government. Sure, Mississippi would have to pay for its own Food Stamp program (assuming the residents of Mississippi want it), but that isn't 10%-35% of the federal income taxes.

Capital Gains Taxes, those stay in Mississippi as to federal Estate Taxes.

The federal excise tax on gasoline, tires and other items....that stays in Mississippi, and Mississippi can eliminated or reduce those taxes.

Federal imposts.....tariffs, taxes and duties on imports/exports now go to Mississippi instead of the national government masquerading as a federal government.

FICA/SECA Payroll Tax and the HI Tax now stay in Mississippi, instead of going to the national government masquerading as a federal government.

I dare say Mississippi has no need for 6 carrier battle groups and 2 marine amphibious assault groups, so they won't be spending a lot on defense, or shrimp on treadmills or ant farms or any other stupid stuff.

If Mississippi was smart, it would nationalize its oil and natural gas assets, then bid them out. Let's say Mississippi gets 50% of the oil profits and which ever oil companies get 50%, what a great deal for Mississippi.

Before you all get ignorant, you might want to actually look into the matter.

Economically....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies