Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I wonder why they don't shut the gas off to the area?
If they shut off both gas and electricity before the storm hit, they wouldn't really have to worry as much about the people who stay in their homes.

The worst danger to the people are the explosions and fires caused by broken and cracked pipes. It would make sense to have the electricity off until an inspection is done to a flooded home to make sure water didn't affect the electrical systems and wiring. Same for gas, no gas should be turned back on for a house until an inspection is done on gas lines.

All that can be done at the central stations, shut down everything to areas that are sure to be affected.

Those houses in NY burned for that reason, it wasn't the water that made them explode and burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they shut off both gas and electricity before the storm hit, they wouldn't really have to worry as much about the people who stay in their homes.

The worst danger to the people are the explosions and fires caused by broken and cracked pipes. It would make sense to have the electricity off until an inspection is done to a flooded home to make sure water didn't affect the electrical systems and wiring. Same for gas, no gas should be turned back on for a house until an inspection is done on gas lines.

All that can be done at the central stations, shut down everything to areas that are sure to be affected.

Those houses in NY burned for that reason, it wasn't the water that made them explode and burn.
I'm guessing that they are trying to keep water out of the gas system so they are living with the leaks until they can dig them up and fix them. As long as the pipes are under pressure the water will not get in, but man they must have complete breaks just blowing gas out there. Seems they should find the areas and section them off somehow. Just a guess on my part.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What does that have to do with officials? And it WAS only a hurricane 1/tropical storm.
Someone asked why the gas wasn't already turned off.
As you yourself note, it was "only" a cat 1/tropical storm. Why should this necessitate taking such extreme measures when it hadn't been necessary in the past with similarly classified storms?

Get it now?

Bottom line: can't have it both ways. Nomenclature means nothing when scientists were warning that this thing was going to turn into a monster when it came ashore.
And now some of the same people who have from the beginning attempted to minimize the concern, based solely on how the storm was categorized, now want to condemn officials for likely having the same exact reaction that they themselves had.
Unbelievable.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Someone asked why the gas wasn't already turned off.
As you yourself note, it was "only" a cat 1/tropical storm. Why should this necessitate taking such extreme measures when it hadn't been necessary in the past with similarly classified storms?

Get it now?

Bottom line: can't have it both ways. Nomenclature means nothing when scientists were warning that this thing was going to turn into a monster when it came ashore.
And now some of the same people who have from the beginning attempted to minimize the concern, based solely on how the storm was categorized, now want to condemn officials for likely having the same exact reaction that they themselves had.
Unbelievable.
Regarding turning gas off ahead of time. I work for a utility and the gas dept does shut off gas to houses that they know are going to flood ahead of time, but I'm talking about spring flooding where they know a month weeks ahead who will be affected and pretty much which day the water will peak.

But we aren't talking about the numbers that they have affected out east. There really was no preparing for this disaster other than shutting off the main valves and that would be a disaster all in itself.

If they are having the problems I suspect they are having they may be looking at no gas service for months and maybe longer.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
I think it is a good idea to protect people. I'd be happy to see military on my street if I was in a devastating situation like most of these Sandy survivors. Be safe everyone...Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Regarding turning gas off ahead of time. I work for a utility and the gas dept does shut off gas to houses that they know are going to flood ahead of time, but I'm talking about spring flooding where they know a month weeks ahead who will be affected and pretty much which day the water will peak.

But we aren't talking about the numbers that they have affected out east. There really was no preparing for this disaster other than shutting off the main valves and that would be a disaster all in itself.

If they are having the problems I suspect they are having they may be looking at no gas service for months and maybe longer.
They are saying months, eight at least.

However these decisions are ultimately made, I've little doubt that the models are based on past similar experiences. What else could they use? All perfectly understandable.
The problem I am having is with the people who seem to only want to yell "gotcha" after the damage is done, after having themselves expressed something along the lines of "what are people freaking out about?"

Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I have. two of them. Hurricanes
I have been through the 1992, 2004 and 2005. It takes time to get things fixed. I thankfully was never displaced but I did need a new roof in 2004 and was without electric or water for 12 days because of all the trees. I finally got the roof a week before Christmas even tho the idiots pulled the old one off in October and then decided that they had to wait on shingles.

I remember tent city in 1992.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
there are broken sewer lines and gas leaking from the streets , its not safe and the roads are covered with sand....most ppl left theres only 50 ppl on the islands and most will be allowed to get there belongings.... I don't think you understand how bad the destruction is over here....your all safe in cozy cali which hopefully gets rocked by a 9.0 destroying your house and town completely so you know how we feel over here and why certain temporary laws are needed they have been lifted in several areas there not permanent....
Somehow or other we managed in Vermont after Irene did similar damage here without martial law.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
They were already not supposed to be there - Seaside was a mandatory evacuation area.
"Mandatory" evacuations are not actually mandatory, as that is unconstitutional.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Somehow or other we managed in Vermont after Irene did similar damage here without martial law.
This is a hell of alot worse then Vermont....Entire towns are gone , the coast has been reshapen and numerous bridges and railways have been washed out.... And It turns out it wasn't Martial law at all at least not ordered by the county or state.... The Star ledger has lied once again....adding to thier list of lies and goofs this past year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies