Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times

Advertisements

I'm sure all the global warming crowd will be overjoyed if these taxes become reality.

This is our government looking out for our well being, happiness and prosperity, can't let Americans who work for a living keep too much of their money and god forbid! spend it on themselves......

Right?????

Quote:
A green tax code for American businesses and individual taxpayers appears to be in the works by the US Treasury. The $1.5 million study is being carried out under the auspices of the National Academy of Science.

A major tax study currently being sponsored by the U.S. Treasury will give environmental activists a powerful new weapon in their campaign to alter the entire American economic and social landscape in the name of halting “climate change”—including the possible levying of new carbon taxes…
Eco-Taxes

This should be a topic that both Republicans and Democrats won't bash each other on (almost hopeless I know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
We've had those since Reagan, unless you suddenly believe companies don't pass costs onto consumers.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We've had those since Reagan, unless you suddenly believe companies don't pass costs onto consumers.
Looks like:

a. you didn't read the article

or

b. you are clueless as what the following means......

Quote:
individual taxpayers

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
They certainly try to pass on costs but frequently the market is so competitive they lack pricing leverage and are unable to pass costs on. Instead, they are forced to do combo of squeezing suppliers, increasing efficiency, or branching out into additional markets in order to gain greater economies of scale.

This is econ 101 and most of the time, at least in competitive markets, companies really do lack pricing leverage.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM

For all of you who want the United States of America to be more like Europe, you should be overjoyed when it becomes the law of the land....

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
True enough, but, sometimes they never get the chance. The EPA kills them off. The Coal industry comes
to mind.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
So far carbon taxes in my non-US jurisdiction really have turned out to be revenue neutral. So they levied the carbon tax, but simultaneously made tax cuts in other areas so that the government wasn't taxing the populace anymore. It's worked pretty well, I've been surprised with how fast society has responded and how Green this province is becoming. I particularly support as a person with a low carbon footprint because it means I don't have to pay as much tax. So for me, it's been a tax cut, and for those for whom it was a tax hike it was one that encourages, but does not force, a change to a greener lifestyle. I think this is good, because it was otherwise unfair with them being able to pollute as much as they wanted at artificially low prices while we all had to pay the price even if we hardly polluted at all.

http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/tbs/tp/climate/carbon_tax.htm

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
The Indians and Chinese are laughing at us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They certainly try to pass on costs but frequently the market is so competitive they lack pricing leverage and are unable to pass costs on. Instead, they are forced to do combo of squeezing suppliers, increasing efficiency, or branching out into additional markets in order to gain greater economies of scale.

This is econ 101 and most of the time, at least in competitive markets, companies really do lack pricing leverage.
Another person who seems to have missed the following:

individual taxpayers

Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
So far carbon taxes in my non-US jurisdiction really have turned out to be revenue neutral. So they levied the carbon tax, but simultaneously made tax cuts in other areas so that the government wasn't taxing the populace anymore. It's worked pretty well, I've been surprised with how fast society has responded and how Green this province is becoming. I particularly support as a person with a low carbon footprint because it means I don't have to pay as much tax. So for me, it's been a tax cut, and for those for whom it was a tax hike it was one that encourages, but does not force, a change to a greener lifestyle. I think this is good, because it was otherwise unfair with them being able to pollute as much as they want at artificially low prices while we all had to pay the price even if we hardly polluted at all.

Province of British Columbia
By golly you are so right, I'll bet Al Gore and Michael Moore will get hit really hard....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies