Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,277,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Good post, looks like jt's thread has been spoiled with the truth again.
Yeah, think I'm noticing a trend here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You're kidding. You really think FEMA should just pass out money?

The water contract is up for bid. The bid lowest bid will be accepted and the people who own stock in the winning water bottling company(s) will make money.

I thought Republicans LIKED it when private companies made money.
I just don't think FEMA should wait 5 days after a disaster to think about a contract bid.
Would you want to wait 5 days for water so the government could get "the best deal" ?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,684,835 times
Once Romney becomes President, FEMA will be under private douchebag control and we will have to speak to a Call Center in India and swipe our Credit Card if we want any water during a disaster.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM

45,307 posts, read 60,463,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just don't think FEMA should wait 5 days after a disaster to think about a contract bid.
Would you want to wait 5 days for water so the government could get "the best deal" ?
They don't "wait". The reality is that the locals are responsible for the first 5 days (up from 3 by the way).

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,489,521 times
Quote:

Let's go with the GOP idea. Privatize it. Then we will be short on tickle-me-elmos. Has anyone paid attention to shortages of batteries, candles etc. These are goods sold by private industry. Where was the genius of the private sector in not having enough stock in advance of a precdicted mega-storm? But that is the GOP answer. Private sector will get it right while government will screw it up. The water shortage is on Walmart not government correct? Who provides us gas? Exxon, mobile etc.. Why were they not prepared?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
Quote:
Actually my family was affected by a natural disaster. A major earthquake. We're tremendously responsible and had all of our earthquake supplies, including plenty of water, ready and waiting when needed.

But I kind of like knowing FEMA is there to help because had it been a hurricane all of our supplies would have been blown into the next county. That's the one nice thing about an earthquake. Everything is pretty much where you left it and you don't have to worry about flooding. The Sandy victims weren't that fortunate.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-04-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
How much water is FEMA supposed to keep on hand? What's the shelf life?
Here's an Idea. US Navy desalination units. I don't fault FEMA, but there are options available other than buying water from vendors.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,292,742 times
hly crap if you guys have no isue with it i am al for Canada loading up all the cases of bottled water, Canned food and as much fuel to keep back up Genernators runing in the hardest hiy areas we can and we can throw it on on our Cargo planes and heavy lift helicopters our C-17 Globemasters III's C-130J Super Hercules and CH-47F Chinooks and landing it so the national guard can distribute it out and just keep flying back and forth till we fill up a Airfield with supplies.

I am sure we send our Military to can have a bunch building supplies and materials from Canadian based Lowes, Home Depot, Rona and Canadian tire heck we have massive comerical saw mills loaded with al of diffrent sorts of lumber and plywood in B.C. and tons of Propane, LNG, Gas, Diesel to spare if you guys want it then i have no prblem haelpuing out since heping a friend out beats spending bilions at the U.N. to help out Countries that take our aid but still hate us.

I mean we send food to NK so I think we can do alot better as a country that is litteraly Right next door to our major citys and trandport hubs and we can actually help one of our true friends and our Real allies out and heck we might need to get the U.N. to fund Re-Building Hospitals, Schools, Roads, power and gas lines and other infastructure.

It seems we build some newer and nicer Roads in Iraq and Afghanistan then we have here in both our countries and we just use money earmarked to the U.N. and build up our own aging infastructure.

I Mean when Iran and NK Govronmant officals are all ticked off about us not spending the money on them we can tell them to take a hike maybe that will help force them to end their nulcear weapons programs because we send aid and they laugh at us while they continue to do the things we asked them to stop doing that forced us to put sanctions on them in the first place.

I mean what ever you guys need just ask since I have no problem of us spending billions helping you guys out because i know that if we were in the sma situation you guys wuld help us out money or being having a shortage isles of masive stores with more bottled water siting on shelves then we could possilby need is nothing when it comes to helping out our friends.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Emergency planning is a bottom up exercise. FEMA tells the locals (which includes individuals) to have a five day supply of necessities (water, food, meds, etc.) before expecting FEMA to respond. The Agency typically doesn't stockpile emergency supplies and that five days is planned as time to allow the situation on the ground to stabilize, local governments to implement their COOP and COG plans and for RFP's to go out to private businesses to supply items such as water.

FEMA is more a funding and paperwork agency than it is a first responder. Or even a fourth responder.
Exactly. It's wrong to jump on FEMA this early in the recovery, just as it was ridiculous to blame FEMA/Bush for conditions in New Orleans in the days immediately after of Katrina. I think the latter issue (Katrina/Bush) is the reason these issues are coming up. A little "if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander" situation. In other words, trying to hold the Obama administration to the same (but wrong) standard as Bush was. Silly tit-for-tat politicking more than a real story, other than to hopefully reset people's expectations for FEMA's capabilities to something more realistic.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Fema didn't prepare like they are supposed to. Now they canceled the marathon so they handed that water over to the relief efforts but they also have Nestle putting together 5 million more bottles to send down. I guess the question is why did they wait until friday to even get this ball rolling? That is not the FEMA boots on the ground folks fault but the idiots at the top for not having this stuff ready to go. Perhaps they thought it wouldn't be so bad? They should at least say hey we didn't think it was gonna be this bad and are now getting the stuff going. All we hear is crickets.

Heckuva job Brownie................urrrrr...........Fugate.

"STAMFORD, Conn., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- More than five million bottles of water will be arriving this weekend and early next week in New York and New Jersey communities hard hit by Hurricane Sandy. Approximately 100 trucks will be converging on the region from Nestle Waters North America (NWNA) plants in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas and Maine, where employees are working tirelessly to meet the acute needs of storm victims. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the New York Office of Emergency Management made the request for bottled water to meet immediate need in the region.

Nestle Waters North America Sending 5.4 Million Bottles of Water for Hurricane... -- STAMFORD, Conn., Nov. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies