Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Good reason NOT to shop Kroegers.
Do you honestly believe Krogers is the only company doing this? Boy are you in for a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
LOL, all companies have always limited employee hours. This isn't new, Target would limit my hours to like 25-29 hours weekly just so I wouldn't be considered full-time.
Really? I'm retired now, for all intents and purposes (no longer working for someone else). All my life, from 18 through full retirement, I worked full time and had full benefits. All without union.

Welcome to your new normal, democrats. And slowly but surely, you'll think it was always this new way. That's how they brainwash you.

I don't remotely feel sorry for you. Elections have consequences. Elected officials don't create jobs, per se, but they sure do invent and enforce stupid new laws (0care, for example), that change the way people live.

Enjoy~!

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-05-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: reply to deleted post

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Companies may have limited the hours worked to keep p/t status but before Obamacare it was the company that was able to decide at what point p/t became full time. It ranged from 34 hours to 40 hours.

With Obamacare, full time status is now set at 30 hours. So that part time worker who got 39 hours per week will no longer be part time according to Obamacare. If that company wants to keep their employees at part time status they will have to decrease hours to under 30. This is all companies now.

The 40 hour work week for full time just decreased 10 hours.
30 hours makes you a full time employee. These types of workers are hourly workers. Obamacare is making a lot more workers making a lot less salary now.

This will do wonders to further underemployment and our "Race to the Bottom".

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Companies may have limited the hours worked to keep p/t status but before Obamacare it was the company that was able to decide at what point p/t became full time. It ranged from 34 hours to 40 hours.

With Obamacare, full time status is now set at 30 hours. So that part time worker who got 39 hours per week will no longer be part time according to Obamacare. If that company wants to keep their employees at part time status they will have to decrease hours to under 30. This is all companies now.

The 40 hour work week for full time just decreased 10 hours.
30 hours makes you a full time employee. These types of workers are hourly workers. Obamacare is making a lot more workers making a lot less salary now.

This will do wonders to further underemployment and our "Race to the Bottom".
You realize, I hope, that companies hire people to satisfy man hour needs. The full time employees will still be full time employees, there will likely be more part time employees. I fail to see the issue, other than more people earning some income, albeit part time.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You realize, I hope, that companies hire people to satisfy man hour needs. The full time employees will still be full time employees, there will likely be more part time employees. I fail to see the issue, other than more people earning some income, albeit part time.
So you fail to see that a person who used to work 35 or more hours as p/t is now reduced to under 30 hours as a problem ?

More people earning less money and working part time is not a viable road to recovery.

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. Currently 34 hours is considered full time by them. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Low census figures at our local nursing facilities here in southeast Wisconsin are forcing these corporate facilities to cut employees hours. My spouse's hours were nipped 5 hours last week, and that might be a trend until after the holiday season. In speaking of retail establishments, I've never known of any employee (except management positions) who worked more than 30 to 35 hours a week. Most dollar type stores only allow workers 15 to 20 hours a week. Most K mart associates only receive 20 to 30 hours per week.
If kroger is cutting back, it is possibly for other reasons, and not necessarily because of the Affordable Healthcare Act. Unless the independently owned kroger stores have crystal balls to gaze into to predict the outcome of tomorrow's election, in which case, they're already predicting an Obama win, because the willard and the GOP vow to repeal the healthcare law. so, there you have it, an Obama win? Maaaaybe.

Quote:
So you fail to see that a person who used to work 35 or more hours as p/t is now reduced to under 30 hours as a problem ?

More people earning less money and working part time is not a viable road to recovery.

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. Currently 34 hours is considered full time by them. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.
Interesting post Tex. Back in the horsedrawn carriage and buckboard days, full time meant a 40 hour work week, my how times have changed.

The largest employer, wallyworld will probably cut some hours of present employees, and hire more 15-20 hour a week workers.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:

Actually, yes I fail to see that as a problem. The poor, but improving, economy is the problem. As the economy improves, people who currently are part time will go into full time jobs. In the interim, many people are making do with less, the Kroger example just allows some of those with nothing, to make do with something. Focus on the actual problem, not the phony one presented in the OP that was designed simply to rile up some people.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
You don't suppose a worker whose hours are cut to basically half time might consider two jobs so as to increase their earnings?
Should be available hours from all those other employers also cutting hours, doncha think?

Or do you expect people will just sit around and cry that they can now only bring home 'half"?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Actually, yes I fail to see that as a problem. The poor, but improving, economy is the problem. As the economy improves, people who currently are part time will go into full time jobs. In the interim, many people are making do with less, the Kroger example just allows some of those with nothing, to make do with something. Focus on the actual problem, not the phony one presented in the OP that was designed simply to rile up some people.
No, the Kroger limit is people making something now making less of something.

It's going on in other businesses as well. More p/t workers hired and those already working having their hours capped.

The rules for this full time status change for Obamacare have the IRS looking back one year from 2014 for employee status.

IMO Obamacare has failed. Instead of more full time workers qualifying for the mandated insurance which is what Obamacare wanted, we see more people working less hours and will be dependent on the government pools for subsidized insurance.

So, instead of more people insured, we're going to see more people not insured and working less hours.

I wonder if the CBO will take this into account and rework their numbers for how much this will cost.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Just implement a single payer system and get it over with.
"We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities".

Sir Winston Churchill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies