Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Doug Ross @ Journal: EXCLUSIVE-RED ALERT: Kroger to Slash Hourly Workers to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Last week we found out that, beginning in January, any employee who is not full-time at that point, will be limited to 28 hours per week and all new hires will be subject to the same policy.
Good reason NOT to shop Kroegers.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Other grocers did this 30 years ago. Kroger is losing market share to Wal Mart throughout the south, as the majority of WMs are now superstores. 2 years before Obamacare, WM cut into Krogers here so bad, they stopped being open 24 hours.

Wal Mart beats their prices; Publix has a much better deli.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Just implement a single payer system and get it over with.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:

This practice, has happened, is happening, and will happen in the future, with our without Obamacare. I work with the urban poor, if you don't think restaurants, fast food chains, retail stores, generally speaking, the entire service industry, doesn't cap part-time workers at x hours per week to avoid paying them appropriate benefits, you are sorely mistaken.

As others mentioned, this would be a reason not to support this type of store, regardless. It's poor business practice to 'profit' off of the backs of your hard-working employees.

Obamacare would provide federal healthcare subsidies for the many part-time employees right now who are unable to receive benefits from their employers who have practiced this type of business prior to the birth of Obamacare.

Here's an article from the WSJ, not biased to one side, that provides more detail about the program, it's pros, cons, and, why something needs to be done to fix the present dysfunctional state of our healthcare system:

David Gamage: ObamaCare's Costs to the Working Class - WSJ.com

Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Krogers still exists? I thought that grocery chain went under all ready.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
This practice, has happened, is happening, and will happen in the future, with our without Obamacare. I work with the urban poor, if you don't think restaurants, fast food chains, retail stores, generally speaking, the entire service industry, doesn't cap part-time workers at x hours per week to avoid paying them appropriate benefits, you are sorely mistaken.
Correct.

Decades back, the nations leading payroll processors offered software that would WARN employers when either OT or Benefit elgible hours worked were being approached by employees. It was not so the employer could buy a cake to celebrate with the employees.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:

I'm sure we were warned of things like this but you know... 'we had to wait to read what was in the bill.'

Lower pay, fewer hours. And a loan to send Junior to college so he can get a lower paying job (if any) and longer hours. Maybe that's why Julia wants to sell her vagina to the government. She can get a better deal from them than if she were to marry Junior.

Express elevator to hell.... going down.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
I worked at Krogers 20 years ago. I wasn't allowed to have more than 24 hours for some reason, and I always had the highest I.P.M.'s (items per minute), so, from a meritocracy perspective, I definitely deserved more. But then very few of the people that I worked with came anywhere close to full-time employees.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:

So let me get this right. An Operative(spy) named "Faith" is quoted on a blog," Directorblue"; as having supplied the documentation you posted here???

Please humor me, tell me that this is correct so far..

Last edited by reconmark; 11-04-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies