Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM

200 posts, read 914,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
Great point even if I am not pro-choice.
I can appreciate this, too. Perhaps there is some empathy here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,109,604 times
This great point is where I stand, but I am pro-choice. Why? I don't want the government to interfere, decide, dictate for me and mine.

Quote:
Great point even if I am not pro-choice.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,461,089 times
Quote:
Many women believe that a "Fetus" is a baby and treat it just like any other loss.
These would tend to be women experiencing the failure of a wanted pregnancy and late enough in term to have developed a parental bond with the fetus. Such an event is hardly uncommon, unfortunately. And I presume you understand that the procedure you all like to call 'partial birth abortion' was developed in part so that parents enduring such a trauma would have something intact to wrap and to hold. Something to name and to honor and to lament. Something to grieve over. And something to bury and remember if they were of a mind to. Good thing we make that sort of stuff illegal...

Old 10-18-2007, 05:01 PM

I'd like to remind the posters that the abuse of negative reputation generally causes the giver a reduction in their own reputation points and perhaps an infraction.

I've erased most of the complaints about these negatives, as off topic, but I do think we should all remember giving negative reputation for opposing opinions is against TOS.

Carry on!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,461,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Fact or are you saying that sex has not become VERY casual. In fact if it were not so casual there would not be the number of abortions preformed. Careless and casual.
So what you are really opposed to is people having sex. Dirty stuff, that. At least if it's out of wedlock or for purposes of pleasure rather than procreation. That's why you oppose abortion. That's why you oppose contraception. That's why you favor abstinence-only sex-ed. Anything that could be taken as possibly encouraging people in even the slightest way toward the idea of having sex or more sex must have a firm stand taken against it. That's home-base for you, isn't it...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

236 posts, read 441,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That must have been a horrible decison to make but I have to ask the question: How would you have felt if the government told you that you and your wife would not be allowed to make that decison based on your own beliefs and medical advice but would be forced to follow a government mandate that conflicted with your choice?

I believe that abortion should only be used in extreme circumstances but I am conflicted about the government involvement in it. I was just thinking about your post and it reminded me of the contraversy(sry about spelling) surrounding Terry Shiavo (spelling again. sry). I am sure everyone remembers how it turned into a government issue instead of a personal family issue. New thread anyone?? So, I need to just shut up because my stance on that isuue conflicts with my issue on abortion.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,336,629 times
Quote:
I believe that abortion should only be used in extreme circumstances but I am conflicted about the government involvement in it. I was just thinking about your post and it reminded me of the contraversy(sry about spelling) surrounding Terry Shiavo (spelling again. sry). I am sure everyone remembers how it turned into a government issue instead of a personal family issue. New thread anyone?? So, I need to just shut up because my stance on that isuue conflicts with my issue on abortion.

I think you're expressing your feelings honestly and there's nothing wrong with that. I think the Terri Schiavo case is relevant here because it's really the same issue, should we allow the government to be involved in what many believe, myself included, should be a reasoned personal/medical decison.

I take exception when people try to paint pro-choice as being pro-abortion. That's nothing more than cheap mud-slinging.

My only interest in the issue is that government keep out of what I believe should be a woman's personal decision based on her own feelings and beliefs, medical guidance, and the council of those she trusts.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,256,839 times
Ok, question. If someone tries to harm themselves such as attempting suicide then the gov't intervenes. They are Baker Acted and held against their will. So with your line of thought the government should not intervene and try and protect them from themselves? They should be allowed to carry it out because otherwise the government is sticking their head in personal business.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM

If attempted suicide is worth discussing, it should have it's own thread.

Let's stay on topic. References work, but taking the thread to another topic altogether is just derailing it.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,317,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I take exception when people try to paint pro-choice as being pro-abortion. That's nothing more than cheap mud-slinging.
What's cheap is the willingness of people to talk about killing babies as if it were analogous to deciding what to have for lunch.

"Aw, I'm not in the mood for twins. Kill 'em."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies