U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,613,644 times

Advertisements

Sure federal law trumps state and local laws, but marijuana legalization ensures local and state level authorities most likely won't have simple consumption citations as their highest priority. How do you think either candidate will deal with the potential for state level legalization, meaning that they most likely won't have local and state cooperation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,142,151 times
Well they can do the alcohol prohibition thing, and have "treasury" officers so a federal police force to enforce it locally. But that wasn't popular then, costs lots of money, and isn't likely. The DEA will likely go after the suppliers, not the small guys.

Likely if Romney wins, he'll try and enforce federal law. Since Obama will be a lame duck, whats the point of resisting it, let the experiment go unchallenged, and if it proves fruitful, then cancel enforcement nationwide.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM

27,820 posts, read 17,789,495 times
It's going to be interesting....it's been a while since states so blatently ignored federal law. We'll see if whoever wins goes all Lincoln on their azz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well they can do the alcohol prohibition thing, and have "treasury" officers so a federal police force to enforce it locally. But that wasn't popular then, costs lots of money, and isn't likely. The DEA will likely go after the suppliers, not the small guys.

Likely if Romney wins, he'll try and enforce federal law. Since Obama will be a lame duck, whats the point of resisting it, let the experiment go unchallenged, and if it proves fruitful, then cancel enforcement nationwide.

You have to remember...prohibition became a jobs program for the treasury department's entry to law enforcement. Even worse, when it expired, rather than dumping those federal workers, they created special taxes associated with firearms and related products, in order to continue this jobs program. I have trouble seeing the feds back down and largely disolve the DEA...so expect some kind of response.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's going to be interesting....it's been a while since states so blatently ignored federal law. We'll see if whoever wins goes all Lincoln on their azz.
Just like alcohol prohibition, some states passed laws to enforce prohibition on a state level. Others did not.

The federal government can still enforce it.

I think the most likely outcome is a lowering in the drugs "schedule" status.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,613,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's going to be pricey and time consuming getting 0 support from local and state authorities, and with the fiscal cliff looming, I just don't see how the feds will have the resources to tackle this.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's going to be pricey and time consuming getting 0 support from local and state authorities, and with the fiscal cliff looming, I just don't see how the feds will have the resources to tackle this.
The best enforcement they'll use are normal DEA agents going after the suppliers.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,759,379 times
Strange that liberals are in favor of states' rights when it comes to pot but not when it comes to abortion. To be fair, I support the rights of states to make their own laws regarding both abortion AND pot. My personal opinion on pot is I feel it should be legal with a valid medical prescription. The growing of pot should be legal with license. I know some want it to be completely legal for any personal use or growing for personal consumption or sale. I'm just giving my opinion.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,234,042 times
If they decide to like they do on states that do not show enforce of seat belt law and mnay others. They can withhold funding in areas like alw enforcemnt or otehr area they decide to.That is alwaqys how federal governamnt gets states to comply.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM

11,889 posts, read 10,445,750 times
It should be very interesting considering Obama is a proven liar on the issue and Romney doesn't even support medical marijuana.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM

6,099 posts, read 8,419,092 times
It'll be interesting to see. It was on the ballot here in CO and I really had to give a lot of thought to which way I wanted to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies