U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,623,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hurricane, take it from me, moving from DC to PacNW was a great move for me, but I bet you'd love Seattle and Colorado too. If you decide for Portland, well, just make sure you've for sure secured yourself a job: aint the best job market here.
Thanks for the info bud. Who knows, I am majoring in supply chain management, maybe a job at Nike could happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,075,727 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why Oregonians tack so far to the right whenever these ballot initiatives are put in front of them. They rejected gay marriage, and they reject this.
Isn't oregon's history one of racial tension/anti mixed-marriage?

perhaps lack of progressivity on ballot measures stems from the historical psyche of oregonians.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 PM

5,634 posts, read 5,572,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Thanks for the info bud. Who knows, I am majoring in supply chain management, maybe a job at Nike could happen...
You'll actually have to grow up and take and pass a drug test.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,623,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Actually, a lot of big companies don't drug test. I know Microsoft, up in rainy Seattle, doesn't. Sorry.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM

6,834 posts, read 7,862,001 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why Oregonians tack so far to the right whenever these ballot initiatives are put in front of them. They rejected gay marriage, and they reject this.
And yet DeFazio blows out Robinson in District 4. The ignorance is mindnumbing.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM

5,634 posts, read 5,572,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Actually, a lot of big companies don't drug test. I know Microsoft, up in rainy Seattle, doesn't. Sorry.
Got a link for that claim?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,075,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
funny thing about this. discounting federal government/public positions, there is an inverse relationship usually between prestige/pay of a job or company and their drug testing requirments.

Sure working at walmart or mcdonalds will drug test you, but being a 100k/year employee at MS, Google, Facebook...pretty much any big silicon valley/seattle tech firm will not test you and don't care.

Similar policies at hedge funds and strategy consulting.

So yeah....grow up and take a ****ty or public job, then yeah worry about it.

Take a productive high paying high prestige job in the private sector, they don't care.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 PM

27,058 posts, read 17,427,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
PacNW is amazing compared to DC.

The only downside:

While DC women aren't the best lookers, they are more attractive and dress better (definitely in NoVA) than PacNW women for sure.
Meh. Women in camo that hunt are HOT. Even better are ones on a dirt bike, ATV or Jeep. F Prada.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,532,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Isn't oregon's history one of racial tension/anti mixed-marriage?

perhaps lack of progressivity on ballot measures stems from the historical psyche of oregonians.
Racial tension? There were some racist laws along time ago, but Oregon's never really had a large enough population of non-white ethnicities outside of Portland for there to be much history of a racial divide clouding the states--there never was much of an economy outside of the lumber industry to attract many immigrants for much of the 20th Century. It's an overwhelmingly white state outside of the Portland Metro except for the more recent Latino population.

I think it's more so, that while the measure did extremely well in Portland and Multnomah County, it didn't do very well anywhere else in the state. In the suburban counties outside of Portland it didn't do well and in rural Oregon it most likely was heavily voted against. Oregon, while often claimed to have a libertarian streak--these days the more socially libertarian side and the small government fiscal libertarians are often on other sides of the fence.

Though, if you can't get the a lot of the same voters who just voted for Obama to vote for a marijuana legalization measure it's not going to pass. The more uptight suburban mom vote might have done in the measure---the Portland suburbs might not be as moderate as they seem on all issues.

That being said, while I supported this measure--and would've loved to see this pass, there was a lot press leading up to the election criticizing it. Basically even people who said they would be in favor of legalizing pot, said that this one in comparison to the Washington and Colorado laws was too open in terms of allowing almost unlimited amounts of pot for possession and setting up a new Oregon Cannabis Commision to be the primary regulator. Most of the major media outlets went against the measure.

Anyhow, I can't wait to drive up to Washington to see how this pans out. Between getting rid of laws requiring state run liquor stores and now legalizing marijuana, Washington is certainly looking a little more forward looking than Oregon these days.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,541,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Racial tension? There were some racist laws along time ago, but Oregon's never really had a large enough population of non-white ethnicities outside of Portland for there to be much history of a racial divide clouding the states--there never was much of an economy outside of the lumber industry to attract many immigrants for much of the 20th Century. It's an overwhelmingly white state outside of the Portland Metro except for the more recent Latino population.

I think it's more so, that while the measure did extremely well in Portland and Multnomah County, it didn't do very well anywhere else in the state. In the suburban counties outside of Portland it didn't do well and in rural Oregon it most likely was heavily voted against. Oregon, while often claimed to have a libertarian streak--these days the more socially libertarian side and the small government fiscal libertarians are often on other sides of the fence.

Though, if you can't get the a lot of the same voters who just voted for Obama to vote for a marijuana legalization measure it's not going to pass. The more uptight suburban mom vote might have done in the measure---the Portland suburbs might not be as moderate as they seem on all issues.

That being said, while I supported this measure--and would've loved to see this pass, there was a lot press leading up to the election criticizing it. Basically even people who said they would be in favor of legalizing pot, said that this one in comparison to the Washington and Colorado laws was too open in terms of allowing almost unlimited amounts of pot for possession and setting up a new Oregon Cannabis Commision to be the primary regulator. Most of the major media outlets went against the measure.

Anyhow, I can't wait to drive up to Washington to see how this pans out. Between getting rid of laws requiring state run liquor stores and now legalizing marijuana, Washington is certainly looking a little more forward looking than Oregon these days.
Washington might be the libertarian paradise I've been seeking afterall. But dang it I love Portland too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies