Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,422,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Personally, I hope that Obama demonstrates ways in which he will take ideas from the Republican side and compromise and work with them.

And I hope that Boehner and others on the Republican side will compromise on some Democratic ideas and work with them.

That is what rational adults would do. Neither side gets 100%, but each side get something.

But this being American politics...I can't say I have much hope.
They aren't rational, listen congress is filled with elders whom are too stuck in their ways to ever attempt to work with us progressive democrats. I'm not saying Democrats are willing to work with Republicans either though, so I wish we would've elected a a better congress who were younger (say 50) rather than all of these elders whom may be bitter rivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM

26,962 posts, read 15,180,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
Republicans have the House. I hope they don't even show up so not even a quorum can be reached.

Obama is stifling the economy with his endless new regulations. To congress: Roll back the regulations to the extent you can and oppose everything. Don't give an inch.

Obama has demonstrated in this term that he is willing to circumvent Congress anyway he can.
The House needs to be there and make sure as best they can that we are doing the right thing.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,421,337 times
Quote:
Republicans have the House. I hope they don't even show up so not even a quorum can be reached.
Wonderful. Just what the country needs. More extreme partisan politics that slogs down the system so jack-all gets done because that is a great solution to all our problems. That's how we fix everything. Do nothing. All because you don't like who won.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,560,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Wonderful. Just what the country needs. More extreme partisan politics that slogs down the system so jack-all gets done because that is a great solution to all our problems. That's how we fix everything. Do nothing. All because you don't like who won.
The problem is -- Obama doesn't know how to fix this mess. He's had 4 years to come up with spending cuts and he didn't come up with them, he only came up with more spending and rose the national debt to $16 trillion.

We do NOT want him to get more done. What he would get done is $32 trillion in national debt. And of course an extreme tax rate on all those who work for a living which is fewer and fewer of us.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 AM

26,962 posts, read 15,180,311 times
Someone tell Harry Reid to stop blocking any progress in Congress now.
He can start as soon as Congress resume it's session.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
The problem is -- Obama doesn't know how to fix this mess. He's had 4 years to come up with spending cuts and he didn't come up with them, he only came up with more spending and rose the national debt to $16 trillion.
I've yet to hear anything from either major party that suggested they knew how to fix this mess. Block everything has pretty much been the status quo for the last 4 years. It's gotten us nowhere. It's not going to suddenly work. The sides refusing to work together is not helping anyone regardless of what you think of Obama.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 AM

9,133 posts, read 5,783,022 times
Quote:
I've yet to hear anything from either major party that suggested they knew how to fix this mess. Block everything has pretty much been the status quo for the last 4 years. It's gotten us nowhere. It's not going to suddenly work. The sides refusing to work together is not helping anyone regardless of what you think of Obama.
Who was blockin' stuff for the first two of those years when Democrats ran it all?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,899,857 times
Quote:
Where are we supposed to be "going"???

Yea, we aren't getting "anywhere" with the gridlock... But exactly where are we supposed to be?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,560,901 times
Quote:
Obama does not know how to fix this mess. That should be clear to all by now. So would you really expect everyone is going to get behind him as he works to raise the national debt to $30 trillion?

Do you really expect the taxpayers to want to see their taxes jacked up to impossible rates? Working together when it comes to the liberals means never working on spending cuts but confiscating the wages of the working people and ridiculous amounts of debt and numbers of people on government handouts.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Who was blockin' stuff for the first two of those years when Democrats ran it all?
Dems didn't run it all by 3 months after the election when Kennedy's illness struck/worsened. He was all but out. They literally wheeled him in for a couple of acts (such as healthcare) just as they did Byrd. The rest of the time, when they weren't there, the Dems weren't fireproof. Then when his death came in August 2009, the fireproofing went out the window entirely - the makeup shifted.

More specifically, it takes 60 votes to stop a filibuster in the Senate. Whenever Kennedy was out, which was most of the time, they had 59. So, they could pass a budget for instance but without 60 votes to pass a filibuster, what they passed didn't matter. Thus, a block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies