U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 AM

31,833 posts, read 36,496,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I was just going to post something like this. I guess food isn't important...
I like those gas lines in the NY, NJ area and the resulting chaos. Maybe they can put windmills on the Jersey shore to power their electric cars.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,279,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
It's not about YOU, it's about the country as a whole.
And here I thought it was about WE THE PEOPLE.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 AM

29,824 posts, read 16,517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
And here I thought it was about WE THE PEOPLE.

That would be the country as a whole. See post above.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,516,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Red states feed the country. They see God more in their appreciation of our land, our Constitution and the freedom from big government.

The land of the farmers have made this country great. They are the breadbasket of this great country. They work hard, enjoy the fruits of their labor and have a respect for God and his creation. Family is important to them and their hospitality cannot be matched. God Bless the American farmer.
Seems like if the Red states did pull away, the blue states would have enough land to grow enough crops.. for support. As long as the blue states supported other blue states. I don't think we need the red states at all. Someone a whole lot smarter than I am, and with a great more time than I have, should research this for fun.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM

16,043 posts, read 17,832,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I was just going to post something like this. I guess food isn't important.

They don't seem to realize that without farm subsidies, prices of food would just go up. So, they'd still be subsidizing the red state bible belt. Well, if they value eating that is...
Check your facts:
Farm subsidies do NOT lower food prices

Six Reasons to Kill Farm Subsidies and Trade Barriers - Reason.com

Quote:
By shielding the domestic market from global competition, government farm programs raise the cost of food and with it the overall cost of living. According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the higher domestic food prices caused by U.S. farm programs transferred $16.2 billion from American consumers to domestic agricultural producers in 2004. That amounts to an annual "food tax" per household of $146. This consumer tax is paid over and above what we dole out to farmers through the federal budget.
We need each other. I would not encourage any states to secede. I would encourage state governments to long around and find ways to work together so that all of us can prosper. Of course, we are much less divided as citizens than this breakdown suggests because individual people make choices based on their own belief in how the social contract between citizens and the government should work.

Also see the chart below - 54.97% (without Florida) of our agricultural production comes from states that went blue for Obama.

State % of Total U.S.

1. blue California 13.20
2. red Texas
3. blue Iowa 6.07
4. red Nebraska
5. blue Minnesota 4.06
6. blue Illinois 4.02
7. red Kansas
8. red North Carolina
9. blue Wisconsin 2.85
10. ? Florida Probably blue 2.84
11.red Arkansas
12.red Georgia
13.red Indiana
14.blue Washington 2.43
15.red Missouri
16.blue Colorado 2.28
17.blue Ohio 2.26
18.red Oklahoma
19.red South Dakota
20.blue Pennsylvania 2.01
21.red Idaho
22.blue Michigan 1.79
23.red Kentucky
24.red Alabama
25.red North Dakota
26.red Mississippi
27.blue Oregon 1.53
28.blue New York 1.51
29.red Arizona
30.blue Virginia 1.11
31.blue New Mexico 1.06
32.red Tennessee
33.red Montana
34.red Louisiana
35.red South Carolina
36.blue Maryland 0.72
37.red Utah
38.red Wyoming
39.blue Delaware 0.39
40.blue New Jersey 0.36
41.blue Vermont 0.24
42.blue Maine 0.23
43.blue Hawai`i 0.23
44.blue Connecticut 0.22
45.blue Nevada 0.19
46.red West Virginia
47.blue Massachusetts 0.17
48.blue New Hampshire 0.07
49.blue Rhode Island 0.03
50.red Alaska
51. Washington, D.C.

I found this breakdown of the blue state vs red state idea quite interesting.

Blue States Are From Scandinavia, Red States Are From Guatemala | The New Republic

Old 11-10-2012, 12:55 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Seems like if the Red states did pull away, the blue states would have enough land to grow enough crops.. for support. As long as the blue states supported other blue states. I don't think we need the red states at all. Someone a whole lot smarter than I am, and with a great more time than I have, should research this for fun.
MOST of the food growing areas ARE "red" like central Cali, Illinois and so on. I'm gonna say most of Pa and NY are also red too. Like I think those areas would tell LA, SF, NYC, Chicagoland, Philly and so on to bug off.

Look at the map: your "blue" states would be separated by a sea of "red" states so the blues would HAVE to pay the reds to ship their stuff.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I found this breakdown of the blue state vs red state idea quite interesting.

Blue States Are From Scandinavia, Red States Are From Guatemala | The New Republic
I read through the article you linked to. 1 BIG thing that's left off is the South is much better in 2012 than in 1941; even many Black people are moving BACK down south.

Here in Arizona we still have a big illegal alien problem which needs to be dealt with as in deport any picked up by LE. Those people hurt the wages of blue collar Americans. The white collar crowd have also been hurt by sending their jobs out of the US but they don't wanna face it.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Red states feed the country. They see God more in their appreciation of our land, our Constitution and the freedom from big government.

The land of the farmers have made this country great. They are the breadbasket of this great country. They work hard, enjoy the fruits of their labor and have a respect for God and his creation. Family is important to them and their hospitality cannot be matched. God Bless the American farmer.
Not just this country is fed by the red states -- all that corn and wheat and beef are feeding much of the world.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,715,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
MOST of the food growing areas ARE "red" like central Cali, Illinois and so on. I'm gonna say most of Pa and NY are also red too. Like I think those areas would tell LA, SF, NYC, Chicagoland, Philly and so on to bug off.

Look at the map: your "blue" states would be separated by a sea of "red" states so the blues would HAVE to pay the reds to ship their stuff.
That's exactly right. As a general rule the ag counties are red counties, even in the blue states. And the blue states are in the process of ruining their agricultural economies. Here in California I've already referred to the devastation in the south San Joaquin Valley caused by environmentalist extremism. Family-run dairies are closing or leaving for other states, and we're doing our best to drive out our egg producers. It's a never-ending battle for CA farmers and many are pulling up stakes.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why are you advocating break-up of the union?

We fought a civil war over this very issue - let not those men, women, and children who died as a result of the conflict have done so in vain.
Times have changed. People also used to believe in staying in miserable marriages, no matter how bad things were, they couldn't divorce.

Now we have concepts like "irreconcilable differences". No need to spend your life in divided bitter relationship.

Imagine how great it would be for both sides if they didn't have to feel bogged down by the other. The blue states could raise taxes to incredible heights, and raise welfare handouts - give welfare recipients iPhones instead of the simpler ones.

Red states could limit welfare handouts or eliminate them, lower taxes and do what works for them.

Last edited by malamute; 11-10-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies