U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,604,430 times
Reputation: 4140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Texas and the south, with their gender aware, macho culture, would whip the crap out of the wussified, gender confused, suck-at-football blue state America, lol!
That's why the last two Super Bowls were between blue state teams?

 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 28,215,239 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Want to take on Blue State Oregon Ducks...they would waste you..yes even you Alabama.
I certainly wish the Alabama team had lost the other night so that Oregon and Kansas State could play in the BCS title game. I bet on Kansas State and their quarterback. Okay?
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times
Reputation: 19068
blue staters, be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,022 posts, read 4,524,879 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
blue staters, be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.
which, the secession, or a BCS title game against blue State Oregon?
 
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,541,964 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Red staters, if you don't like the election results, by all means, SECEDE FROM THE UNION! I would be the first to vote Texas, Arizona, and the bible belt out. We chose "socialism" and a bunch of us voted for gay marriage and legalized marijuana, while Arkansas didn't even want medical marijuana.

By all means tea partiers, go ahead and break free of our liberal, godless union. We would be better off without you anyway.
You know, even as a Gary Johnson voter who has been largely indifferent to the question of Obama or Romney for the last, oh, year and half, I've honestly never been as disgusted with the United States as I was last night (and yes, I remember 2004). I mean genuinely, thoroughly, unabashedly disgusted.

Why?

I've never personally accepted the notion that the U.S. is a fundamentally conservative or "right-of-center" country, but I have, however, always regarded the U.S. as a nation with a stronger libertarian (emphasis on the lower-case "l") tradition, past and present, than any other country in the modern world. In other words, I've generally tried to avoid viewing the U.S. in terms of Democrat vs Republican, Red vs Blue, Us vs Them, etc., and instead tried to focus on that fact that, as I saw it, average Americans shared a common ideolgocical/philosophical orientation that could usually transcend our fallacious political spectrum.

The re-election of President Obama, at least in my mind, right here and now, destroys any perception of existing American unity that I've ever had. While I do think that Mitt Romney would be just as antithetical to our political traditions as our re-elected president, I'm horrified that onwards of 50% of this country has actually seen, for the past four years, this polarizing, sociopathic "leader" of ours behaving like a glorified monarch (you know, in keeping with the grand tradition of his predecessor), yet affirmed him via the democratic process--and that's disgusting. Yes, America, you upheld the right of a king to rule, not once but twice. Impressive?

Anyway, within that 50+ percent of Americans who view Obama's presidency as a positive, we have people like victorianpunk (and, in fact, many, many others here on C-D alone) who believe that significant factions of Americans should no longer be citizens of their county and should have their states voted out (I guess?) of the union. While I'm certainly no stereotypical conservative from the Bible Belt, I'm fairly positive that even people like me (who merely dislike things such as legislative coercion, executive fiat, social engineering, etc.) and states similar to mine (a blue-"ish" state that still largely values its autonomy in relationship to the federal government) are unwelcome in this rising "new America" we've been hearing about for the last 18 hours.

And you know what? I'm not so sure that I want to be included in the "new America."


We can only speculate what the future has in store for the U.S. as it exists today, but who knows? Perhaps there really are two (if not more) Americas that will have to one day go their separate ways, regardless of whether they like it or not. As it stands, I'd personally have few complaints.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Red staters, if you don't like the election results, by all means, SECEDE FROM THE UNION! I would be the first to vote Texas, Arizona, and the bible belt out. We chose "socialism" and a bunch of us voted for gay marriage and legalized marijuana, while Arkansas didn't even want medical marijuana.

By all means tea partiers, go ahead and break free of our liberal, godless union. We would be better off without you anyway:

How Blue States Subsidize Red States | MRCYRIAC GOES TO WASHINGTON
Haha, I just saw this thread after posting this in the "I was wrong" thread:

Republicans still don't get the demographics of this country. They think it is still the country of powerful white men (Reagan, etc). They don't want to govern the whole country, they want to govern their own kind— the 53 % or so—those who either inherited or positioned for a great deal of wealth. It's too bad the Republicans cannot homestead in the red states, forming their own union. They would do so well at governing (er, not governing) themselves. It would kind of be what the Wild West once was - no government anything, just shooting it out in the streets. Ah, lawlessness.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
There aren't blue states. There are big blue cities within red states. Duh.
Not here. Just about the wholes state went "blue", big city or not big city. Ditto for most of the rest of New England.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,744,422 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
You know, even as a Gary Johnson voter who has been largely indifferent to the question of Obama or Romney for the last, oh, year and half, I've honestly never been as disgusted with the United States as I was last night (and yes, I remember 2004). I mean genuinely, thoroughly, unabashedly disgusted.

Why?

I've never personally accepted the notion that the U.S. is a fundamentally conservative or "right-of-center" country, but I have, however, always regarded the U.S. as a nation with a stronger libertarian (emphasis on the lower-case "l") tradition, past and present, than any other country in the modern world. In other words, I've generally tried to avoid viewing the U.S. in terms of Democrat vs Republican, Red vs Blue, Us vs Them, etc., and instead tried to focus on that fact that, as I saw it, average Americans shared a common ideolgocical/philosophical orientation that could usually transcend our fallacious political spectrum.

The re-election of President Obama, at least in my mind, right here and now, destroys any perception of existing American unity that I've ever had. While I do think that Mitt Romney would be just as antithetical to our political traditions as our re-elected president, I'm horrified that onwards of 50% of this country has actually seen, for the past four years, this polarizing, sociopathic "leader" of ours behaving like a glorified monarch (you know, in keeping with the grand tradition of his predecessor), yet affirmed him via the democratic process--and that's disgusting. Yes, America, you upheld the right of a king to rule, not once but twice. Impressive?

Anyway, within that 50+ percent of Americans who view Obama's presidency as a positive, we have people like victorianpunk (and, in fact, many, many others here on C-D alone) who believe that significant factions of Americans should no longer be citizens of their county and should have their states voted out (I guess?) of the union. While I'm certainly no stereotypical conservative from the Bible Belt, I'm fairly positive that even people like me (who merely dislike things such as legislative coercion, executive fiat, social engineering, etc.) and states similar to mine (a blue-"ish" state that still largely values its autonomy in relationship to the federal government) are unwelcome in this rising "new America" we've been hearing about for the last 18 hours.

And you know what? I'm not so sure that I want to be included in the "new America."


We can only speculate what the future has in store for the U.S. as it exists today, but who knows? Perhaps there really are two (if not more) Americas that will have to one day go their separate ways, regardless of whether they like it or not. As it stands, I'd personally have few complaints.

Let me say this (maybe it deserves its own thread) we as a "nation" were NEVER UNITED TO BEGIN WITH! New England and the South had little in common during the Revolution and they only united to fight a common enemy (the British) The Constitution only came into being after some rebellions (like Shay's) and the Articles of Confederation were thrown out. Then the Civil War, the Civil Rights movement with the federal government sending soldiers into the South to instill order etc.

Look at the history and face the truth: WE HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS GREAT UNITED NATION PEOPLE SAY WE ARE. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN UNITED ONLY BY A SHARED GOVERNMENT.


Here in Washington we are a left of center state which goes more and more to the left every year. Here in Washington, socialists like me (there, I said it) are not out of the ordinary. We have NOTHING IN COMMON with Alabama, Mississippi and the like.

If the Southern Redneck states can't get their act together and stop telling us in Blue America how to live, we should just go our separate ways and be done with it.

I am a gay friendly, pro-abortion, pro-marijuana, anti-war, pro-socialized healthcare, pro-strong environmental regulation, pro-across the board amnesty, pro-separation of church and state and pro-Scandinavian style Social-Democracy man and in my home state, I AM THE MAJORITY. And I will no longer apologize for my views and more of us will no longer sit quietly.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,744,422 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Another good point. When Obama was first elected Rick Perry mentioned secession and some Texans cheered the idea. I'd love to see Texas try that when yesterday Obama got 41% of the vote in Texas. Sounds like a civil war would break out in Texas if they seceded, or at the very least a vicious insurgency would crop up and wreck the state for years to come.
Cross migration. Same thing happened when Pakistan separated from India. Problem solved.
 
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
 
6,342 posts, read 8,744,422 times
Reputation: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

As someone that spent their younger years listening to the need to fight socialism, thinking it's a great thing is disgusting. If socialism is so great, why is Greece dying? Why did the USSR fail?

Why is Denmark such a great country with a lower national debt than we have? Why is Finland doing so well? Why is the economy of Brazil suddenly taking off?

If laissez fair economics are so great, why is Somalia not a paradise? Why is there so much poverty in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong's poorest living in 'coffin homes' - CNN.com

The USSR was communism, not social-democracy. Greece had a problem with tax cheats like Romney not paying their share. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top