U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,673,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Bailout was a poor way to handle it. Many good dealerships, with years of history in a community, were put out of business, and that means many jobs lost -- on a selective basis. Who is to say that a dealer with 40 years of success wouldn't have been the one to survive, if he hadn't been told to close his doors forever.

And now that GM is coming back - shouldn't some of those dealers be help too? We have one such dealer in our small town, whose showrooms look like empty warehouses. They're selling used cars now, and continuing with service work, and struggling. Ten people lost their jobs in a rural town, thanks to Obama's fascination with taxpayer funded bailouts.
Could help me understand how the auto bailout put dealerships out of business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,809,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Yer a strange one that's a fact Jack.. Maybe you better come back to the side you know.
At this point I don't think Obama could get a personal car loan from a used car dealer over in Indian Head.

Would give him 4,000 bucks?

Oh Indian Head is just south west of DC in case you ain't neva' been there.. There is a park with great big cannon set up there for the defense of DC in the 1860's.
You failed to understand my sarcasm which you might have had you watched the South Park clip on evolution .
I decided to spend some posts saying what liberals really meant not their PC method .
Liberals won the election so why not speak what they really mean.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,375,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Could help me understand how the auto bailout put dealerships out of business?
Certain dealerships were told to close their doors. They were making a living, employing people, providing a service to their communities, making a profit when out of the blue they were told to shut the doors. I've heard it rumored that many of these decisions might have been made on basis of their political affiliations. Of course, that can't be proved.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Certain dealerships were told to close their doors. They were making a living, employing people, providing a service to their communities, making a profit when out of the blue they were told to shut the doors. I've heard it rumored that many of these decisions might have been made on basis of their political affiliations. Of course, that can't be proved.
Who told them to close their doors and why did they listen?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,653,656 times
Quote:
Yup. The dealership my brother worked for was ordered closed. They tried to fight it but lost. I never understood why dealerships had to close as part of the deal.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yup. The dealership my brother worked for was ordered closed. They tried to fight it but lost. I never understood why dealerships had to close as part of the deal.
Who told them to close and why did they not fight it?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,375,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Who told them to close and why did they not fight it?

Two minutes on the internet and you'll have a full page...for examaple...

After union workers were well taken care of...

...no workers were less equal in the bailouts than the employees of GM and Chrysler dealerships. About 100,000 mostly blue-collar jobs — a number approaching the total work force of GM and Chrysler, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer — were put on the chopping block by “Team Auto,” the Obama administration’s auto-bailout task force, which insisted on extraordinarily rapid closures of auto dealerships during the government-organized bankruptcy proceedings.

In Bailout — other aspects of which have been praised by the Huffington Post, a notably progressive outlet — Barofsky paints a far more devastating portrait of the Obama administration’s arbitrary dealer closures...

Contrary to the administration’s claim that the dealer closings were entirely GM and Chrysler’s decisions, Barofsky writes that Obama’s “auto team had pressured the companies to close the dealerships” more rapidly and in greater numbers than the firms had wished. As a result, more than 2,000 dealership agreements were terminated within a few months in 2009.

Auto-Bailout Casualties - John Berlau & Mark Beatty - National Review Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or