Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Conservatives need to face certain realities: it isn't just Obama, it's the American people. This country has lost it. We need a new survival paradigm.
It is clear now that those of us that cling to Judeo-Christian values and the principles of our nation's founding fathers are the minority. We will not win elections in liberal apostate America. So, now what? How do we preserve our most deeply held beliefs when there are those that would eagerly declare those beliefs illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So a moderate republicna beleives in killing babies and spending money we do not have... thought that was a democrat
So a leftist christian beleives in god but does not follow his teachings again a democrat
Nope. Leftist Christians believe in God and follow Christ's teachings - to love our neighbors as ourselves, help the poor, the oppressed, the weak, the lonely, the mentally ill, the sick and the hungry.

Jesus did not say a word about abortion AND if you have quibbles with playing God, I trust you abstain from any and all medical care, medications and technology.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm hoping a freind of mine is right. He's an historian and he predicts that obama will do so much damage over the next 4+ years (we're not even halfway through his reign of stupidity ) that it will be a cold day in hell before a democrat wins the white house again because it's going to take a string of republican presidents to fix the mess that obama made (will make). I think he will go down in history as the worst president we ever had.

Anyway, what I'm doing. I'm cutting spending, deferring large purchases and looking for sell points in the stock market BEFORE it crashes. I've been sitting on about 40% cash just in case obama won reelection. I told my broker to put it in gold, silver and foriegn currency/bonds yesterday and to start getting rid of anything remotely risky in my portfolio. My goal for the next 4 years is just to hang on to what I have. Because I'm cutting spending, I'm increasing my contribution to my 401K to save on taxes too.

I agree with the OP. We're in survival mode right now.
1. I find your words very telling as to why this country is divided. Look at your words. You hope your friend is right that Obama will damage our country so badly that your political party will win. Nice, real nice. This is the problem today. Some of us are more interested in our politics than working together and making things better.

2. The "survival mode" thing is a bit heavy handed. I don't know where you get your news from but shut it off. I disappointed that someone in the education field has allowed themselves to fall to the Chicken Littles of the world.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It is clear now that those of us that cling to Judeo-Christian values and the principles of our nation's founding fathers are the minority. We will not win elections in liberal apostate America. So, now what? How do we preserve our most deeply held beliefs when there are those that would eagerly declare those beliefs illegal?
NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE YOUR RELIGIOUS RIGHTS AWAY. Please, show me how your religious rights have been violated. Affording others the same rights that you already enjoy does not impede on your rights.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope. Leftist Christians believe in God and follow Christ's teachings - to love our neighbors as ourselves, help the poor, the oppressed, the weak, the lonely, the mentally ill, the sick and the hungry.

Jesus did not say a word about abortion AND if you have quibbles with playing God, I trust you abstain from any and all medical care, medications and technology.
I do not think Jesus said anything about the government should take care of the weak and lonely.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I do not think Jesus said anything about the government should take care of the weak and lonely.
He said WE should. Since charity cannot possibly help all those that need help, we must have OUR government step in and help.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He said WE should. Since charity cannot possibly help all those that need help, we must have OUR government step in and help.
So in a liberal Christan's mind we means government... got it,,,, but i thought religion needed to stay out of government... so we the left wing Christians believe we the government should be the ones to help the poor although we left wing Christians want religion out of government

Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
So in a liberal Christan's mind we means government... got it,,,, but i thought religion needed to stay out of government... so we the left wing Christians believe we the government should be the ones to help the poor although we left wing Christians want religion out of government

This is more confusing or troubling to you than right wing Christians who bemoan an attack on their religious liberties and big government.... yet want to use the government to enforce THEIR PECULIAR VERSION of Christianity on everyone else in this country?

If a Christian is called to help the poor, and if a Democracy is a form of government in which the people govern themselves, then it should not be troubling for a Christian to believe that they should support government "charity".... what they can't do is COMPEL government charity based on the notion that it's demanded by God.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
No, what I am saying is two fold:

1. RWECs do not follow their own Holy Book in regards to what Jesus commanded his followers to do. As such, they don't support programs that they should because of what Jesus said.

2. Charities will never cover the need of people. Thus the need for government programs. Regardless of religion.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is more confusing or troubling to you than right wing Christians who bemoan an attack on their religious liberties and big government.... yet want to use the government to enforce THEIR PECULIAR VERSION of Christianity on everyone else in this country?

If a Christian is called to help the poor, and if a Democracy is a form of government in which the people govern themselves, then it should not be troubling for a Christian to believe that they should support government "charity".... what they can't do is COMPEL government charity based on the notion that it's demanded by God.
Exactly. Thanks TriMT7!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies