Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is more confusing or troubling to you than right wing Christians who bemoan an attack on their religious liberties and big government.... yet want to use the government to enforce THEIR PECULIAR VERSION of Christianity on everyone else in this country?

If a Christian is called to help the poor, and if a Democracy is a form of government in which the people govern themselves, then it should not be troubling for a Christian to believe that they should support government "charity".... what they can't do is COMPEL government charity based on the notion that it's demanded by God.
Yea i forget where Jesus supported government charity. so a liberals we want religion and state completely apart but use government as religious charities to help the poor...got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Yea i forget where Jesus supported government charity. so a liberals we want religion and state completely apart but use government as religious charities to help the poor...got it
No, sadly you don't get it. At all.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, sadly you don't get it. At all.
And im trying so hard to be part of Lberal united states

Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I suppose that's why there are no Amish hospitals or universities.
They take care of their own. Most Amish will use a hospital if necessary. And then, as soon as it is safe, will bring the patient home to be cared for by family. There are no Amish universities because their formal schooling stops after the 8th grade (around age 14). (There are many "types" of Amish, BTW. The community in the link is one of the more liberal groups. Some Amish would never even think of voting.)

One thing the Amish never do is tell someone else how to live. And they don't judge their neighbors for what they do or don't do.

Here's the thing. Certain pro-life people will stand in front of Planned Parenthood with a sign in an attempt to influence what other people choose to do. We all know what they'd actually like is to be able to tell other people what they can or can't do. The Amish don't do that. They live in their community and support the people in it. And they "let live" everyone else.

I'll also add I find it unsettling that the woman in the article thinks it's right to inflict what she wants ( in this case voting but it holds true for whatever it might be) on the Amish community. They've lived for over 200 years in this country keeping to themselves. They have a system and a life that works very well for them. I'm not sure why she thinks it's OK to attempt to make them change. She's not Amish. She wants something from them though.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-09-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:

Jesus supported charity, period. I don't recall him speaking out against Roman taxation or government run charity houses.

He also would likely have not supported the current capitalist system, since he was fairly clear about the accumulation of wealth as a bad thing.

The government does not give "charity" or "assistance" because of a RELIGIOUS DUTY to do so. However, Christians should SUPPORT government assistance because it is in keeping with Jesus' teachings that the poor should be assisted.

If religious charity was enough to fill the overwhelming need caused by our economic system (which will always have and need an underclass of low paid workers), then that would be great. However, today we have BOTH religious charity AND the government, and it's still not enough!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
So a leftist Christian picks and chooses what gospels he will follow while a right wing Christian will follow all gospels
Quite the opposite. It might be useful for you to actually read the gospels without them being interpreted by your pastor looking over your shoulder. Most of what Jesus commanded lines up very well with what liberals want. Take a good look at the Sheep and Goats passage of Matthew 25 ..... and of course again, the Sermon on the Mount. Take a look at ALL his sayings.

Quote:
Nope. Leftist Christians believe in God and follow Christ's teachings - to love our neighbors as ourselves, help the poor, the oppressed, the weak, the lonely, the mentally ill, the sick and the hungry.

Jesus did not say a word about abortion AND if you have quibbles with playing God, I trust you abstain from any and all medical care, medications and technology.
Quote:
No, what I am saying is two fold:

1. RWECs do not follow their own Holy Book in regards to what Jesus commanded his followers to do. As such, they don't support programs that they should because of what Jesus said.

2. Charities will never cover the need of people. Thus the need for government programs. Regardless of religion.
Thank you Magritte, for this and so many other thoughtful posts.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Well I contribute when I can but if over the fiscal cliff we go, sorry, the money has to go to the government instead. They will get their huge handling fee and they will throw the meatless bones to the poor.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Surely your God will prevail ? In this life or the next, what does it matter, his will be done and all that....Works in mysterious ways doesn't he ?

I have many Christian friends and they don't seem to be suffering too much under "European conditons", their survival is pretty assured. Nobody has stopped them from believing in God or practising their faith. Two of them are vicars in fact and no sign of trauma there....

They go to Church whenever they feel like it, and are not harassed for it. I know it's hard to believe but Europeans Secularists do not spend their lives thinking of cruel ways to torture Christians.

In many European countries ( Europe being a rather large and varied place) Legislation means that public funded institutions comply with the concept of separation of state and church which is only right and proper. And yet many Christians are leaders of governments, communities, businesses and rather successful nonetheless. Without the shrill holier than thou intolerant bigotry so common in American Christians. Faith does not belong in public policies, other than that knock yourself believing whatever you wish.

A secular society does not mean the ostracisation of Christians, it is more a question of accepting that many people lead secular lives or share other beliefs . It is certainly a lot more inclusive than Theocracies which exclude other faiths, or Atheism.

I find it sad that so many people live in fear and ignorance. If Christianity modernised a little bit it might have a better chance to keep its audience and appeal. It is its own worse enemy.

If you don't approve of Gay people don't be Gay. If you don't approve of Abortion don't have one. I am pretty sure if your God exists he is big enough to show his ire and smite us for our perceived "sins". How about just letting Him deal with those who offend his sensibilities ? I thought only God could pass judgement ?

Survival is not an issue. As long as you are willing to be tolerant and not wag your finger I could not care less who you worship or not. Most atheists are baffled by faith but do not care one way or another as long as nobody is trying to impose their creed on anyone else. Faith is all about your relationship to God is it not ?

So as long as YOU are faithful, and follows the precept of your faith then what is the problem. I have yet to meet anyone wanting to ban faith. I don't understand it but whatever floats your boat.... When you start imposing dogma though on others and want to legislate then yes I do take issue.
Thinking that gays are equal and should be accepted in society is not dogma??

lol....

Even if it's interpreted through The Constitution....The Constitution isn't dogma??

Everything is dogma or propaganda.....when it's finally removed...all you have is your preference.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Quite the opposite. It might be useful for you to actually read the gospels without them being interpreted by your pastor looking over your shoulder. Most of what Jesus commanded lines up very well with what liberals want. Take a good look at the Sheep and Goats passage of Matthew 25 ..... and of course again, the Sermon on the Mount. Take a look at ALL his sayings.

Thank you Magritte, for this and so many other thoughtful posts.
Thank god for leftwing Christians that think Jesus tells us to kill our unborn and lay with our brother.
Thank god you left wing Christians see god as you want, It keeps all of us fake believers who think killing the unborn is bad in place.. all hail Obama

Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Thank god for leftwing Christians that think Jesus tells us to kill our unborn and lay with our brother.
Thank god you left wing Christians see god as you want, It keeps all of us fake believers who think killing the unborn is bad in place.. all hail Obama

Poster child for RW Christian Nutjob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies