Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

The Republican/Conservtive/Neocon ideology destroyed the Republican party. The tea party branch was just a manifestation of this disorder that is the Conservative mindset.

Republicans are still clinging to Slavery times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Has the Tea Party destroyed the Republican Party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I'll start by stating I joined the Republican party when I was 16. I left the party after 20 or so years as there was no room for an Eisenhower/moderate Republican. The Tea Party with its extreme right ideology and over-the-top rhetoric on social issues has been a complete turn off for folks like me.

The Republican Party should throw these people out of the party.

The question is, has, or will, the Tea Party and/or extreme right ideology destroy the Republican Party?
It's not just the teabaggers. To an even greater extent, it's the crackpot religious right that's driving the GOP always deeper into the ditch. It will be great fun watching the GOP either shrink into a southern and rural midwest regional party or somehow regain a few brain cells and rise like a phoenix from the ashes of their self-inflicted stupidity.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If the Tea Party thinks its so relevant why not just break away from the Republican party and become the third option...
It will fit in somewhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

As for the Tea Party destroying the Republican party?
When you have a bunch of mean/miserable/whining old white folks who hate just about everything as your base get used to losing as you cant seriously think you are representing the majority of the voting public in todays America.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-21-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard
I'll start by stating I joined the Republican party when I was 16. I left the party after 20 or so years as there was no room for an Eisenhower/moderate Republican. The Tea Party with its extreme right ideology and over-the-top rhetoric on social issues has been a complete turn off for folks like me.

The Republican Party should throw these people out of the party.

The question is, has, or will, the Tea Party and/or extreme right ideology destroy the Republican Party?
This is exactly what the main character was expressing in the fictional HBO series, "Newsroom."

The Newsroom - Tea Party is the American Taliban - YouTube

Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's not just the teabaggers. To an even greater extent, it's the crackpot religious right that's driving the GOP always deeper into the ditch. It will be great fun watching the GOP either shrink into a southern and rural midwest regional party or somehow regain a few brain cells and rise like a phoenix from the ashes of their self-inflicted stupidity.

Even to the extent the Tea Party has contributed to the destruction, chalk a lot of that up to it's being co-opted and manipulated by right wing billionaires, such as Grover Norquist, the Koch family, Rupert Murdoch and the like, all with very focused agendas. And while conservatives may like to complain about lib-rul money like Soros, his contributions are small change compared to these guys. So much for the Tea Party being a "populist" movement!

Another factor I seldom see mentioned is the influence of all the so-called "think tanks", mostly conservative, and again largely financed by wingnut billionaires. And these are especially important because they "reframe" all that wingnuttery into half-azz "reasonable-sounding" academic arguments and talking points.... in fact the very ones we often hear used by the Right to justify their selfish, racist and otherwise absurd positions!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
It's time the GOP stops glorifying the idea that people don't have to know anything to be in politics. It's time for the party to stop talking about higher learning as though it's a bad thing and something to mock.
You are correct, but you may want to phrase this as their base would: In rural parts, you want them to obtain more "ed-u-ma-cat-ion". Being serious, America has far too many rural counties where the highest goal of both students and residents is High School linebacker, where the Friday Night game will see 2/3 the county attend each week, while Parent-Teacher conferences will see 10% attend, and where 5% of the graduating class will ever set foot in a classroom again at any point in their lives.

If they are lucky, there may be a smattering of them hired at a local, non-union factory doing grunt work at $10 or so per hour (the rest will do worse-high % on Welfare, some sell moonshine,pot, or meth, some depend on struggling family), but even the 5% will NEVER progress past that plus a 1.5% annual COLA in good years, and they ridiculously think illegals are holding them back. From what-they have not done enough for their own worth in the marketplace to need anyone holding them back. They held themselves back just fine, and the notion of clinging to their "guns and religion" is accurate, and they do so while they willingly watched the world pass them by, and advance into more sophisticated times.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM

^^ That's another powerful aspect of right wing ideology and the way they ''frame the argument''... that it also provides so many angry ''underachievers'' with a rationale for their situation (aka, ''I could be rich too, if it weren't for the guvmint, taxes, regulations, illegals, affirmative action, lib-rul elites, etc.'')!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^^ That's another powerful aspect of right wing ideology and the way they ''frame the argument''... that it also provides so many angry ''underachievers'' with a rationale for their situation (aka, ''I could be rich too, if it weren't for the guvmint, taxes, regulations, illegals, affirmative action, lib-rul elites, etc.'')!
Here is a good example : I live 30 miles from this country. 6.5% of adults have a college degree (Fine-if it is 1920).

3-4,000 attend High school football each week. County pop is 6,500.

I'm including it just for the colege grad rate-which I know is still about the same.Those unemployment percentages indicate the table was compiled around 2005.

Hartsville, Tennessee FSBO Real Estate, Buy or Sell homes, Apartments, Condos, Mortgage

Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Lightbulb Has the Tea Party destroyed the Republican Party?

Destroyed? No.

Ruined? Yes.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Here is a good example : I live 30 miles from this country. 6.5% of adults have a college degree (Fine-if it is 1920).

3-4,000 attend High school football each week. County pop is 6,500.

I'm including it just for the colege grad rate-which I know is still about the same.Those unemployment percentages indicate the table was compiled around 2005.

Hartsville, Tennessee FSBO Real Estate, Buy or Sell homes, Apartments, Condos, Mortgage
Wow, scary statistics! Of course improving that means becoming an edu-macated ''elite'' (which is kinda the poor white equivalent of black kids slamming their educated peers for ''acting white'')!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies