Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico's Status.
Statehood 50 58.14%
Status Quo. 9 10.47%
Independent Nation 27 31.40%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why would we want Puerto Rico to become a state? They're already a big drain on welfare! They come and work here in the US for ten months out of the year and then go back and not have to pay any federal taxes
We DO pay federal taxes we already pay FICA to fund Medicare and Social Security. We pay 0% federal income tax, but guess what? Our income tax rate is around 30% for non-high income earners, so the tax burden essentially amounts to almost the same as most states

Quote:
As residents of Puerto Rico pay into Social Security, Puerto Ricans are eligible for Social Security benefits upon retirement, but are excluded from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) (Commonwealth of Puerto Rico residents, unlike residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and residents of the 50 States, do not receive the SSI),[29] and the island actually receives less than 15% of the Medicaid funding it would normally receive if it were a U.S. state. However, Medicare providers receive less-than-full state-like reimbursements for services rendered to beneficiaries in Puerto Rico, even though the latter paid fully into the system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico

Stop crying and mooching off our work to be able to fully enjoy Medicare that WE paid for YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Are there any Puerto Ricans who want to be independent? As far as size affecting it's independence how big is PR compared to other caribbean islands? Also if it becomes a state won't the island become more Americanized and english more widely used?
5% voted for full independence... 61% voted for statehood.

Puerto Rico is the 4th largest Caribbean Island...

List of Caribbean Islands by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is larger than the states of Delaware and Rhode Island, similar in size to Connecticut.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
5% voted for full independence... 61% voted for statehood.
Why do so few vote for full independence?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
I lived on the island for a year and a half in 1999 and 2000. Giving Puerto Rico statehood at this time wouldn't be the right thing to do. Too many of them do not want to become a state, which includes those who either want to remain with the same status or to become independent. They would never want to have english as their primary language and would always be Puerto Ricans first and Americans second. I received mix reactions to my living there, from almost being treated like a prince by some, to those who hated me being there especially co-workers who felt I was taking a job from a Puerto Rican who could have had that job.

As for congress, I highly doubt they'd allow it to happen. It would cost billions of dollars to bring the island up to standards for infrastructure. And considering how much of a fraternity congress is, I doubt they'll forget and forgive the Puerto Ricans who shot up the House decades ago. And believe me, there are Puerto Ricans on the island who want independence bad enough that if it became a state they would cause trouble on the island.

To give you an idea of how much animosity there is among some of them, after we went into Iraq a friend of mine (a Puerto Rican) who was in the national guard on the island, told me about the mistreatment he received when one of his unit's vehicles broke down on the side of the road. They were in uniform of course and I guess in training, and alot of people driving buy yelled and threw things at them as they fixed the vehicle. He told me it was probably better I wasn't on the island anymore because he didn't know how dangerous it'd be for me. And let's not forget Vieques and how many Puerto Ricans wanted the training area there shut down.

All things considered I think they should remain with the same status. It's a gravy train for them, and many of them who get college educations (usually paid in part by Pell grants), come to the U.S. to work which gives us a more educated work force, and some of them do serve in the military.

I've wondered what would happen if the relationship ended and they stopped receiving so much financial assistance. Most Puerto Ricans alive today would have a hard time living the way their grandparents or great grandparents had to live. My friend's wife's grandparents told of how they lived. One pair of shoes for the whole family, and those shoes were reserved for when one of the family members had to walk into town. They told of other inconveniences but I don't recall all of them. It was a hard life and I have a feeling if financial aid stopped, they'd probably end up having an agreement with China or Russia to have military bases there for a handsome price. I don't foresee the relationship ending, however. It works decently for both the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

I personally enjoyed my time there and love the island. And still miss that little island princess, Raquelita from Hatillo. She was a doll.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I've wondered what would happen if the relationship ended and they stopped receiving so much financial assistance. Most Puerto Ricans alive today would have a hard time living the way their grandparents or great grandparents had to live.
Won't much of that be determined by the economic policies taken by an independent Puerto Rico? If PR establishes a market based economy(that they sort out) that allows for easier business activity then won't the island have fewer problems with poverty? If PR does get independence hopefully they'll go the rout closer to Chile or Brazil rather than the Venezuelan route.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Residents of Puerto Rico have realized that they have been missing out on getting all the bennies of being a State and there really is a Santa Claus but not only on 12/25 buy 365 days a year. And it would automatically become another 'blue' state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies