Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

...that four more years of Obama's policies will bring back 5% unemployment. I just don't see though how raising taxes on small businesses and individuals making more than $250,000/yr, requiring all businesses to provide healthcare, and imposing strict environmental regulations on corporations is going to create jobs. How liberals will it create jobs? I haven't heard an answer for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
...that four more years of Obama's policies will bring back 5% unemployment. I just don't see though how raising taxes on small businesses and individuals making more than $250,000/yr, requiring all businesses to provide healthcare, and imposing strict environmental regulations on corporations is going to create jobs. How liberals will it create jobs? I haven't heard an answer for that.
How would eliminating strict environmental regulations benefit the country?

Would you like a Love Canal in your backyard?

An unscrubbed coal fired powerplant upwind of your house?

Tap water with tasty little traces of benzene, aresenic, and dozens of other 'enes' and 'ics'. ?

I remember how poorly autos ran when smog controls were first mandated but I also know how superior they are today in both efficiency and longevity. And I have no reason to believe the manufactureres would've have done it voluntarily if they could put another nickel per unit in their coffers instead.

As far as I'm concerned this idea that all REGULATION! is evil is just wrong.

Or would you enjoy taking say a pain pill and having no idea what odd side effects it might create?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Tap water with tasty little traces of benzene, aresenic, and dozens of other 'enes' and 'ics'. ?

I remember how poorly autos ran when smog controls were first mandated but I also know how superior they are today in both efficiency and longevity. And I have no reason to believe the manufactureres would've have done it voluntarily if they could put another nickel per unit in their coffers instead.

Or would you enjoy taking say a pain pill and having no idea what odd side effects it might create?
You didn't answer my question. How would raising taxes during the worst recession since the Great Depression and imposing strict environmental regulations create jobs?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:

It won't. After the 4 years, we will get more excuses and lots of hokum based statistics on how things are better.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. How would raising taxes during the worst recession since the Great Depression and imposing strict environmental regulations create jobs?
The same way it always has since progressives first started doing it to clean up the right's messes in 1932.

And hasn't Rush explained to you how much more expensive those environmental cleanups are than the regulations that try to prevent them? Ask BP, who broke the regulations intended to prevent the Gulf oil disaster and had to pay big time. Which costs, of course, they passed on to the consumer. (Providing, of course, you actually consider the oil spill to be a problem.)

Simple economics and common sense.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:

Did any of those things happen when GW was Prez?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you can separate the issues.

i.e.: Let's say some corporation browbeats the government into very lax environmental regulations that create say 100 jobs, but also pollutes a stream that has a health impact on 1,000s for years to come.

How do you value those 100 jobs?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Quote:

Say, you might want make that into a campaign slogan.

Evil Webupwicans just want dirty air and dirty water.......and want the sick to just die already.

Ya'll can use it for o's third. fourth and fifth terms.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Did any of those things happen when GW was Prez?
I give up, did they?

Or did I ever say they did?

Did I even mention GW?

If you actually read what I wrote you'd see I mentioned the implementation of smog controls, something long before GW's time, to make the point that regulation often results in safer, more durable, cleaner products.

Did you have a point or are you just a touch paranoid about GW?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
At this point i expect all excuses to end and the race card with it. Obama stands on his own or he gets out. And 'We' should get a legal brief on the Benghazi attack, and Fast and Furious which i still think has merit to impeach Obama. Perhaps get him arrested and tried for Treason. A popular vote is no excuse to avoid any justice.

4 years of BS isn't just over.... 4 more years of MORE BS is gonna suck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies